Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 01:06 PM

144 posts, read 140,078 times

Advertisements

I’ve been working for the same company for 10+ years, pay is ok, not great, no opportunities as it’s small company, but the reason why I stayed all those years, is the flexibility, I pretty much do my job and go home, no one really bothers me. As my husband is very ambitious, I’ve been thinking about quitting my job for a while now, but was never comfortable doing so, as I don’t really want to quit and just work in a different company doing the same thing with even less freedom. Now the company made some changes that I already don’t like and I have the feeling it will only get worse as it will take away my freedom. I would not quit without having some prospect income. On the one hand I don’t like changes, on the other hand, I would not like to do the same thing working for a different company, but also thinking that so many jobs require a very specific degree, which makes it hard, because mine is pretty generic. I would rather work from home, or be my own boss, I just don’t really have any business ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:20 PM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
You are searching for an easy answer where there isn't one. Do what your gut feeling is telling you to do. Be careful about leaving behind steady income. You can always dabble in some small business ideas without leaving a full-time job. You can chat with people who do work in the fields that you are interested in and learn what it would take to make the transition. Just be smart about this and keep working until it is time to pull the trigger. It may be a lengthy process.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway83 View Post
I’ve been working for the same company for 10+ years, pay is ok, not great,
...I pretty much do my job and go home, no one really bothers me.
That's as good as it gets for most workers. Learn to savor it and how to leverage the stability.

Quote:
As my husband is very ambitious, I’ve been thinking about quitting my job for a while now...
Nope. Exactly wrong. If his ambitiousness is justified enough to actually pursue
then the stability and regularity of your OK pay job (and benefits? HI plan?) can hold a lot together.

Quote:
Now the company made some changes ... have the feeling it will only get worse

Changes will very rarely prove to be for the better.

Quote:
I would rather work from home, or be my own boss, I just don’t really have any business ideas?
What is it that your ambitious husband wants to do?

Old 06-19-2019, 09:36 AM

732 posts, read 969,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway83 View Post

but also thinking that so many jobs require a very specific degree, which makes it hard, because mine is pretty generic.
Geez, these days companies love people with generic degrees because they can train them exactly in what they want, the way the want them taught and specifics of what to get out of it the way the company/management sees it. They want nothing brought in, only want people to be what they are told seems like. See where you are as an advantage to move anywhere in a company perhaps. In my own two adult children, the one with specific degrees struggles, the one with a generic degree gets offers all the time.

Maybe in your case decide an area and get some sort of Masters in it while you tough it out.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:38 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's as good as it gets for most workers. Learn to savor it and how to leverage the stability.

Nope. Exactly wrong. If his ambitiousness is justified enough to actually pursue
then the stability and regularity of your OK pay job (and benefits? HI plan?) can hold a lot together.

Changes will very rarely prove to be for the better.

What is it that your ambitious husband wants to do?
Good advice.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:32 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
When you have been in a job long-term without career advancement and increase in pay and compensation and the situation remains status quo, it is time to seek opportunities elsewhere. Those opportunities have to be better than your current position.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:26 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Have you talked to your husband? He is ambitious and knows you better than we do. He can give advice on a step-up position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search