Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 956,298 times

Advertisements

Basically i got hired by a job and as long as I passed the background check and drug screen I could start working. It's been a month now and I'm pretty much assuming I'm not gonna get the job because it shouldn't take this long but why? I have no criminal past and I just don't understand. I know i never actually had the job but the asst. manager made it seem like i did and told me as long as you pass we can get you started. So i was already in the door now I've called her twice and each time she gets a little more annoyed and acts different. But what was interesting was she said it was UNDER INVESTIGATION (idk wat that means) and the first time i called she said she'd call me back when the background check was done and now she says she'll call back IF anything changes?? But it's still pending.

I just want clarity and please I already know that i probably don't have the job and I should move on but whats with the hold up? Could it just be a mix up they are trying to fix?? I would love to think that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,998 times
Sounds like there may have been something that came up in the check that was either a red flag or inconsistent with what you told them in the process. So, the background check company is taking a closer look to see if it is nothing or if in fact there is an issue that would stop you being hired.

Also, there are inconsistencies in your post that could matter...you say you were hired as long as the background check was passed and you say you never had the job. If you were hired pending background and have not heard, I think it may be what I said. If you were not actually hired merely asked for the background info authorization, it is possible they have gone with someone else.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:46 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,324 times
That's an awfully long time for a background check. Usually the background check company contacts you ASAP if there are any inconsistencies or if they have trouble contacting previous employers/references (I know this from experience). Also if there was anything in the background check that prevented you from being hired, by law they are supposed to tell you that the background check failure is the reason why you weren't hired. I am going to guess that you there was nothing particularly wrong with your background check but that the company decided to go with someone else.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Thats what I don't understand about this situation. I think my background check isn't completed because only after it is can they actually deny me so whenever I call she has to be around the bush i guess. The thing I don't understand is why would it be pending?? isn't it just done or not?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM

oh and to thebunny I already had the job I was just saying that to fend off any mean posts I've been getting when I ask questions else where. It was like one of those temporary positions where you have the job but you have to pass to actually start working.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,252 times
Can I ask what industry this is for? The one that I work in is extremely thorough and my background check took nearly 6 weeks. The recruitment agency got quite excitable about the whole thing.

Have you asked them what the hold-up is?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
That's an awfully long time for a background check. Usually the background check company contacts you ASAP if there are any inconsistencies or if they have trouble contacting previous employers/references (I know this from experience).

This is true. But the time line of it can matter. Have they had the check for a month or a week? Just because OP gave them the info to authorize the check a month ago doesn't mean they started the process then. It can also depend on the speed of the check the company uses. Some companies pay a company to send people in person to courthouses to do criminal stuff, others pay them to send emails and make phone calls.

Also if there was anything in the background check that prevented you from being hired, by law they are supposed to tell you that the background check failure is the reason why you weren't hired.

Also true. Although this is the area we have the biggest issue with when dealing with clients (I am a recruiter and in house with a recruiter not the companies I recruit for, if that makes sense) and when we background screen it is REALLY common that the company wants us to tell candidates they are not moving forward for a reason that is NOT hte check, even though the real reason is the check. We have to explain why this is not ok and we won't do it. Companies without someone telling them they can't so this? Who knows what they do....

I am going to guess that you there was nothing particularly wrong with your background check but that the company decided to go with someone else.
Or it is taking a long time because they are disorganized. Is there another point of contact you can talk to other than the one who is not giving you answers?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginAlyssa56 View Post
oh and to thebunny I already had the job I was just saying that to fend off any mean posts I've been getting when I ask questions else where. It was like one of those temporary positions where you have the job but you have to pass to actually start working.
Ok. If you were given an official job offer with the contingency that it could be withdrawn if you don't pass the background and drug tests, you DO have recourse. If they chose not to hire you because of the background, they do have to let you know. However, this information often comes directly from the background check company and NOT the employer. You may have an issue with the check that the employer knows about but can not discuss with you.

When you filled out the authorization for the background, did you take any of the info with you as to who is conducting the check? If so, you may want to call them and ask what the issue is...

Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM

It's for Chevron Gas Station My position is just for a cashier. i've heard they do extensive background checks but the asst. manager said it usually takes 1 week for them to go through.
I keep thinking if it was really bad they'd say i failed or something. I don't even think the background check is done.

I don't actually ask what's going on since i dont' want to push the asst. manager away anymore than she's gotten. I try to be nice and just say "I'm checking to see if the background check is pending" because thats what happened the first time i called her when it was only 3 weeks or so. She said it was pending but today when I called she said it was Under Investigation and instead of saying she'd call me when it was done she said she'd call IF anything changes. So i'm really confused!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Under investigation, when I say it, means there was an issue. However, I am NOT able to say what she meant, as she may mean it is still ongoing, or an issue, or just answering to avoid your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search