Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 01:06 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times

Advertisements

Question 1:
When applying for a position, how much does an internal referal help?

I have 2 leads through friends, but not sure I should get my hopes up. They are directors/managers and put in a word with HR.

Question 2:
2 other leads. Hiring managers said they want me but not sure they could offer as much as I am asking.

Since they have said they want me. Should I stick to my compensation request or be ready to take a pay cut?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 04:46 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Well if they are directors and managers then you have a real good shot of getting the job. I wish I had some directors to refer me.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:56 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
For question 1:

Assuming its just a "run of the mill" internal referral (i.e... no one in management), I'd say you can usually guarantee that the resume will be seen by human eye's as opposed to being lost somewhere in Taleo. I would have to imagine that if the referral is management level, then at least an interview is guaranteed.

All in all while a referral never guarantees a job, I'd rather have a referral than no referral at all.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:17 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
1) It might tip the scale and get you an interview, but you are on your own from there.

2) It sounds like the pay you want is significantly outside of their hiring range, so expect them to offer the position to the next person, who will probably work for what is being offered.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Question 1:
When applying for a position, how much does an internal referal help?
Depends on the company and how valued the employee giving you the referral is. In general, I would say it gets your resume seen. if the referral source is well-thought of and valued, I'd say it's really helpful in most companies. I know people we know or who our employees know get a lot further in the process than newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Question 2:
2 other leads. Hiring managers said they want me but not sure they could offer as much as I am asking.

Since they have said they want me. Should I stick to my compensation request or be ready to take a pay cut?
"Not sure" sounds like possible room for negotiation to me. It's not a hard "no." That being said, I'm guessing you should figure that you'll end up somewhere between what they would normally offer and what you want. So a pay cut is likely. But it also depends on what other candidates are piling up behind you and how much they want and how good they look. it's always a bit of a wild card game because you don't know what's up their sleeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search