Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 02:05 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,721,766 times

Advertisements

I wish all jobs would list the salary range on the posting. It can even be as broad as $30K - 75K. I've applied for several jobs, gone through interviews, and been offered the job only to find out that the pay was half of what I needed.

Would have saved everyone time if it were posted or mentioned during a second interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 02:19 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,846,775 times
Companies don't want to pay more for a position than they have to - or explain why a new hire is paid at the lower end of the range; thus are sometimes reluctant to list a salary range.

They instead prefer to see how much an applicant has recently earned for similar work ... and be able to offer an increase of 10-20-percent above that, leaving some room for future growth.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:37 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,721,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Companies don't want to pay more for a position than they have to - or explain why a new hire is paid at the lower end of the range; thus are sometimes reluctant to list a salary range.

They instead prefer to see how much an applicant has recently earned for similar work ... and be able to offer an increase of 10-20-percent above that, leaving some room for future growth.
But certainly they have a budgeted amount. If someone is expecting $100K, but the position is only budgeted for a max of $75K, why not post a salary range of $40-75K?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:34 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,655,913 times
They most likely are an inexperienced recruiter brain picking you to find out what salary range they should set the job for and/or an overseas recruiter who is going to brain pick you for the salary range you would request and then send in candidates at a lower rate.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:42 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,580,035 times
Not a surprise to me. It happens all the time. So, do your homework and continue your next job hunt.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,552,921 times
That is code for "We want to get someone for the cheapest we can. We just aren't sure how much some sucker is willing to take yet".

Old 01-31-2018, 09:16 AM

405 posts, read 573,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I wish all jobs would list the salary range on the posting. It can even be as broad as $30K - 75K. I've applied for several jobs, gone through interviews, and been offered the job only to find out that the pay was half of what I needed.

Would have saved everyone time if it were posted or mentioned during a second interview.

I agree, I filled in that salary expectations box for one job and received an offer for 25% less. Complete waste of time. Then they ended up calling me back 2 months later saying they increased the salary, by that time I had already started my new job. Morons.

Well they are flying me out for final rounds and again asked what I'm looking for. I told them what I made on the initial call (an inflated number, see above) thinking that would be their base line but obviously not. I indicated I did want to go down but they seem to want a number or range. I guess I will have to tell them directly what I want which leaves me on the losing end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search