Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,348 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been working with company X for about 18 months. I've been going to college for 16 months and will graduate with an A.A. degree in 3 weeks. MY immediate boss knows I go to school after work, and that I've held a 4.0 the entire time. However, she does not have a say in how much I get paid, and no one of importance knows I go to school. Even if they did, it would have gone in one ear and out the other.

Would it be a good idea to talk with the HR manager and let her know I want to hand in an updated resume with my college degree, volunteer work I've done since then, and the actual work experience from this job.

I enjoy working here, but I use to speak with someone in accounting and her boss was more of a go-getter for her employees and would tell the head honchos how good they were. And the person I use to speak to told me her manager was giving her a "nice" raise as soon as she got her A.A.
However, she was majoring in Accounting, and I am majoring in Economics and work under a purchasing agent in an inventory control/shipping setting.

I know this company values degrees, and someone here has a Economics degree from USC and she does nothing related to her degree. I was hoping of some sort of acknowledgement in the form of a raise perhaps.

I also might be interested in switching positions within the company. Something related more to what I do. They hired a girl here recently who was fresh out of highschool and at times I feel her job is more important than mine. My manager trained her to do her job, to alleviate some pressure. I pretty much do data entry, and it gets boring. Although it is very stress free.

Am I too off base here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Hello,

I've been working with company X for about 18 months. I've been going to college for 16 months and will graduate with an A.A. degree in 3 weeks. MY immediate boss knows I go to school after work, and that I've held a 4.0 the entire time. However, she does not have a say in how much I get paid, and no one of importance knows I go to school. Even if they did, it would have gone in one ear and out the other.
Basically if your boss doesn't know or care about your personal development then updating your resume with HR won't matter much. If you are looking for an internal position, then update your resume and move forward with finding another role within the organization. I would probably expand that job search outside of your company as well if you can.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Basically if your boss doesn't know or care about your personal development then updating your resume with HR won't matter much. If you are looking for an internal position, then update your resume and move forward with finding another role within the organization. I would probably expand that job search outside of your company as well if you can.
Yup in due time. But as far as my manager not caring...well she "cares", as in we'll talk about it. But it's not like the acct manager...going the extra mile to make sure the CFO and other big wig knows.

That expansion will be happening by summer if I don't get anywhere within this company.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,372 times
I responded to this in another thread, but I'll add that my company has one or two HR persons who specifically handle things like tuition reimbursement, degree records, etc. You should find out which rep handles that and ask if a copy of your diploma should be included in your personal file (I can only assume that a company of a decent size, big enough to have HR personel, will keep a file of every employee).

Also ask HR if your degree will qualify you to be raised a grade level in your current position (assuming you go by a grade level system) and what level jobs you are now qualified to apply for. Even though the corporate world has turned them into pretty much policy enforcers, this is what HR is really for, so don't hesitate to call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search