Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 06:27 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,627,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This. OP, FWIW, I made a massive "pivot" that changed everything about my working and personal life. It happened a little earlier than for you, but it was a profound change that was terrifying. The only thing I had going for me during that pivot was conviction, determination and willingness to do what it took. Everything else had to take a back seat or it wouldn't have been successful. Was I unsure? Afraid of failure and consequences? You BET!

All my life, leading up to graduate school was oriented toward a life in the arts, specifically graphic arts. I had mentors who enabled me to exhibit in galleries even before college started. I had skills, income, had connections and it was relatively easy to make progress. All signs that this was what I was supposed to do. OK a bit of tweaking to keep the art career practical; commercial art instead of counting on being an independent creative force.

The unease, second-guessing, self-doubt crept in during graduate study. Something wasn't right. There was a widening gap between what was still meaningful and what was sort of "ordained" by everything that had gone on before. What seems to be handed to us, what is easy isn't always rewarding. More and more the practical realities of that sort of career felt dismal, superficial, and a dead end.

A series of seemingly random events hit me on the head suggesting a new direction and it was extreme. A career in a biology-based technical field. Almost a polar opposite to the arts. The more I learned about it the more it made sense. A wonderful new world opened up and it felt fantastic. Of course, the arts fought back. What about the income potential I already had? What about the connections, the experience, the momentum that were already in place? Just toss those away? All that wasted time.

Not only did I have to start from scratch in terms of academics, but also in terms of personal life. Most people heading into this biological profession grew up gaining all sorts of practical field skills, immersed in a different culture. By the time they got their degrees they were field savvy and accomplished. They often had multiple generations of family in the same field. Not me. No one in my family and none of my friends knew anything about it. There was no support except innocent and well-meaning encouragement. When I finally told people what I was going to do I got blank looks, little comments like "But honey, you don't like science!". My new graduate advisor quietly stared at my transcripts and asked "Are you really sure you want to do this?" A couple of relatives thought it a great joke.

I had to learn skills that were boring, difficult, tedious. Scrape along in menial jobs in order to eat. The new profession would take years to break in to. Low income was guaranteed. I'd have to face chasing temporary jobs all across the country before I'd get much of a chance. All I had was conviction. But that's what it took. I had to give up a lot in order to get a lot. Was it always perfectly rewarding and reassuring? No. Did I wish to go back to what was comforting, secure, and familiar? Of course! I had to keep taking risks, settling for less than I hoped for, but little by little there was traction. Little victories, little accomplishments.

I look back over the 35+ years of it now and don't regret it. I don't like to think about what it would have been like to give up when things got tough. Wouldn't be pretty and I would have no one but myself to blame for it. I didn't write all this out to brag about my success, just to say that I appreciate what you are facing and can sympathize. It is tough but at some point you have to quit allowing side issues to create roadblocks and make the leap...then live with the results.

Of course a job like this needs to be decided with care and thought. Nothing that is truly meaningful could demand otherwise.
Thank you for sharing this all with me. I want to write and the more I work, the more I see that I am a writer. My full-time job wanted to promote me to analyst and I had to say, "no thank you." I still tell them no thank you. That would send me into hives. I have deep anxiety with being a revenue recovery rep. My manager told me this job and company put her on anti-anxiety meds. At the beginning of thyroid disease, I was riddled with mental health issues, a lot of misdiagnoses and I won't do anti-anxiety meds again, especially since that eventually led to a bipolar II misdiagnosis. Took me two years to get off of those medicines, and eventually I said, "if a program is causing this, or a job is causing this, it's not worth it."

I'm thinking I'm going to have to stand up to some forces, I know it's not going to be pretty, it's going to be tough and I'm a bit nervous about it. HOWEVER, to move forward, I'm going to have to. I'm going to have to say, "this is where I am going, I'm going to try it, and if it doesn't work out, so be it. But, it could work out."

This quarantine has been a saviour because I've been able to pay off some debt. I also brushed up on writing skills and it has felt nice. I'm nervous about things, but I am going to be brave, and make decisions slowly and with care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 10:05 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Another useful thing you can do is keep a diary of your goals at different times in your life. City Data can actually be that.

For example, here's a thread I posted almost 9 years ago...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...er-enough.html

That's pretty much the complete opposite of what I just told you. I now make significantly more $, and I work in management and my job is very stressful. It's funny when I read that post, I feel like someone else wrote it.

