Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:10 PM

334 posts, read 222,291 times

Advertisements

Can a prospective employer find out that you aren't really working at your current job? I am just wondering what a background check would truly turn up. In the past, I've never had a new job contact my previous job to verify employment. So, if I were to say that I'm currently at a company that let me go last year, how would a new job find out?

And yes, yes, yes, I know many of you are going to say, "Don't lie." But, I've known people in the past who put fake jobs on their resume to cover up a gap and the new company was none the wiser. Because when you've been unemployed for over 6 months, you are pretty much screwed unless you come up with some b.s. anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 PM

268 posts, read 283,657 times
It depends on what type of background check a company does.

Some background checks consist of only contacting previous employers to see if you worked there. Some go as far as asking dates and if your resume doesn't match those dates....your background check will show a discrepancy and they will ask you for w-2s to prove you worked those dates. Some don't check at all.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:20 PM

I'm talking about stating that I'm currently working at a job that let me go last year. So, instead of putting it on my resume as April 2014-April 2016, I'd put April 2014-Present. That way it looks as if I'm still there and am looking for a better opportunity. Plus, no job gap to explain.

I'm just wondering if a new company could find out that I'm really no longer there. Like I said in my original post, I never had a new job contact the one I was leaving.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:47 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,120,872 times
Many employers are now switching to background checking/verification companies. These companies do verification of employment and such for a whole host of reasons from school aid to apartment renting; from credit card companies to prospective new employers. The concern and reason so many could get away with it in the past was technology had not caught up and concern over adverse action by current employer if they found out a person was looking. Today, we can get so much information on a person often without having to contact anyone.

The service we use ties into dozens of job boards where they can match resumes written by a person over the years. we can see how dates and jobs start getting fudged. They also perform background checks for thousands of entities (including many local governments) so they already have applications or resumes for an individual. A few years ago they were able to subscribe to a payroll processing and auditing firm that has millions of payroll records from defunct companies. Since the courts ruled they can use the information to verify employment, many of those who once listed companies that went belly up are being caught.

Technology has helped us also spot fake references. These companies now maintain logs of people and numbers used by others and can red flag references with questionable pedigree.

The most important thing to know is if there is suspicion over a lie, many employers wont even address it with you anymore, they just dump and move on to the next. But that suspicion and red flags remains with the background companies who surprisingly, do sell their information to their competitors. They are in the business of selling info, so the more they sell the more they make. Of course, this is for the legitimate licensed background companies, you don't want to know what we can dig up on a person when we go to the data brokers.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:17 PM

8,349 posts, read 3,555,715 times
If you've been unemployed for a long time, you don't really have anything left to lose. I've been unemployed for nearly eight years now with zero job offers. Unfortunately, I don't have any relatives/friends willing to lie for me to help with a deception.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,116,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Can a prospective employer find out that you aren't really working at your current job? I am just wondering what a background check would truly turn up. In the past, I've never had a new job contact my previous job to verify employment. So, if I were to say that I'm currently at a company that let me go last year, how would a new job find out?

And yes, yes, yes, I know many of you are going to say, "Don't lie." But, I've known people in the past who put fake jobs on their resume to cover up a gap and the new company was none the wiser. Because when you've been unemployed for over 6 months, you are pretty much screwed unless you come up with some b.s. anyway.
Even if it isn't the new company that checks, it doesn't mean that someone else might check and turn you in.

Did you see this story?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3fa48176d191

Let's say the above is not true. I've heard similar accounts where in colleges the other profs didn't like the new department head, checked him out, found his credentials to be questionable and that was that.

It is easy enough to offend anyone anywhere and if you do, better believe they will check out your background because lying on the resume is probably the easiest way to get fired without contest.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,557,783 times
My industry uses a verification service. Any inconsistencies in dates would result in not getting hired.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:50 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,874,125 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering if a new company could find out that I'm really no longer there.
Of course they could find out. And if they find out you lied, you can just about bet you'll not be hired.
It's up to you whether or not to take that chance.

The last several companies I've worked for have used services to research and vet candidates; they tend to be pretty thorough.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 PM

Yes, but I've been through a verification service before as well and did NOT put my current job on the form for them to check. I told the H/R recruiter that I did not want my current company being contacted and they never were.

So, I guess the unemployed are pretty much just screwed.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,371,266 times
Quote:
I'm talking about stating that I'm currently working at a job that let me go last year. So, instead of putting it on my resume as April 2014-April 2016, I'd put April 2014-Present. That way it looks as if I'm still there and am looking for a better opportunity. Plus, no job gap to explain.

I'm just wondering if a new company could find out that I'm really no longer there. Like I said in my original post, I never had a new job contact the one I was leaving.
Of course they can, and it would be very easy to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search