Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 08:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It's actually not breaking the rules to accept an interview and then bring up things to dissuade them from making an offer.

As the ex employer, they would likely tell the DOL if the interview was offered, and the OP declined to pursue.
If they were not the employer whose claims record was affected, they likely would not inform the DOL.

If you can show me a jobaba relative with 3 decades experience in seeing people disqualified for violating rules, please elaborate.
Sure, sandbagging the interview will probably work fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 08:39 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Sure, sandbagging the interview will probably work fine.
Done it while employed several times, when my first impressions of the people I met with were not good, but they liked my qualifications. I use the tactic to allow a cordial parting of the ways.

It can easily work for OP, as it does not allow the employer to complain to the DOL and get anywhere.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:31 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
OP, when is the interview? Keep us posted.

Would you ever want to work for this company again, doing what you were doing?
Or a different position from the one you're interviewing for?

IF no, then totally blow the interview. And I'm sure we ll know how to do that.

If yess, then it's trickier. You don't want to be a good fit for THIS position. But you don't want to be sooo bad they they won't consider you for something else....or even hire you back at your old position.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:41 PM

125 posts, read 76,141 times
It used to be that if a company changed the hours on you, or the pay, that you could still qualify for unemployment because the original job you agreed to wasn't honored. Working 13 hours a day sounds like what you were not doing previously. Not sure if any state can say that an employee has to work so many hours when told to by an employer.

If you do go to the interview, you can't later say, I don't agree to work 13 hours because that's not comparable to my first job there. If you go to the interview, you'd be agreeing to their terms and conditions for the job, which you don't agree to.

If you go to the interview and attempt to sandbag (good terminology, above poster), they may know it since they know you, and hire you anyway. Also, if you say you don't like doing the job, they may still hire you anyway.

It's risky not to go to the interview. I just wrote what I wrote so that you could possibly investigate some of these things by web search. Maybe you can explore the "comparable" avenue in terms of number of hours.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:57 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
No you're right. It's so much better for you to stay on unemployment insurance rather than actually working. Why go to work and be inconvenienced when you can collect money and just stay home watching you-tube.
Come on, there is no call for that. It's YouTube, not you-tube, got it? ;-)

Old 01-25-2021, 11:06 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusflower3238 View Post
Hello, so long story short i was laid off due to covid. the company wants to rehire, for a totally different position with crazy hours. i dont want this job, but i didnt think about it before and i already said yes to the interview. im on unemployment and i dont think i can turn down an interview.

i know this sounds horrible but i need to fail this interview. first, i was going to tell them i dont have any experience in the job they are posting, and it involves calling people, in my first position i had to call people and i hated it. so im gonna be like i answered phones, etc, but i did not like doing it.
im also gonna ask why the hours are so long? the shifts are 13 hours friday - sunday.

any more tips, i dont wanna be super rude. but i also dont want to be offered a job for this position
I don't know what state you are in, but you should check with the circumstances of what you must accept and what you can reject. Does the job pay less than what you were making? Is there a transportation issue, such as the job is too far away, or that public transportation you use to get to work doesn't sync up with the crazy hours?

You could go on the interview and ask questions about the work and hours, and simply be honest by saying you don't think this job is a match for your skills and would find the 13 hour shift not manageable. I don't think that would be failing the interview, you would be selling them the truth. They would decide not to select you, so you wouldn't be turning down a position. Many times job posts are what they seem until you interview for them, where you can ask questions.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
I'd go to the interview and do my best Jim Carrey impersonation and answer all questions with movie quotes. Fill any vacant time with coughing, snorting, and sighing. Make frequent mention of the rigged election and covid hoax.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:06 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Accept the interview but spend the entire time repeatedly questioning whether 13-hour shifts are manageable for you without burnout.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Accept the interview but spend the entire time repeatedly questioning whether 13-hour shifts are manageable for you without burnout.

Or transpose all the words and numbers.
Mgr: on weekends we have 13 hour shifts.
You: Not sure I can handle 31 hour shifts.
Mgr: What? No. 13 hour shift. One three.
You: One three, three one, so confusing. So do you have 104k matching?

Old 01-31-2021, 11:26 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Since this is basically a layoff recall interview, the rules are not the same as some company calling you for an interview. Compounding it is that under the regulations, you CAN NOT refuse the interview once you agreed to it. The time to decline the interview was during the initial contact where you could have qualified the position and turn down the interview if the new work position was unsuitable as defined by your state regulations.

So, since your unemployed and probably have a bunch of time on your hands, read up on your state regulations, board decisions and court cases as it relates to suitability and new work in. If the position or terms & conditions makes the job unsuitable, it's unsuitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search