Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:03 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,188,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Every single day that passes companies are getting more and more picky. And MUST have the perfect candidate who meets every single little qualification they have listed. I applied to a company recently and met 99% of the qualifications and had an awesome interview and they even said they all loved me and would love to work with me, BUT, I wasn't trained in their internal/proprietary software so they are going with an internal candidate. Why the heck did you even interview met then? How was I supposed to gain access and training to your proprietary software having never worked for your company?
I always laugh at this. The last proprietary company software I had to learn to use took me all of 2 weeks to learn 95% of it. If you work in the industry and have experience with similar software it is never that hard since they are all very similar and accomplish the same basic tasks. Just blows my mind that a company would let a highly qualified person go because of this, but they do it all the time.

That particular skillset really isn't that important, yet you see it on the job ad listed as something you MUST have etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:19 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,088,410 times
Two years ago the jobs were temporary and phony, based on stimulus spending in some cases
which has ended. Ie the job you had was never going to last.
Why did you quit a good job anyhow or were you fired?

Old 05-18-2017, 06:33 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,488,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Not really, gains in productivity is pretty weak.
They do not care.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,957,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I think it's better to get job leads from family, friends, temp agencies and your local state career center because most employers prefer referrals from people they know instead of reading a resume from someone applying from the outside.

This is 100% true.. Getting a job is who you know, being great at the job is who you are.

I have a nice indeed profile and a paid for resume that I think is pretty awesome. I have many years of operations experience with half of my experience in supervisor and management levels. Sometimes in bed I'll look through jobs and send my resume out. I've probably applied to 200+ jobs randomly over the past 8 months, never bothered with followups, just more to see if anything sticks.. Not a single call back.

I have a buddy who is currently out of work in a very specific trade field. He has almost 15 years experience and has been applying none stop with plenty of followups for almost 2 months a has only had 1 interview which he was not interested in the toxic workplace.

Not sure whats going on out there exactly but it is in no way "easy" to land a new job even if unemployment is low.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,755,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
This is 100% true.. Getting a job is who you know, being great at the job is who you are.

I have a nice indeed profile and a paid for resume that I think is pretty awesome. I have many years of operations experience with half of my experience in supervisor and management levels. Sometimes in bed I'll look through jobs and send my resume out. I've probably applied to 200+ jobs randomly over the past 8 months, never bothered with followups, just more to see if anything sticks.. Not a single call back.

I have a buddy who is currently out of work in a very specific trade field. He has almost 15 years experience and has been applying none stop with plenty of followups for almost 2 months a has only had 1 interview which he was not interested in the toxic workplace.

Not sure whats going on out there exactly but it is in no way "easy" to land a new job even if unemployment is low.
Not all jobs online are real and usually posted to test the job market. The big challenge of finding a job is someone has to resign, get promoted or be fired for an opening to exist. Just like we have a opening now at my job because someone resigned two weeks ago. But if he didn't leave there would not be anything to apply to right now. So not hearing anything back isn't a big deal because the posting may only be there to see what's out there. Also remember that companies post internally so sometimes they have to make it look like they are giving outsiders a chance at the same openings.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,984 times
Quote:
Not all jobs online are real and usually posted to test the job market. The big challenge of finding a job is someone has to resign, get promoted or be fired for an opening to exist. Just like we have a opening now at my job because someone resigned two weeks ago. But if he didn't leave there would not be anything to apply to right now. So not hearing anything back isn't a big deal because the posting may only be there to see what's out there. Also remember that companies post internally so sometimes they have to make it look like they are giving outsiders a chance at the same openings.
One thing about this too is that people rarely leave jobs they like. Other than the pay and fringe benefits of my job, I don't like it and the people prior to me turned over every year. I've been there for 5 YEARS but it has taken a toll on my soul. I've noticed every crappy job I worked had a sub 2 star rating on glassdoor (found out after the fact) and I was replacing someone else.

Now I'm a bit more picky myself as I know what to look for and who to avoid. I can't imagine spending another 5 years being miserable.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
One thing about this too is that people rarely leave jobs they like. Other than the pay and fringe benefits of my job, I don't like it and the people prior to me turned over every year. I've been there for 5 YEARS but it has taken a toll on my soul. I've noticed every crappy job I worked had a sub 2 star rating on glassdoor (found out after the fact) and I was replacing someone else.

Now I'm a bit more picky myself as I know what to look for and who to avoid. I can't imagine spending another 5 years being miserable.

Just like I know to avoid jobs that deal with public speaking and traveling because that would make me miserable. I prefer to be in a office environment and the position is in house all day. I never accepted any job just to get a cash flow because I am not interested in the underemployed world.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:35 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,984 times
Quote:
Just like I know to avoid jobs that deal with public speaking and traveling because that would make me miserable. I prefer to be in a office environment and the position is in house all day. I never accepted any job just to get a cash flow because I am not interested in the underemployed world.
I actually used to like to travel, did it all the time for work long ago. Then I started to hate it. Now I'm considering some travel again (been on four personal trips in the last year) but with the increasing heavy handedness of airlines and big brother I'm hesitant to travel for work extensively again despite liking an occasional trip. Just the last four trips and their associated delays, crowding, last minute gate changes and rude flight attendants makes me want to not travel again for a while.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Just this morning I found out that one of our openings since February has not been announced yet because of the backlog in HR. We asked about bringing in consultant recruiters to help and were told that they couldn't find any available because they are all so busy trying to fill open positions for other companies. We currently have 15 openings on our website, but more than double that in the queue, ranging from admin at $24-30/hour to a supervising engineer at $130-160k.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just this morning I found out that one of our openings since February has not been announced yet because of the backlog in HR. We asked about bringing in consultant recruiters to help and were told that they couldn't find any available because they are all so busy trying to fill open positions for other companies. We currently have 15 openings on our website, but more than double that in the queue, ranging from admin at $24-30/hour to a supervising engineer at $130-160k.
Will most of those positions be filled internally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search