Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:46 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I agree with your assessment. Is this something that I am likely to find at other companies or is this an anomaly? I will confess to not understanding this red state culture quite yet and wonder if it is just time to move back to my native area of the country instead.
I lived in and worked in red states for 6 years.

It's an anomaly for them to state they are a "Christian company".

Typically the atmosphere is more conservative but there are pockets of liberalism in larger cities.

I'm liberal and did okay there.

This company is an outlier.

I would encourage you to keep looking; try the areas around larger cities as these tend to be more progressive.

I had to move back north because I couldn't deal with the weather or culture down South any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I have found that this type of information is uaually discernible from a company's website. If it's that important to them, it's typically stated somewhere for the world to see. Was there nothing on their website about this? Very surprising.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I have found that this type of information is uaually discernible from a company's website. If it's that important to them, it's typically stated somewhere for the world to see. Was there nothing on their website about this? Very surprising.
True, in fact look for that little fish symbol on their website, that's an obvious sign.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
I agree with your assessment. Is this something that I am likely to find at other companies or is this an anomaly? I will confess to not understanding this red state culture quite yet and wonder if it is just time to move back to my native area of the country instead.
anomaly.

Move on.

Lived near Nashville 17 years-encountered this 0 times.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:35 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
In my younger years, I would see some kind of sign in an interview that I chose to ignore in favor of accepting the position. It usually was the first inkling of a much larger problem. I figure if something comes out from the very beginning in an interview, it's probably much bigger than you think.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:11 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
In my younger years, I would see some kind of sign in an interview that I chose to ignore in favor of accepting the position. It usually was the first inkling of a much larger problem. I figure if something comes out from the very beginning in an interview, it's probably much bigger than you think.
I agree with this 100%. It is hard when you really need a job, but it is best to always trust your instincts.

I told the company that I signed up another client to avoid the awkwardness of telling them that I don't want to work with them. Based on comments on this forum and discussing it with local people that I trust, I decided that this company waves the religion flag for a reason and that it is likely to be much more in your face than I think is acceptable at a workplace. An attorney that I know in the area said many local companies do this stuff, it is a barely legal way to make sure that they don't hire someone from the wrong religion or LGBTQ by mistake and get sued trying to get rid of them later. He said they also use it as a sort of political litmus test, basically the weaponization of religious beliefs to up the odds of hiring only socially conservative Christians.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:35 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
I agree with this 100%. It is hard when you really need a job, but it is best to always trust your instincts.

I told the company that I signed up another client to avoid the awkwardness of telling them that I don't want to work with them. Based on comments on this forum and discussing it with local people that I trust, I decided that this company waves the religion flag for a reason and that it is likely to be much more in your face than I think is acceptable at a workplace. An attorney that I know in the area said many local companies do this stuff, it is a barely legal way to make sure that they don't hire someone from the wrong religion or LGBTQ by mistake and get sued trying to get rid of them later. He said they also use it as a sort of political litmus test, basically the weaponization of religious beliefs to up the odds of hiring only socially conservative Christians.
And at the end of the day, it comes down to would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?

Of course what they are doing is wrong, and you could get into a business relationship with them and then fight them over these practices, including protecting any assistants you bring on. But really, it's a whole lot less stressful to just move on yourself and decide that it wasn't a good cultural fit on either side.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:33 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:

That's exactly why I accepted my first job in IT, since I was straight out of school. The interviewer became my manager and I had put up with his grating personality for four years until the company found a good enough reason to fire him.

Ironically, I applied to a company with religious ties, although I am not religious. I will pay particular attention to see if that comes up at all. I live and let live, but in your case, that's some big time bigotry and I would make the same decision you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search