Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 AM

334 posts, read 222,325 times

Advertisements

I accepted a new job and start on Monday. However, today, I was contacted by another company to come in for an interview. This company is half the driving distance compared to the new job AND they are paying about the same amount.

I'm not sure what to do. I really want to go on this interview, but they are going to want to see me some day next week and it will be a 2-3 hour interview. They are an excellent company too and very well known.

Kind of scared to ask my new boss for half a day off in the first week.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 11:57 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,596,952 times
Go to the interview. See how things look. That costs you nothing.

If they offer, you can negotiate for a higher salary to make it worth leaving and if they don't, nothing is lost.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Go to the interview. See how things look. That costs you nothing.

If they offer, you can negotiate for a higher salary to make it worth leaving and if they don't, nothing is lost.
Yes, but you wouldn't be worried about asking your boss for time off during the very first week there?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Yes, but you wouldn't be worried about asking your boss for time off during the very first week there?
how much time off would you need for the interview?

My spouse was in the same situation a while back, he would have needed half a day to go on the interview. I told him not to. Although it's unlikely you would be fired from a new job for taking some time off, it would be frowned upon. The job interview was also at a place that was far from home, if he accepted the job he would have to drive one hour to and from work every day. So that was another reason he decided not to go on the interview for that job.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
how much time off would you need for the interview?

My spouse was in the same situation a while back, he would have needed half a day to go on the interview. I told him not to. Although it's unlikely you would be fired from a new job for taking some time off, it would be frowned upon. The job interview was also at a place that was far from home, if he accepted the job he would have to drive one hour to and from work every day. So that was another reason he decided not to go on the interview for that job.
I would need a half day because I'd have to leave work, drive to the interview, and spend 2-3 hours for the interview. The other job would be a 20 minute commute whereas the job I have already accepted is a 38 minute commute. I know commute shouldn't be the only thing to consider either. Perks, benefits, duties, etc. all play into it.

Guess I'll just wait to see and feel out the boss when I start on Monday. I haven't even received confirmation yet about the interview at the other place, so am still waiting to see what days/times they have available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search