Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times

Advertisements

I've been at my current job for 2.5 years, taking on more responsibilities but with no promotion or pay raise in the foreseeable future. I don't mind where I'm at, but I'd jump at a good opportunity elsewhere. I'm not willing to spend hours and hours out actively looking and applying to long shot job opportunities like I was just out of college, but I'd put in application and searching work for closely relevant jobs.

What are some tips for passively job searching while currently employed? How do I get alerted to opportunities without scrounging through pages and pages of vaguely related job searches on Indeed or LinkedIn? Any tips for making yourself more visible to recruiters or companies that are looking?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 06:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Identify your top 5 list of companies you would like to work for. Then, go to their career sites and sign up for job alerts from them.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:12 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
On Linkedin, let recruiters know you're open:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-r...donna-serdula/

Watch how fast you get people wanting to poach you.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
I agree with LinkedIn. That's how I got nearly all my jobs for the past decade.

November and December are always tough months, due to hiring freeze. Don't expect much until late January or February. The hiring freeze is lifted and new budgets are in place.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:34 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Identify your top 5 list of companies you would like to work for. Then, go to their career sites and sign up for job alerts from them.
Good idea. It won't look funny if you apply for 4 different roles at the same company though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
On Linkedin, let recruiters know you're open:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-r...donna-serdula/

Watch how fast you get people wanting to poach you.
I have that turned on. I have a decent profile, is there anything else besides that to raise visibility or is it like fishing, where you just have to wait and see who bites?

Old 11-12-2018, 03:17 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Watch it. The next recession is coming and you don't want to be the new guy anywhere during a downturn.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I have that turned on. I have a decent profile, is there anything else besides that to raise visibility or is it like fishing, where you just have to wait and see who bites?
Yes. Get 500+ connections. That gives you more visibility. Connect with recruiters, hiring managers, and others who you want to work with. Even the people who are regular employees who are doing similar things you are doing, are good people to connect with.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:26 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Passive Job Hunting Tips?
This is 90% of what networking is about.
Be known to (lot's of) people who understand what you do.
If/when something pops they'll tell the decision maker and/or tell you.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:59 PM

Add keywords to each of your positions, as a separate line.

Example:

Keywords: Java development agile SDLC eclipse JIRA

Ask your previous managers to leave you a recommendation on your LI profile. That helps.

Make sure your resume is ATS optimized. Google "ATS optimize resume" and you'll find plenty of sites about that.

Get yourself an email address on mail.com - they have 200 domains. You can use consultant.com, accountant.com, techie.com etc. Choose something relevant to your field or highlights your experience. Make sure the username is professional looking. It gives a good impression at the top of your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search