Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Chemical waste treatment. Made a very good living doing that for years but they don't have that anymore, here.

Welcome to Clinton's "Information Society."

HR IS THE PROBLEM!! They are computerheaded morons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
They should institute a tariff based on lousy pollution control and **** poor occupational and safety laws.

These are costs that are not reflected in price. They should be.
But Trump is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
OMG! You just poked the hornet's nest here on the C-D Job Search forum. Don't speak of luck, especially as it pertains to job searching. The employed are employed because of their hard work and right decisions. Period. Luck has nothing to do with anything in life. There is no such thing as bad luck or good luck. Only hard work. Period.

At least that is what I have been told all my life - especially from lucky people.
Can you control luck? Can you conjure it up at will? If not, then it's better to concentrate your energies on things you can control.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:49 PM

881 posts, read 615,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
1. If life depended on luck, we'd all be screwed.
2. I remember hearing about dying industries as far back as the 1970s. Not in school, but in pop cultural references.
1. Luck is both good and bad and it's totally random. The very fact that you're here, out of all the other billions of sperm cells that tried to fertilize your mother's egg, is luck!
2. Well, aren't you lucky. English isn't my first language so it was all I could do to keep up with schoolwork, never mind "pop cultural references."

Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
OMG! You just poked the hornet's nest here on the C-D Job Search forum. Don't speak of luck, especially as it pertains to job searching. The employed are employed because of their hard work and right decisions. Period. Luck has nothing to do with anything in life. There is no such thing as bad luck or good luck. Only hard work. Period.

At least that is what I have been told all my life - especially from lucky people.
They just want to feel better about themselves...it's hard getting people to understand that there's really so much more to life than feeling good about yourself. See, that sounds kinda crazy, doesn't it?

Quote:
Can you control luck? Can you conjure it up at will? If not, then it's better to concentrate your energies on things you can control.
No one's saying that since it's all luck, we should just do nothing. You are obviously reacting to something within yourself instead of what folks are talking about...you should really find out what that is -- as Oscar Wilde said, to know oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
No one's saying that since it's all luck, we should just do nothing. You are obviously reacting to something within yourself instead of what folks are talking about...you should really find out what that is -- as Oscar Wilde said, to know oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance!
Wow. Advice from the person that calls himself Homeless Loser.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:36 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
You have to adapt. There's no way around it.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Wow. Advice from the person that calls himself Homeless Loser.
Not advice -- just observations; you're the one prescribing snake oil!

BTW, I'm just trolling the self-righteous with my Screen Name. Since you just don't get it.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:54 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
You are both right. And both wrong. There is a thread of luck in everything. And there is what you do with it once it happens. There are random events you have no control over. Anyone who doesn't recognize that will be slammed by it some day. And there are things you can do to prepare as best you can as well as adapt your response when those events happen. Anyone who doesn't recognize that will always be trapped by circumstances.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You are both right. And both wrong. There is a thread of luck in everything. And there is what you do with it once it happens. There are random events you have no control over. Anyone who doesn't recognize that will be slammed by it some day. And there are things you can do to prepare as best you can as well as adapt your response when those events happen. Anyone who doesn't recognize that will always be trapped by circumstances.
Actually, no.

There are two things going on here: 1) charlygal's mistaken reading of me and 2) the wider metaphysics of life.

Where 1's concerned, I am right insofar as charlygal's misinterpreting my remarks to be prescription instead of observation. Of course, I will duly take responsibility for any ambiguity that could have been prevented.

Where 2's concerned, well, I've got very good "circumstantial evidence" on my side -- that of simple logic. What is luck? It's just a label we put on...what, exactly? Does anyone know? Has anyone truly pondered this??

Why, the word "luck" is no more than a linguistic fig leaf for the unappealing (terrifying, even) fact that life is WHOLLY RANDOM -- but our egos, evolved as they have to re-ify our necessary but not always useful abstractions, does not easily admit such a thing (after all, the whole point of an ego is that it's not really subject to luck, to randomness -- "Triumph of the Will," if you will...)....

The fact is, people will do what it's in them to do. Like all those identical twins separated at birth with no contact with each other who wind up choosing the same professions, having the same hobbies, even marrying the same spouses with the same names!!!

That's all "luck" -- fate, destiny, genes, the Grace/Will of God...but our egos can't bear not being the center of the universe. And indeed, our egos are the centers of our own individual worlds, after all, the sole stars of our own heavens!

So it's a very hard thing to swallow -- I know.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:17 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
Quote:

As a guy who makes a nice six figure salary since his twenties, I agree partly. There is an element of chance. It just so happens I lived in Seattle, the second best IT job market in the country for tech roles. I doubt I would have entered tech if I was in Fargo North Dakota. Part of life is the element of chance, no matter how hard you work.

Also, keep in mind many people in management roles were put there by their buddies. Trump and his administration are a perfect example of how management get's their positions. I've even seen it in every company I've worked at. EVERY company. People hire their friends and promote them, not necessarily who is the smartest or hardest worker. It's mostly a friends and family plan that helps most succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search