So, goals and desires can change quick and new goals pop up, and you could very well regret the change in ways. That's how life is. But I digress. You asked about career changing, and the way to pursue that is with conviction.

This is also a good book. Pick it up at the library and give it a read.

https://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Equ...e%20everything.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Another useful thing you can do is keep a diary of your goals at different times in your life. City Data can actually be that.

For example, here's a thread I posted almost 9 years ago...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...er-enough.html

That's pretty much the complete opposite of what I just told you. I now make significantly more $, and I work in management and my job is very stressful. It's funny when I read that post, I feel like someone else wrote it.

So, goals and desires can change quick and new goals pop up, and you could very well regret the change in ways. That's how life is. But I digress. You asked about career changing, and the way to pursue that is with conviction.

This is also a good book. Pick it up at the library and give it a read.

https://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Equ...e%20everything.
That;s true! I look back on some of the things I posted 5 years ago on here, ended up getting a job similar to what I was seeking just to have a job and I regret it.

I don't drive, I have no desire to drive, and it's safer for all of us if I don't drive. I'm going to have to live in high cost living areas because they have the transit and jobs. One friend said, "it's ridiculous that you want to live in the most expensive cities." He can't comprehend I don't drive, I have no desire to drive, and it's safer for all of us if I don't drive, then gets annoyed when I "overshare" the reasons why. Besides working from home in a country setting, getting things delivered can be expensive and driving can be expensive too.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
That;s true! I look back on some of the things I posted 5 years ago on here, ended up getting a job similar to what I was seeking just to have a job and I regret it.

I don't drive, I have no desire to drive, and it's safer for all of us if I don't drive. I'm going to have to live in high cost living areas because they have the transit and jobs. One friend said, "it's ridiculous that you want to live in the most expensive cities." He can't comprehend I don't drive, I have no desire to drive, and it's safer for all of us if I don't drive, then gets annoyed when I "overshare" the reasons why. Besides working from home in a country setting, getting things delivered can be expensive and driving can be expensive too.
Not being able to drive is a major, major obstacle to finding a good job unless you live in one of a handful of cities that I can think of.

Granted, people who don't drive can find jobs, but when you consider how hard it is to switch careers, and that add on top ... well it's going to be a major detriment to the cause.

I would learn to drive.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Not being able to drive is a major, major obstacle to finding a good job unless you live in one of a handful of cities that I can think of.

Granted, people who don't drive can find jobs, but when you consider how hard it is to switch careers, and that add on top ... well it's going to be a major detriment to the cause.

I would learn to drive.
I did learn how to drive, but I couldn't pass the test because of anxiety and safety issues. The state deemed me too dangerous to be on the road. I was on medication for some time, but most of the anxiety and mood meds, you can't operate heavy machinery once you are on them.

I almost got into accidents, on all 9 times I took the tests. So, driving is out.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I did learn how to drive, but I couldn't pass the test because of anxiety and safety issues. The state deemed me too dangerous to be on the road. I was on medication for some time, but most of the anxiety and mood meds, you can't operate heavy machinery once you are on them.

I almost got into accidents, on all 9 times I took the tests. So, driving is out.
You may want to sort out some of your issues before you switch careers. Get it all together and then take the steps.

What do you do now?

Old 06-23-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
You may want to sort out some of your issues before you switch careers. Get it all together and then take the steps.

What do you do now?
Full time as a revenue recovery rep for an insurance company. They wanted to promote me to an analyst because they know I want to get to Canada. I told them "heck no." I'm not an analyst... numbers make my head spin and anxiety. Most people who work here don't drive either.

I work part-time in a library as a page. I love my library job and work with a lot of non-drivers. I would love to be promoted, and now that someone has died, I might have a heart to heart with the director.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:05 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:

I would learn to drive.
Completely agree with this OP. Remember the comment about "side issues" and how they can derail your goals? Here's a perfect example. There are legitimate reasons people can't accomplish some life goals they might have. There are excuses too. Be clear about the difference. If you need help figuring that out, get it.

You have quite a list of things you are unwilling to do, things you assume you can't do or don't like to do and they are already restricting how you envision this change you want to make. Eye on the prize, eye on the prize. The road forward is already getting narrowed down by the bushes encroaching from the sides and you have hardly even started walking. That's a problem. The deck is stacked against you because of the major career change. Don't stack it any more. This is fixable but you have to be determined to fix it. If you keep letting your fears and anxieties direct your life it won't get fixed. Besides, facing and overcoming problems is empowering; provides momentum that will pay off later.

