Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:27 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,334,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Yes, but I've been through a verification service before as well and did NOT put my current job on the form for them to check. I told the H/R recruiter that I did not want my current company being contacted and they never were.

So, I guess the unemployed are pretty much just screwed.
That may work with some places, but I guarantee you that it will not work with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 07:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,920,787 times
Work around is that little check box, can they call your previous employer.. say no.. move on.. As for verfication, never really had any check my work referances other than the basic background checks.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 PM

449 posts, read 496,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
If you've been unemployed for a long time, you don't really have anything left to lose. I've been unemployed for nearly eight years now with zero job offers. Unfortunately, I don't have any relatives/friends willing to lie for me to help with a deception.

Holy crap, that's a terribly long time. What have you been doing for the past 8 years? Learned new skills? Volunteering? School?

Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 PM

449 posts, read 496,607 times
Quote:
Can a prospective employer find out that you aren't really working at your current job? I am just wondering what a background check would truly turn up. In the past, I've never had a new job contact my previous job to verify employment. So, if I were to say that I'm currently at a company that let me go last year, how would a new job find out?

And yes, yes, yes, I know many of you are going to say, "Don't lie." But, I've known people in the past who put fake jobs on their resume to cover up a gap and the new company was none the wiser. Because when you've been unemployed for over 6 months, you are pretty much screwed unless you come up with some b.s. anyway.
Chances are they will ask for at least 3 work references. Some companies use HireRight to verify for things like employment history, credit check, criminal record, education, etc.

So to answer your question, can a prospective employer find out that you aren't really working at your "current job" Well yes they can.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:55 PM

8,296 posts, read 3,528,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Holy crap, that's a terribly long time. What have you been doing for the past 8 years? Learned new skills? Volunteering? School?
I obtained a master's degree in criminal justice. My health got even worse and I was on disability for a while. Appealing all of that. Can't physically work in the criminal justice field. Rehabilitation expert ruled out every job as a possibility. But I don't tell prospective employer's I'm disabled. I have only been called into a few interviews since 2010 and zero job offers.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:46 PM

334 posts, read 221,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Even if it isn't the new company that checks, it doesn't mean that someone else might check and turn you in.

Did you see this story?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3fa48176d191
Good point. No, I did not see that story. Wow, I've never even thought about checking up on a co-worker even though many of them have annoyed me to the point of craziness over the years. I did check up on a new boss one time, but her credentials were fine.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Chances are they will ask for at least 3 work references. Some companies use HireRight to verify for things like employment history, credit check, criminal record, education, etc.

So to answer your question, can a prospective employer find out that you aren't really working at your "current job" Well yes they can.
My last company used HireRight as well. But, I did not put down my current job on the form and it wasn't called by HireRight. I told the H/R person that I did not want my current job to know I was looking which they completely understood.

I've known people who have made up fake jobs and used a friend to vouch for them. Especially good is a friend who has their own business and can say you were working for them.

What else are the unemployed supposed to do? If you work at a retail job and put that down on your resume, but are searching for a white collar professional job, H/R looks down upon you. I can speak to this because even when I've listed temp work as my current job, they completely gloss over it and don't even care to talk about it. They just want to talk about my last perm job. It's very odd.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:00 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Quote:
.......What else are the unemployed supposed to do? If you work at a retail job and put that down on your resume, but are searching for a white collar professional job, H/R looks down upon you. I can speak to this because even when I've listed temp work as my current job, they completely gloss over it and don't even care to talk about it. They just want to talk about my last perm job. It's very odd.
Well, there is the stand point that a resume should only be a page or so long. So one might want to economize it if it is too long. From that angle, listing only your best accomplishments is not lying.

Lying is saying you have done something when you have not.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, there is the stand point that a resume should only be a page or so long. So one might want to economize it if it is too long. From that angle, listing only your best accomplishments is not lying.

Lying is saying you have done something when you have not.
I never lie about what I am able to do. In fact, even during phone interviews, if they ask about something that I've never done before, I am honest and tell them. HOWEVER, I say, "But, I am definitely open to learning and would love to learn XYZ."

My profession is definitely not rocket science, but they act as if it is. I can be an Executive Assistant to any executive and do it with my eyes closed. But, it's hard to tell this to hiring managers without sounding like a pompous ass.

I mean really, why are they asking an EA about a time that they strongly disagreed with their boss and how they handled it? As an EA, you are there to serve the executive. They don't give a damn if you strongly disagree with them. And if you do, you keep it to yourself.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Quote:
I never lie about what I am able to do. In fact, even during phone interviews, if they ask about something that I've never done before, I am honest and tell them. HOWEVER, I say, "But, I am definitely open to learning and would love to learn XYZ."

My profession is definitely not rocket science, but they act as if it is. I can be an Executive Assistant to any executive and do it with my eyes closed. But, it's hard to tell this to hiring managers without sounding like a pompous ass.

I mean really, why are they asking an EA about a time that they strongly disagreed with their boss and how they handled it? As an EA, you are there to serve the executive. They don't give a damn if you strongly disagree with them. And if you do, you keep it to yourself.
They have their reasons and things vary.

For example, in the early part of this century, I was interviewing for investigator positions and a question was to related an example of my intuitive ability so I talked about a problem that came up during a missile exercise discussion. A US task force was looking for a Soviet task force and visa versa. During the discussion, I piped up and asked, "Do we put our missile defenses on automatic?". The easy answer is "By God, YES! If we have a missile coming in, we want everything we've got responding to stop it." I threw to the table, however, "What if he has worked out where we could be to 2 or 3 possibles and he can afford to waste a missile down an axis. When we start defending ourselves, will we make enough noise for him to detect us?". (from there, I was directed to answer the noise question and the rest of it is not for open discussion)

After that interview, I was thinking that I need other examples since that one was, then, almost 20 years old. I reflected that to one of my CJ profs and he told me not to sweat it. They want to see my analytical ability and it is the method, not the subject, that is important. Further, my example showed what a memory I had.

That agency did offer me a job, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search