Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 PM

72 posts, read 31,115 times

Advertisements

I was about to have an interview with a Law Firm tomorrow. A couple of hours ago, I got a call saying they are cancelling my interview because they decided to pick someone already for the job.

I want to know, does this happen a lot?

Lucky I'm still applying for other jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 07:56 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWalton3 View Post
I was about to have an interview with a Law Firm tomorrow. A couple of hours ago, I got a call saying they are cancelling my interview because they decided to pick someone already for the job.

It happens. Internal staff may have shuffled for some reason. When firms start interviewing they never know exactly what sorts of applicants they'll end up with. They might have interviewed someone before you who happened to be exactly what they wanted. They probably had a good idea before the interview phase but the interview clinched it. In a way, would it have been worse to go through the interview and then find out you weren't selected? Or, going to the interview but getting the feeling you were not a serious contender (they had already made up their minds)?

Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Yes, just as it is common for those interviewing at multiple jobs to cancel job interviews once they've secure employment elsewhere. Time is a valuable commodity and people do not want to waste time interviewing for a job that is likely already filled.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:07 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
It happens.

I was supposed to be offered an administrative assistant position and it didn't work out because someone internal filled it.

Just keep trucking along.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
It happened to me for an internal role I was supposed to have an in-person interview for - they ended up cancelling the position. It wasn't last minute but still annoying. Oh well, keep on searching.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWalton3 View Post

At least they didn't waste your time having you come in and interview when they already filled the position.

Likely someone they were already familiar with became available and they had to act fast.

Don't take it personally. Yes, always smart to continue your job search.

Does this happen often? In smaller companies it is more likely to, while in large companies they would have brought you in and wasted your time because they don't want to break schedules. Smaller companies tend not to have the bureaucracy of larger companies.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:09 PM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
It happens and for many different reasons. Most commonly the job didn't get approved or they hired someone. Some jobs get filled quickly and some can take months. You never khow without inside info of the department hiring practices.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:21 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
It has happened to me a few times - they hired internally or they no longer have a need or budget are common reasons. No biggie.

Try not to put all your eggs in one basket and you won't be disappointed if the interview is cancelled.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:54 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Sounds like a non-job.

"We have conducted interviews and reviewed dozens of people, but none of them were qualified or wanted the job, so we must get that H1B visa application approved."

Old 05-25-2019, 10:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
It sounds normal. If the first person being interviewed is found to be a perfect fit, there is no reason for more interviews, there is no reason for further interviews. You hire them on the spot, and cancel other interviews. You set up 5 or 10, interviews, as you have no idea you will find even one acceptable applicant out of that group after they are interviewed.

If applicants quit telling lies about their experience, abilities and knowledge trying to make prospective employers think they are qualified for a particular position when they are not qualified, it would eliminate the need for so many interviews. I have been the one that was so well qualified when I applied so I was the one best qualified and hired at the end of the interview, and have hired many people, and cancelled further interviews many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search