Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:51 AM

881 posts, read 615,794 times

Advertisements

The ageism is unreal. They're no longer half-even subtly asking for "people still in college or recently graduated"...just came across two ads specifying the actual graduation years of the candidate cohort they want!!!

Hmm. If only there was some violent revolution for me to join...but they'd probably want a kid, too!

Old 10-25-2019, 01:05 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Yes, ageism is alive and well. Companies want younger and younger (less expensive) all the time. Soon, if you're past 35 you will find it difficult to get a new job or keep your existing one. Perhaps we can petition the government to lower the Social Security retirement age from 65 to 40.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:29 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Meanwhile, the usual suspects are whining about the "talent shortage" while doing this ageism. Ridiculous.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:07 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Yes, ageism is alive and well. Companies want younger and younger (less expensive) all the time. Soon, if you're past 35 you will find it difficult to get a new job or keep your existing one. Perhaps we can petition the government to lower the Social Security retirement age from 65 to 40.
Yes, ageism is alive and well. But it's not about money. If it were about money, it would be understandable. Younger in general doesn't really cost less. Each type of job pays a certain range. It doesn't keep getting bigger just because someone is older. X job pay Y amount. If an older person is making more than Y, they aren't doing X, they are doing Z.

Ageism is about age. Mostly about being older, and more knowledgeable, than the managers. That's the real issue. Management school grads getting promoted to senior positions they aren't ready for. Older workers see through their BS whereas younger workers don't have the experience yet to see through it.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:59 AM

341 posts, read 293,139 times
Mark Zuckerberg a few years ago said younger people were smarter, which is why the average age of Facebook employees was under 30. If it was legal I am sure they would have set up a program that the minute their employees turn 30 they would wheel them out of the building and directly into a nursing home, which is where they belong.

Now that Mark Zuckerberg is well past his expiration date and a literal dinosaur at 35, will he finally step down? I am guessing not

Old 10-26-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
Mark Zuckerberg a few years ago said younger people were smarter, which is why the average age of Facebook employees was under 30. If it was legal I am sure they would have set up a program that the minute their employees turn 30 they would wheel them out of the building and directly into a nursing home, which is where they belong.

Now that Mark Zuckerberg is well past his expiration date and a literal dinosaur at 35, will he finally step down? I am guessing not
Logan's Run anyone? It would solve this ageism problem. But of course we would keep Zuckerberg

Old 10-26-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, ageism is alive and well. But it's not about money. If it were about money, it would be understandable. Younger in general doesn't really cost less. Each type of job pays a certain range. It doesn't keep getting bigger just because someone is older. X job pay Y amount. If an older person is making more than Y, they aren't doing X, they are doing Z.

Ageism is about age. Mostly about being older, and more knowledgeable, than the managers. That's the real issue. Management school grads getting promoted to senior positions they aren't ready for. Older workers see through their BS whereas younger workers don't have the experience yet to see through it.
I think it is about the money. As an employee sits at their grade level in a company, he or she gets raises (if they do good work) every year and starts heading toward the upper part of the pay scale in that position. After a few years they rise toward the top of that scale. Now it becomes cheaper for the company to get rid of that higher cost employee and bring in someone new who will be earning less within that pay scale.

So while the pay scales exist, and some are quite broad, it is cheaper to throw out that higher paid employee and bring in someone new earning less within that pay grade. In most instances, the new person coming in will be younger.

I think that this highlights the "up or out" mentality where management tries to hide this. In this mentality, it places the blame of the firing on the employee, who is labeled as inflexible and stupid. But if they were stupid, why were they kept on for so long and not gotten rid of earlier? It makes business sense to keep those good and experienced workers and not get rid of them even if they can't or don't want to move up. Yes, the "up or out" is there to camouflage the real reason for getting rid of the employee.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Meanwhile, the usual suspects are whining about the "talent shortage" while doing this ageism. Ridiculous.
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on but apparently there's an incredible shortage of long-haul truck drivers and Air Force pilots despite the increasing adoption of self-driving trucks and drone warfare....

But anyway, I'm glad to know beforehand instead of wasting my time, to look on the bright side.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Age is highly correlated with labor costs, all else being equal; not just the actual salary but also any health benefits, sick days, etc.

Quote:
Well yeah, there's also this; having been around the block, older folks like myself don't believe the management Mod cut. anymore. I literally just flunked an interview recently because I was getting questions like "tell me about yourself," "what's a moment you were most proud of," "how would you add value to my company"...I was like Mod Cut., this is a Mod cut. low-income/no-benefits clerical position you advertised and called me in to interview for...Mod cut.!!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-04-2019 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post

LOL but it's true that youth is highly correlated with insight and innovation in maths and sciences...for humanities type stuff (literature, politics, etc.) it goes the other way.

So I guess Zuck can argue that as CEO, he's more a politician (which is generally true)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search