Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 10:46 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times

Advertisements

I spent a little under a year as an account executive (outside sales) for a healthcare company. I was recognized on regional and national levels and posted record-breaking numbers while there. I'm seeking a similar position, only to be iced out at the last possible moment.

Here's the thing- I was being sexually harassed by my sales director. The day after I told him I no longer wanted to be in a car with him, I was fired. Let's say, hypothetically, that a settlement was reached afterward. If this included a clause preventing me from disclosing anything about why I left the company, a hefty fine could be levied.

This leaves me with two problems-
1) How do I explain why I left?
2) How do I find out who's sabotaging me? (I suspect it's someone still at old branch, who remains friends with offender, who was fired.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 11:31 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Have someone to do a background check with your old employer and see what they say about you.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:35 AM

I thought about that, but it seemed ridiculous. Less so now, given the repeated 180s.

Will report back.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:16 PM

Well! Some problems solve themselves, or so it seems. The company has been bought out. I just spent 27 minutes trying to reach someone to verify my employment, to no avail.

Now I'm down to just the one challenge- how to explain why I left without exposing myself legally.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:37 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
You left to pursue new opportunities, as there was no further room for growth in your old role.

They're not going to push further.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You left to pursue new opportunities, as there was no further room for growth in your old role.

They're not going to push further.
That's exactly what i expected, but they ask why I would leave at the top of my game after less than a year? It seems everyone is connected somehow in the field. I made a name for myself, then disappeared. There was talk, and they want to know what happened.

Because of this connectivity, it wasn't unthinkable that word could get back, had I divulged any details. Now that I see they've closed almost all their offices in the region, I'm feeling less paranoid.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
That's exactly what i expected, but they ask why I would leave at the top of my game after less than a year? It seems everyone is connected somehow in the field. I made a name for myself, then disappeared. There was talk, and they want to know what happened.
"I left because I needed to tend to a family issue. The issue is now resolved and I'm ready to dig back into work." It's the kind of response that prevents the employer from digging further for details, but leaves no doubt that you're serious about your career.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:11 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:

Because of this connectivity, it wasn't unthinkable that word could get back, had I divulged any details. Now that I see they've closed almost all their offices in the region, I'm feeling less paranoid.
" I am seeking other opportunities because my prior organization was not as financially stable as I had hoped, and the potential for growth was not there."

Yeah, it sucks being in an industry where word gets around quick. I couldn't imagine that and I am sorry that you had to deal with being sexually harassed.

I work in a pretty large industry (manufacturing) but worked in a smaller town for a while and was sexually harassed by a supervisor when I was first starting out. It's an ugly feeling and at the time I felt that I couldn't do anything about it because the guy doing it was best friends with the HR manager.

Good luck in your job search.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:41 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
If they push for more information, just tell them you signed a confidentiality agreement and can't talk specifics.

Remember, you're likely to sign some kind of agreement when you work for someone else so they understand this.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:11 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Let's say, hypothetically, that a settlement was reached afterward. If this included a clause preventing me from disclosing anything about why I left the company, a hefty fine could be levied.
Let's say, hypothetically, you appeared to be getting a bad attorney if they allowed you to a sign a settlement agreement that did not contain some agreed upon reason for your termination of employment with the company. So, hypothetically, you'll just have to live with the potential lost of opportunities because of bad legal representation with that agreement. I belive the majority of actual cases usually have some statement that the reason for separation is to be 'By Mutual Agreement' and any further information has to be referred to the attorneys. That pretty much tells the prospective employer that a confidential settlement agreement is in play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search