Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 02:12 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times

Advertisements

lol, OP, you sure are full of yourself, aren't you? This company doesn't want you but you seem quite invested in talking about how horrible they are.

You are wrong btw, I live in one of the first 2 states to legalize recreational marijuana and there are plenty of employers who still don't want their employees commit what is - as pointed out by Lillie767 - a federal crime. And yet, there is a lot of innovation happening here in Colorado in all kinds of fields.

Personally, I think marijuana should be legalized for the country and they should get rid of the silly prohibitions on things like banking for what is becoming a boring and mainstream industry.

But companies can still prohibit their employees from using it if they want, using weed is not a protected class and never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 02:52 PM

6,815 posts, read 4,257,270 times
I would refuse to apply for a job that requires drug testing. Not because I use them (don't smoke, drink or take any narcotics nor have I ever), but because I consider it an indicator that the job isn't a good fit for me. They can test what they want, and I won't go around badmouthing them for it, but I feel like the ability to do the job without impairment should be assumed as a given if you expect your applicants to be of a certain quality.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Some of you must not been around back in 80s where folks were doing coke at work or coming in coked up. LOL

Old 03-08-2021, 06:02 PM

24,606 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Some of you must not been around back in 80s where folks were doing coke at work or coming in coked up. LOL
No, but I have seen them getting walked out by security and the same all over the US about smoking.
If OP has an issue with a drug screen he just needs to find a different employer until federal law has been changed.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Do you consider people who have a glass or 2 of wine after dinner to be folks who "can't control their lives"? Why do you see marijuana so differently, if not?
I see people who can't control themselves in order to pass a drug test a problem and need professional help. There is a mountain of evidence of why employers do drug testing. Drug testing is a good thing and it will continue. Alcohol is legal and they rightfully test for that too.

Last edited by rummage; 03-08-2021 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-09-2021, 05:03 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I see people who can't control themselves in order to pass a drug test a problem and need professional help. There is a mountain of evidence of why employers do drug testing. Drug testing is a good thing and it will continue. Alcohol is legal and they rightfully test for that too.
It has nothing to do with not being able to control themselves. The wine is gone from your body in a day even if you drink a couple of glasses every night. If you smoke pot after work it might stay in your system for a month.

I'm not going to argue your position about drug testing, but I really fail to see what it has to do with self-control when it just stays in your body longer. If alcohol stayed in your body for a month no one would pass. I don't drink at all, and I have worked with people I know were alcoholics, a couple I think were drinking at work as it is much easier to sneak an airplane bottle of vodka in your purse and drink it in the ladies room than to get high at work.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:11 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,843 times
You are neglecting the fact that drug testing costs companies money. They spend this money because they have been able to filter out those people who don't perform well on the job, and they have a ton of metrics to back this up. It is a simple safety and productivity issue for the company and their customers and liabilities. To be frank about it, if you can't pass a drug test, you are going to eliminate yourself from the better jobs. That's going to have an entire affect on where you live, because not many people can survive in jobs collecting carts from the parking lot of a grocery store or pumping gas. I can't even imagine a place I would want to work that doesn't do drug testing. If you can't refrain from using these substances in order to pass a drug test for a job, then you have a serious problem which you should seek medical treatment for. That's why they test applicants for it.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:23 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You are neglecting the fact that drug testing costs companies money. They spend this money because they have been able to filter out those people who don't perform well on the job, and they have a ton of metrics to back this up. It is a simple safety and productivity issue for the company and their customers and liabilities. To be frank about it, if you can't pass a drug test, you are going to eliminate yourself from the better jobs. That's going to have an entire affect on where you live, because not many people can survive in jobs collecting carts from the parking lot of a grocery store or pumping gas. I can't even imagine a place I would want to work that doesn't do drug testing. If you can't refrain from using these substances in order to pass a drug test for a job, then you have a serious problem which you should seek medical treatment for. That's why they test applicants for it.
This.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,338,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It has nothing to do with not being able to control themselves. The wine is gone from your body in a day even if you drink a couple of glasses every night. If you smoke pot after work it might stay in your system for a month.

I'm not going to argue your position about drug testing, but I really fail to see what it has to do with self-control when it just stays in your body longer. If alcohol stayed in your body for a month no one would pass. I don't drink at all, and I have worked with people I know were alcoholics, a couple I think were drinking at work as it is much easier to sneak an airplane bottle of vodka in your purse and drink it in the ladies room than to get high at work.
Few people find themselves interviewing for a job without knowing beforehand that they're looking for one. Why don't you just lay off the weed for a month before you start your job search? If you can't do that, your self-discipline is in question.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,089,197 times
I haven't paid that munch attention, but is "legalization" of pot occurring at the State level? And not at the Federal level?

If so, any company receiving Federal monies/Contracts/etc. in any form must affirm that they have a drug testing program in place.

Maybe this company isn't so "old school" after all. Just clever so they can get some of the Federal gravy train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search