Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,422 times

Advertisements

Whew! Finally! I just got a new job and will be starting shortly. It was a long process for sure (the amount of time it took to get a job).

8 months of work paid off. If I counted my time before I stopped looking (when we decided to move across country) it was more like a year and a half.

It was interesting to say the least as not many believed in me and my ability to find a job in my desired field. But I stuck with it and believed in myself. Fortunately, I had my partner who also helped me financially to weather the storm.

The offer was well worth it and was very generous.

A few thoughts:

1.) I believe that ageism definitely slowed me down. If I was 10 to 15 years younger, I believe I would have secured a great job months ago.

2.) Networking did zero to help me. Applying to job ads did zero too. What helped me was writing targeted cover letters and resumes to people in my industry. The hiring manager told me that it was the fact that I took the time to stand out from the crowd that made the difference. In my cover letters, I began to use my age as a benefit rather than ignore the issue.

3.) While the offer was generous, I still tried to negotiate. As a salesperson, IMO, you are expected to negotiate and I believe that while I was not successful in getting anything else, you still have to ask. I know some will disagree but that's how I feel.

Don't give up and keep going. Believe in yourself. I am noticing that while the unemployment numbers are far from reality, things are starting to loosen up. I am noticing that my network of LinkedIn friends who have been out of work for some time are getting hired.

While networking and blind applicant submissions didn't work for me they may work for you. You have to do everything you can and keep trying. If you are in the sales profession as I am, use your prospecting and sales funnel training to your benefit. It's the exact same process.

You can do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM

615 posts, read 666,321 times
Congratulations! For item 2), I'd like to try this. What were you saying in the cover letters sent to people in your industry?

Old 08-20-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
Congratulations! For item 2), I'd like to try this. What were you saying in the cover letters sent to people in your industry?
I usually found some recent news about the company and congratulated them on it and then explained my enthusiasm for the industry.

There are some great cover letter templates that can help; some suggest 'pain letters' too.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 PM

669 posts, read 582,407 times
Cobgrats! And thank you for your tips!!

Old 08-20-2018, 07:22 PM

Cobgrats??? Oh, come on STLgaltoo

Old 08-20-2018, 08:13 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,941 times
Congratulations!!!

I love your story and am inspired by it. I do believe it’s important to tailor your cover letter to paint the picture of who you are instead of just summarizing your work history. I spoke with someone about “branding yourself” as in pitching your skills in a unique way and showing benefit to the hiring manager. It was a helpful discussion.

Your perseverance through a lack of support from others is also something I’m resonating with. I heard someone say the world is getting more and more heartless. From the way I’ve seen people change over the years, I believe it. I’m glad you had your partner as your support.

The icing on the cake is the ‘generous offer’. That makes it all worth it!! Yeeeessss!

Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Congratulations!!!

I love your story and am inspired by it. I do believe it’s important to tailor your cover letter to paint the picture of who you are instead of just summarizing your work history. I spoke with someone about “branding yourself” as in pitching your skills in a unique way and showing benefit to the hiring manager. It was a helpful discussion.

Your perseverance through a lack of support from others is also something I’m resonating with. I heard someone say the world is getting more and more heartless. From the way I’ve seen people change over the years, I believe it. I’m glad you had your partner as your support.

The icing on the cake is the ‘generous offer’. That makes it all worth it!! Yeeeessss!
Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciate it.

I've noticed that the higher one moves up the corporate ladder, the more they change and usually for the worse.

If I can do it, others can do it too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search