Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times

Advertisements

Does that normally lead to a job offer? I had a interview today and I am still waiting to hear from other jobs I applied for because they all have better health benefits and a shorter commute. So I am wondering did he ask that question because he will likely offer me the job or is this something lots of interviewers say?

The only positives of this job is 0% travel and close to home. All the other positions are state positions and have better benefits along with higher pay. So since my current job is ending on 6/28 due to lost contract, I may have to take this job I don't want since I don't have to travel. I'm just afraid that I will be called for a state job interview as soon as I start the job I don't want/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 07:15 PM

607 posts, read 978,713 times
Sometimes but sometimes not. Just give them an answer and continue on until a written offer is in hand with the start date.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Sometimes but sometimes not. Just give them an answer and continue on until a written offer is in hand with the start date.
That's the plan but the state jobs are taking forever to contact me even after getting a 97 on the test

Old 05-22-2019, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Possibly but don't count on it. When we have several people that are really good and close to the same qualifications we may ask them all that question. It's just another factor to consider. With all else being equal, we might take the person that can start "next Monday" over the one that has to give 2 weeks notice to his/her current employer, then has a trip scheduled to Disney World for two weeks.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That's the plan but the state jobs are taking forever to contact me even after getting a 97 on the test
Having worked at two places that used civil service exams, I can tell you that sometimes 97 is too low to get an interview. There were times when the cutoff was 98-99 or even 100 because 400 people took the exam, and we only wanted to interview the top 25-30 people. I would suggest going for whatever job is offered to you that has the pay you need. You can always quit even after just a month or two if a better offer comes along. That would obviously make the employer unhappy, but it happens all the time.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:18 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With all else being equal, we might take the person that can start "next Monday" over the one that has to give 2 weeks notice to his/her current employer, then has a trip scheduled to Disney World for two weeks.
I would be happy to wait for the person with the Disney World trip if they originally requested a lower salary rate than the other applicants.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:52 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Possibly but don't count on it. When we have several people that are really good and close to the same qualifications we may ask them all that question. It's just another factor to consider. With all else being equal, we might take the person that can start "next Monday" over the one that has to give 2 weeks notice to his/her current employer, then has a trip scheduled to Disney World for two weeks.
I'm sorry, but you can't possibly be working in a company that is involved hiring people to work in an office. This is some draconian thing you imagine employers do from watching TV shows, movies or books who are on a power trip. No real office would pass on someone because they couldn't start within a few weeks. Unless you were hiring people to bag groceries, mow lawns, clean houses or work the retail counter in a fast-food chain. In that case, I doubt you are seriously interview 10 people for that position. I believe your experience here is a fantasy of yours. Background checks and drug testing takes on average 3 weeks to complete, so I don't believe you are involved as you claim.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I would be happy to wait for the person with the Disney World trip if they originally requested a lower salary rate than the other applicants.
Yes, of course. Employers spend several months, a couple of rounds of interviews, plus another 3 weeks for background checks and drug testing, so I can't see someone who needs to start that Monday in an office job.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:00 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Yes, of course. Employers spend several months, a couple of rounds of interviews, plus another 3 weeks for background checks and drug testing, so I can't see someone who needs to start that Monday in an office job.
If an employer needed me to start immediately, it would probably raise red flags. I once accepted a job at a place which needed me "right away." Interviewed on a Tuesday and started there the following Monday. Now I know why they did, everyone was miserable/quitting and the place was toxic. I didn't last long either!

Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Does that normally lead to a job offer? I had a interview today and I am still waiting to hear from other jobs I applied for because they all have better health benefits and a shorter commute. So I am wondering did he ask that question because he will likely offer me the job or is this something lots of interviewers say?

The only positives of this job is 0% travel and close to home. All the other positions are state positions and have better benefits along with higher pay. So since my current job is ending on 6/28 due to lost contract, I may have to take this job I don't want since I don't have to travel. I'm just afraid that I will be called for a state job interview as soon as I start the job I don't want/
Most of the time they ask that question, because they want to see if you have anything preventing you from starting. For example, if you work in a company which has stock options, you might not be able to exercise them for 3 months. So that would be something they would want to know about. That doesn't mean they would exclude you, they might offer a signing bonus to make up for what you might miss out on.

In some companies, it is routine to ask the question. If the actual hiring manager asks the question, it is more of an indication they are interested in you. But the only thing which is a real about a job offer, is where you have a letter that states the compensation, job title, and other details with a start date. Until you have that, you don't have anything. You just have their attention for the moment.

Don't be afraid to leave a job you start for another soon. Plenty of people will tell you nonsense about how you are going to upset people doing this, but they those in management understand this. They are running a business and if a better situation comes along for their business, they would take it immediately and so should you.

If you feel things are close on the job you really want, keep in contact with them. Write "Thank You" letters and follow-up with HR to get the status of the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search