Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 06:23 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times

Advertisements

I've recently have this happen to me twice at the same time. HR tells me how much they like me and how they want to schedule an interview, but every week or time I talk to them they tell me how sorry they are and give me an excuse about why this week is bad. The one company finally fessed up and told me their projects got delayed, so now they aren't hiring right now. The other is still stringing me along 3-4 weeks later. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 06:32 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Stuff happens. I'm not an HR person, but I am hiring manager. I'm going through exactly what you're describing right now. Funding for the position keeps getting delayed,another candidate applies who looks better on paper than prior candidates, coordinating the interview panel, etc, all take time and is non-deterministic. I feel really bad for some of the candidates, but I can't do anything about it. One of the candidates gave us an ultimatum, basically saying we had 48 hours to give her an answer or she would withdraw her application. Guess who was immediately sent a "thanks, but no thanks" letter?

Old 09-30-2017, 07:09 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
different field, but for me, i usually schedule the interview when they call me to let me know they got the resume

field is so short that everyone tries to get us hired in case we go somewhere else

Old 09-30-2017, 08:20 AM

416 posts, read 409,108 times
Honestly the delays and lack of communication are usually driven by the rest of us at the department level. HR is just the tail of the dog. We want to think about it, verify budget, look at internal candidates, change mind about job description/salary, etc, etc.

Getting a job posted is often just the fishing expedition part of the process. Bringing people in an offer is where it gets real.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:23 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I imagine that they were probably hoping the project would not get delayed for as long as it did, until they had no choice but to cancel the interview process. If the project is delayed and they can't hire, it is a "bad week" for them.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:33 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Are you actually interviewing with HR? Usually it's the hiring manager that interviews and HR is simply the facilitator.

I can say as HR that I'm almost as frustrated as the job candidate when it comes to pinning times and waiting for a decision.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I imagine that they were probably hoping the project would not get delayed for as long as it did, until they had no choice but to cancel the interview process. If the project is delayed and they can't hire, it is a "bad week" for them.
This is what just happened for two jobs in a row! The thing is they lied about the reasons the whole time just making up new excuses every week!

Old 10-05-2017, 02:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I'm in the process of scheduling interviews now for a position. HR schedules, but they have to find 1-2 days and times that I am available as the hiring manager, they are available to sit in and moderate, and the two people I have invited to interview with me are available. We all have 8 hour a day jobs with many different responsibilities, meetings and deadlines. projects do get delayed, depending on things like budget, government regulation, and legal issues, but hopefully that is rare with good planning.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I completely agree watching what my husband has been going through for the last year. Interviews are constantly rescheduled or he is even ghosted. I understand people get busy, jobs get pushed, whatever, it's common courtesy to send a short email. Candidates are expected to be on time, give it their all or they won't be considered. What has happened to my husband in the last year is absolutely appalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search