Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times

Advertisements

I wanted to find out if anyone else has tried commission only sales and what their experience was. I wonder if there are any good commission only jobs out there worth trying? I`m talking about companies that never pay a salary,even in the beginning. I know after you have built up a pipeline of clients,commission only can be a way to go. I see a lot of ads for commission only sales and it`s just not insurance,there are a lot of companies that only want to pay commission only for sales.
Here is my take. The reason...they know their product is extremely hard to sell and they would lose money by paying a salary and any benefits. So they just do cattle calls,bring in a bunch of desperate people and send them out there to peddle their products knowing full well you will eventually quit because you can`t make enought selling it. You might make a sale here and there but not enough to live off of. So you end up quitting but the sale stays on the books. Then the following month they do their next round of cattle calls and bring in the next batch of desperate people and send them out. They make a few sales ,quit, but again the sale stays on the books for the company and the process starts all over again. These companies make their money of the quantity of sales,but each individual sales person can`t make enough. It really doesn`t cost the company that much to hire a sales person. They just hope with each round of new hires,they can get a few people to make a sale. At the end of the year,those sales add up for the company. It`s a scam if you ask me.
These compnaies are probably prospering right now because good people are becoming desperate and willing to try anything. I know I have. I wonder if anyone else on here has tried commission only sales and what their experience is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM

149 posts, read 344,866 times
I am staying away from those jobs.. The economy is bad so selling has to be a low percentage.

Beware of those sales jobs...some of them are SCAM'S!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:21 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
I've been offered a few, and never taken them. I know UE is bad, but seriously, it's feast or famine. I can't take the chance, there are enough companies that pay salary for sales + commission. There is nothing wrong with taking a lower salary if the commission structure is great, but these places will seriously hire anyone who they think won't make the company look too bad, because they cost next to nothing.

I know that the wait can be painful (I am applying right now) but I have gotten in the habit of asking a few minutes into each interview if its commission only, and walk away if it is. It annoys the interviewer because they just wasted 30 minutes on a dead lead that they thought was good, but I don't care.

You have to be tactful about it, at a good point say, "While we are on the topic of (sales, money, salaries), is this job commission only?" Most will answer some will say, "Lets wait a while and we can discuss it later." Don't let them take control of that, if they try and continue the discussion, cut them off (politely) and say, "It's because I know your time is valuable, and I'm currently looking for a stable paycheck, while commission only might work at a later point in my life, that point isn't now, and I don't want to pursue this too far if it isn't for me anyway."

I learned my lesson after going 4 rounds of interviews and being offered this type of job, and told "I should just try it out because I've already spent 10 hours with him."

Yes, he intentionally wasted 10 hours of my life to pressure me into a sucky job.

I know no one asked about this, but I think it's important, and I'm bored

Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 29,246 times
If the company offers a full line card of products and services, this can be easy money provided the company also provides all the support resources to complete the sale..

Ask for a line card. Ask about sales support. If it pertains, ask about expert support, like a technical engineer, to answer any questions you may not be able to answer. Ideally, these companies will train you in the latest for free and offer a hefty commission.. upwards of 30%-45% of GP

Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
No, I learned at an early age I am not a good sales person, and so many of those sales jobs are commission only and dealing with those types of people make me feel like I've been slimed when I'm trying to purchase something.

Also, in this economy people aren't buying for the most part unless they're part of the super rich.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:25 PM

141 posts, read 362,530 times
No reputable company with any respect for its employees offers 100% commission sales jobs, especially in industries where the sales cycle is long. Stay away from these sweat shops. You won't make any decent money anyway and you'll be treated like s...

Old 09-23-2011, 04:55 AM

2 posts, read 55,326 times
It's time to name and shame the financial companies on commission only so to we can protect the consumer.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:10 AM

2 posts, read 55,326 times
Never buy anything from a commission only salesperson in the financial industry i.e insurance agent, financial advisor etc It is obvious that most of these guys will be pushing products on you and be desperate to close the deal so they can pay their rent next month. Even the ethical ones will be forced too otherwise they can't eat! Commission only should be banned by all regulators in the industry because most importantly the public need to be protected. Secondly no one, I mean no one should ever should think so little of themselves that they would even consider working in commission only sales. Small base plus big commission is acceptable. If the company is not willing to take on any risk with you then don't sell there products, even if they are good products which by the way is unlikely. Any reputable organisation will always pay a basic. Next time you see a commission only job advertised a red flag should go up in your mind. In fact make sure the next sales job you go for not only pays a base but rewards good salespeople with an increase in commission whilst also increasing the basic also. Leave the commission only jobs to the real losers! All the best.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Stay FAR away, real sales jobs will pay a decent base salary + commissions. Commission only is their way of paying you less than minimum wage and getting away with it.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:07 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
So being a realtor is not a good job? I know,not in this economy but in general? I used to be in the real estate title business and I knew plenty of realtors and mortgage people making a fortune and they were commission only. I also knew a few insurance people making a killing. I Also know a few home improvement sales people that make good money and they are commission only. I guess if you are an extremely good sales person this would be the way to go. But for most people, they could never make it at commission only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search