Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:51 AM

48 posts, read 38,007 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I'm wondering if there's any point to send a thank you letter after an interview. There have been times that I've sent one and other times where I haven't.

For example, I had an interview for a competitive position that included a full scholarship a few years ago. I didn't send a thank you letter. I got the the position and the scholarship. Also, I was recently hired at a part-time professional job. Didn't send a thank you letter. Got the job. I was interviewed at a prestigious academic institution for an internship last month. I sent carefully crafted thank you letters to every one of the 8 interviewers that I had. This took me a long time. Not only did I not get the position, but they did not even send me a rejection letter (which violates their own protocols).

I have another interview for an internship with another prestigious academic institution next week. In all honesty, writing custom thank you letters is a PIA and I really don't want to do it if it doesn't help me get the job. This is especially true since most employers are a-holes these days.

What are your thoughts on thank you letters? Yay or nay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 07:15 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Been discussed before, up to you.

I usually don't send them and it never hurt my chances. Only time I wrote one was at insistence of my recruiter.

As someone that has interviewed applicants for decades, someone sending a thank you note or email has NEVER made any difference in my decisions. Their interview is what sells me or not.

As an example, we interviewed for two temp positions past two days. Similar age, exact same school/degree, similar job history. One was horrible, trying to get him to talk was like pulling teeth. He sent a thank you email that evening. Other candidate was great, very eager and personable, sincere, willing to learn. He didn't send a thank you email.

Guess who we are going to offer a job.

I suppose it never hurts to do so, but don't count on it making a difference.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/job-s...ew-letter.html

Old 03-25-2016, 07:37 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Check the search function; this has been discussed many times. To be brutally honest, they mean nothing to us, and the decision has been made before they are received.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:57 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,983,546 times
I still think it's a classy thing to do.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:03 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe87 View Post

What are your thoughts on thank you letters? Yay or nay?

I always send them, and I've always gotten the job.

As an employer, I look twice at an applicant that sends a Thank You letter, as long as that applicant was already in the Maybe file.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:14 AM

429 posts, read 390,584 times
if they decided not to hire you there's no thank you letter prose that's going to get you hired. Within the first 5-10 minutes of meeting you and speaking, they already know at the interview if you're a fit or not. The people who say out of all the candidates that your "letter" got you hired are bs'ing you. Liers. They like the letters because the letters are ego boosters. But they knew before they got your "letter" who they were going to hire. Thank you letters are an outdated etiquette. You thank them when you shake hands at the close of the interview - "thanks for seeing me." and walk out. That was the "thank you." Let's put it this way: if they REALLY liked you, your lack of thank you letter isn't going to discourage them from hiring you.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:28 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
if they decided not to hire you there's no thank you letter prose that's going to get you hired. Within the first 5-10 minutes of meeting you and speaking, they already know at the interview if you're a fit or not. The people who say out of all the candidates that your "letter" got you hired are bs'ing you. Liers. They like the letters because the letters are ego boosters. But they knew before they got your "letter" who they were going to hire. Thank you letters are an outdated etiquette. You thank them when you shake hands at the close of the interview - "thanks for seeing me." and walk out. That was the "thank you." Let's put it this way: if they REALLY liked you, your lack of thank you letter isn't going to discourage them from hiring you.
Agree.

Let this be the final word on anyone that asks about thank you letters on this forum in the future.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 AM

429 posts, read 390,584 times
A lot of the outdated, 20th century advice in books, on the Internet, and even doled out by "career counselors" has no place in today's world. Always wear a suit, religiously send your timely thank you letters, return your interviewer's call within the first 30 minutes, use temp agencies, have your resume in a particular format, etc., et. al. Depends on the type of company, industry, company culture, etc. IF the shoe fits...when in Rome..do as the Romans..

Old 03-25-2016, 11:51 AM

345 posts, read 252,159 times
As a manager who hires customer facing employees I appreciate a thank you note. It gives me a good idea how they will communicate with customers. Does a thank you matter to me? If I have one position open, bring in three candidates, and there is tie between two of them, I'll pick the one who sent the thank you because it tells me they are courteous and respectful. It has nothing to do with ego.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:54 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
If anyone lets a thank you note hold any weight then they shouldn't be hiring anyone. Every time I've interviewed someone I knew before the interview was over if target will be hir done not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search