Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 01:24 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times

Advertisements

I know this has been addressed before, but it's cumbersome to search though all the threads and I've gotten great advice before from you good people.

Long story short-spent 11 years in the hotel business (it was a third party company that operated in the main lobbies.) Left after their sale and reorganization. Went on to different jobs, but have been trying to get a hotel position with no success for over a year. Dozens of resumes, only 5 Interviews. All said my experience was great but I got no offers. Positions were front desk or guest services. I have management experience but not in that Industry unfortunately, would have to start lower and work up to it. I did the whole linked in networking too. Many former colleagues left the industry or moved after also. I did great with the job for years personally.

I was thinking of going to smaller hotels here in NYC person and handing a resume, maybe talking to a manager if they have a few moments free. I know 2 people who were successful at this though it was a few years ago. For those in smaller companies or in the hotel industry-would this be a total waste of time? Figured I've been applying online so might as well try it. Any suggestions? It would require an entire day and spending money to print many resumes also.

I am currently employed full time and have been for years, so I'm not in an urgent situation but really hit a wall with this. I have a potential offer with a contact even now but wanted to give the hotels one more shot. I'm over 40 now, so not sure if it's age discrimination. No trouble getting other jobs and with a lot of experience it's probably obvious I'm older.

Thanks and a good day to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 06:46 PM

58 posts, read 61,369 times
You have nothing to lose!

It was my DREAM to work in the music industry after college. I made that dream come true, albeit for a very brief moment in time, and here's how I did it: While I did not physically go to each record company office, I did mail a personalized cover letter (where I really poured my soul and wore my heart on my sleeve with my passion for music) with my resume (obviously) to each and every record label in NYC. Rather than stalk the label offices themselves, I stalked the Internet for their addresses and names of a few key people. I found it all, and lo and behold, ONE awesome record label reached out to me all because of that amazing cover letter and resume I sent them. Two weeks after college graduation, I was working full-time at a record label. The one and only dream job I've held, the one and only dream job I'll ever have, I am sure. Sadly, the record label (which was part of a larger conglomerate) shut down 6 months later. I was devastated. My dream crushed. I tried to get back in the industry, to no avail. Then I had to quickly become an adult and get a "real" (aka boring) job. Everything happens for a reason. At the very least, I'll always be a music aficionado and am proud to say I got the chance to meet a few amazing musicians from my favorite decade in music when I was a wee baby/child - the 80s!

Sounds like you have loved working in the hospitality industry (ironically, I've had a little corporate hospitality industry experience myself...fun industry!). If you love it, you need to show your passion for it just like I did with the music industry.

As far as age discrimination, I'm not sure what your educational background is, but one thing you can do is leave off your graduation year. Another thing: maybe you've already done this, but don't show every job you've had. Employers usually only verify the past 7-10 years of work history. So if there's a way for you to just omit an older job or two from your resume, I think that can also help with people not being judgmental about your age.

If you do feel you are a victim of age discrimination and have solid proof for a case, you can always contact the EEOC!

I hope my story provides some inspiration for you. Don't give up - it'll happen!

Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
When you say, "smaller" do you mean non-chain? I imagine chains have a pretty regimented corporate process that must be followed, but it is not my line of work. Entry level hotel work pays poorly. Will you be taking a pay cut to get back into the hospitality industry?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
When you say, "smaller" do you mean non-chain? I imagine chains have a pretty regimented corporate process that must be followed, but it is not my line of work. Entry level hotel work pays poorly. Will you be taking a pay cut to get back into the hospitality industry?
Yes, non chain or smaller chain with only a few other properties. It would be about the same or slightly more then I'm making now based on what learned over the years in regards to what the pay scales are.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modegirl79 View Post
You have nothing to lose!

It was my DREAM to work in the music industry after college. I made that dream come true, albeit for a very brief moment in time, and here's how I did it: While I did not physically go to each record company office, I did mail a personalized cover letter (where I really poured my soul and wore my heart on my sleeve with my passion for music) with my resume (obviously) to each and every record label in NYC. Rather than stalk the label offices themselves, I stalked the Internet for their addresses and names of a few key people. I found it all, and lo and behold, ONE awesome record label reached out to me all because of that amazing cover letter and resume I sent them. Two weeks after college graduation, I was working full-time at a record label. The one and only dream job I've held, the one and only dream job I'll ever have, I am sure. Sadly, the record label (which was part of a larger conglomerate) shut down 6 months later. I was devastated. My dream crushed. I tried to get back in the industry, to no avail. Then I had to quickly become an adult and get a "real" (aka boring) job. Everything happens for a reason. At the very least, I'll always be a music aficionado and am proud to say I got the chance to meet a few amazing musicians from my favorite decade in music when I was a wee baby/child - the 80s!

Sounds like you have loved working in the hospitality industry (ironically, I've had a little corporate hospitality industry experience myself...fun industry!). If you love it, you need to show your passion for it just like I did with the music industry.

As far as age discrimination, I'm not sure what your educational background is, but one thing you can do is leave off your graduation year. Another thing: maybe you've already done this, but don't show every job you've had. Employers usually only verify the past 7-10 years of work history. So if there's a way for you to just omit an older job or two from your resume, I think that can also help with people not being judgmental about your age.

If you do feel you are a victim of age discrimination and have solid proof for a case, you can always contact the EEOC!

I hope my story provides some inspiration for you. Don't give up - it'll happen!

Excellent story and sounds like you gained valuable experience from this. Thank you for sharing all this.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:37 PM

58 posts, read 61,369 times
Thank you D. Scott. I hope my story provides some inspiration for you. Heck, I need my own story to provide some inspiration for me right now! Upcoming relocation due to husband’s employer relocating. I miraculously had two interviews out of state! And, then poof. Just like that. Rejection for both. It’s only two jobs I’ve interviewed for but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating. I thought people where we are going are supposed to be NICE. So far, I am definitely NOT seeing that. They’re just as cutthroat, obnoxious and fake as some of the people I currently have the pleasure of working with. Ok, maybe not quite as much. But I wouldn’t say I’m getting a warm, fuzzy feeling about this.

I guess I need to turn this negative energy into positivity. I need to pave my own way ‘cause ain’t no one else gonna do it for me. Honestly, I don’t LOVE what I’ve been doing for the past 10 years. Even though I try desperately to avoid seeming “jaded,” maybe people can see right through my acting. Maybe I should look at this relo as a fresh start. I’m selling myself short by focusing on getting another dull job like the one I have. I need to try to get a job I really want. Other than the music industry, every other job has been because it’s the one job I could get. Not anymore. No more settling. I’m going to take a risk and sell myself. I’ve decided I’m going to craft a cover letter much like the one I had for the music industry. It might take me a while to perfect, but I won’t stop until it’s just right. People DO read cover letters, it’s not a waste. I need to have an energized cover letter that exudes passion and zest for what I WANT to do. Luckily, what I want to do is very much in the same realm as what I currently do. I’m not a graphic designer looking to work in computer programming. I’m outright qualified to make that shift to focus on the area of my field that DOES interest me, that I DON’T view as just a job. Hell. Enough of selfish, uncaring people in the workforce trying to make me feel bad. I’m going to take the necessary steps to overcome their b.s. so I can actually be happy at work for once!

I hope you make it back to the hospitality industry. Don’t. Give. Up!!!

Old 03-22-2018, 01:34 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Actually sounds like fun.

Brighten the smile, trim the mustache while getting a $100.00 haircut and dress sharp as a tack, Shine your shoes, check for lint...and own the path to the desk. What person would not like to see a person coming through the door lookin' that sharp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search