OTOH, if you love your library work that much, go get the academic library science foundation you'll need to actually take it on as a profession! Once you do, use it to either convince your current library to take you seriously or take those skills elsewhere and make the geographical move you want. You will have to convince someone to take you on, so you'll need to bring as much to the table as possible. You just wrote that "driving is out". You had failures before. So what? Get instruction and try again! You are capable of change, of education, right? Here's your chance! I have a hard time agreeing that it is really that absolute.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-23-2020 at 08:12 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 07:34 PM

I really don't like being behind the wheel. Between the cost of driving, the environmental concerns, and the other disabilities I have, I live near a major city now and I don't really need to drive. I know I'm going to have to live in a city and I'm okay with that. My dad even said, "not everyone drives and that's okay. You'll just have to live in a city." We had some family members and family friends who never drove, they were gainfully employed and just stayed in major cities. They did well for themselves.

Right now I'm $17k in debt, credit card debt. So, going back to school is out right now. My parents want me to get out of that credit card debt first, then move out and be on my own. Right now that's what I really need. I want to get out of debt. This quarantine has helped with that since I can't go anywhere; I paid off one card and I'll be able to pay off another card next month. Another one in December. Pay Pal will be the last and my school loans ($7000) will be paid off before Pay Pal credit. I'm going to take my time with that credit line. That was from college, other cards were medical and trying to get healthy again. I had a health crisis a few years ago and I thought I was going to die. The liver issues they thought I had can be fatal with a life expectancy of 3 years after diagnosis. Thank goodness it wasn't that, but since I already have two autoimmune issues, they'll have to keep an eye on that.

I found a lot of jobs, didn't require a license, HS diploma or any college degree, and associate level, but for whatever reason my resume never makes it. I hired a resume writer, nothing. I had people proof it, nothing. Unless I'm not considered "associate" and I assume wrongly that if you want to change your career, you have to start at "associate." I've applied to several jobs between writing, library assistants (they don't require MLIS), administration, and office and I can't seem to get to an interview. It's frustrating and I really don't know what's wrong.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:13 AM

I'm just not happy with how my life turned out so far. I hated college and that's when my chronic health issues began; I didn't like my course of study and even though I changed majors, it didn't help at all. I hated all 5.5 years I attended.

My grandma always hoped that I would rise to the top at the library, and they know I am serious, but they don't care. I overheard my former manager and the director both say, "she is not library material. She doesn't have the personality of one." They know I want to move and that doesn't help either, but they are going with, "you're not library material." I don't think a degree will help me in that realm - if the director doesn't like me, a library degree isn't going to help. I've had extreme anger issues since 2014 when I was passed over for leading technical programs and assistance, she isn't a fan of that anger and how I come off to the public. I'm not going to bother talking to her, I created my own mess. My former manager didn't have a MLIS, she had an English degree and most positions that aren't librarian or director only require a bachelor's or HS diploma. I'm not mad that I'm still here, I'm mad because I want to grow and I can't seem to grow. This has been an issue before everything that happened to me in 2013 and the anger that started in 2014-2015. I'm not library material.

You know, I didn't take the promotion at my full-time job because I didn't think I couldn't do it or being a numbers person, I didn't take it because I was so angry that I was getting promoted at a job I hate in a field I don't want to get into, but the job I love in the field I want to get into, nothing. They don't see the value in me. So, I told them that I'm a writer, not a numbers person and English majors can't be analysts. Don't regret it, I despise my full-time job and being in health care/insurance. It'll be 5 years in November, I didn't want to stay that long because I took it because I needed a job. Yet, here I am.

When I was still in school, my teachers and professors loved my writing and the stories I created. They wanted me to go on and get my MFA. They were even more excited about my writing than I was. They used to gush and had great plans about what I could do with an eventual writing career. I could publish and teach at a college! I wasn't so excited because I had a mother screaming that is loser work and professors don't make money. Just like librarians, I have better skills than all of that combined and I should be using that to become rich. Well, I don't want to be rich. I want to be happy and at peace. I need money, so I want to make a living wage that allows me to live and still save, and would allow me to travel. I might not have liked my college experience, but I did like working at the university. I also really love working from home, by myself, without being bothered by anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search