Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 04:23 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

Hi, so my employment history is pretty straight forward.

Worked for one company during college and 3 years after. Then did a per diem job for 6 months. Worked full time with a company 2 1/2 years and then there is a 14 month hiccup of employment.

Was on unemployment for 6 months. Then worked 2 jobs (Job A for 3 months and Job B for 1 month). Now currently working for my current employer for 3 1/2 year's.

What do I put for reason for unemployment?

What should I put for reasons left my past employers?

Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
For starters, tell the truth, but you can write things like; re-evaluating career opportunities, doing volunteer work (did you do any?), anything to indicate you weren't just sitting on your butt. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2018, 04:36 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Basically to re evaluate career opportunities but nothing panned out. Turn down 2 to 3 jobs before taking the 4th job. Did an 8hr security class. That was really it during that time. Have no real reason why I left.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:29 PM

251 posts, read 204,160 times
I don't understand why people ask these questions about gaps.

If I'm employing someone I don't care about gaps. I care about three things:

- Are they sane?
- Can they do the job?
- Will they be responsible and take pride in their work?

I don't care if they were fired or got laid off or did nothing for 2 years.

If they are a Principal consultant at IBM for the past 3 years or something like that. Why do I care they were unemployed in 2011? That has nothing to do with 2018.

American employers get hung up on the stupidest ****.

Focus on the following : CAN THEY DO THE JOB????

Old 03-19-2018, 08:44 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
That job history doesn't sound all that straight forward to me.

How much info you offer depends on how far back in time a potential given employer wants you to account for.

Whether it was full- or part-time -- if you left any job to take a position elsewhere....the reason you left was:
-- "to assume a position with XVZ company" -- or "hired by XYZ company" -- or "position with XYZ company."

So you left a job...just quit, without another job? when was that?

If I have this right....
...you've been employed now for 3 1/2 years,
-- and before that the job was 1 month,
-- before that the job was 3 months,
-- before that was unemployment for 6 months,
-- before that was a job for 2 1/2 years,
-- before that was per diem job for 6 months (full or part time doesn't matter),
(I take it THAT is the job you quit -- OR did the per diem job release you??)

-- before that you worked at a job for three years (the same place you worked during college.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search