Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 06:14 PM

6 posts, read 6,260 times

Advertisements

Been offered a job contingent upon passing a live scan background check through the FBI and DOJ. I have 2 misdemeanors which have been dismissed which will show on my rap sheet. This means the process will take longer than the usual 7 days max. Its been 8 days so far. Im afraid it's going to take a fair amount of extra time like lots of agencies are with processing things lately. The hiring process has already taken over a month and I've been unemployed for longer than that. I have this feeling its going to take an absurdly long time for my results to finally go through to the point where I'm better off just getting a different job. I really want this job though.

Anyone out there with a record who had to do a DOJ/FBI live scan in recent years? If so, how long did it take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 08:12 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Live scan has little to do with return time based on record files. A live scan will return the results with no history or with a history in about the same amount of time. Usually any delay in you being told the finial disposition is when the receiver of the returned information pauses their process to look into the what was returned more closely.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Live scan has little to do with return time based on record files. A live scan will return the results with no history or with a history in about the same amount of time. Usually any delay in you being told the finial disposition is when the receiver of the returned information pauses their process to look into the what was returned more closely.
Oh. I thought if you don't have a criminal record the results are sent back right away since there's no matching prints in the system, but If a match is found then an actual technician has to take over and do a few things before the results are returned- which makes the process take substantially longer.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:00 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
If you want the job, why wouldn't you wait? You already have a contingent offer. They may be pulling court documents and police reports, which can take some time to get.

What takes time is the leg work that the person receiving the report has to do, and the wait time with public records requests.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:10 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusktuskins View Post
Been offered a job contingent upon passing a live scan background check through the FBI and DOJ. I have 2 misdemeanors which have been dismissed which will show on my rap sheet.
Were they "class 1 misdemeanor"?

Usually they will tell you what they are looking for in background checks, such as felony charges or misdemeanor involving something serious.

At this point I'd say keep waiting and continue your job search. Don't stop searching unless you have a solid offer in your hands.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Were they "class 1 misdemeanor"?

Usually they will tell you what they are looking for in background checks, such as felony charges or misdemeanor involving something serious.

At this point I'd say keep waiting and continue your job search. Don't stop searching unless you have a solid offer in your hands.
I don't think my state classifies misdemeanors into levels but I'm pretty sure both misdemeanors would be classified as class 1 in states that do.

They did not tell me what they are looking for at any point.

Ive already been offered the job and accepted.

Is it pretty common practice to offer someone a job prior to them completing a criminal background check? ...I thought it was a bit unusual.

I live in a state where it's illegal to deny someone a job based off convictions that have been dismissed though. However, both charges are driving related and the job very infrequently involves driving according to the job description so I'm thinking they may deny me because of that.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:16 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
You seem to mention charges and convictions as if they are the same thing -- they are not.

Contingent offers upon successful completion of a background check are common, especially if you are going to work for any level of government or be in a position of public trust.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:00 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
I live in a state where it's illegal to deny someone a job based off convictions that have been dismissed though. However, both charges are driving related and the job very infrequently involves driving according to the job description so I'm thinking they may deny me because of that.
You mentioned both charges are driving related so I am guessing they're DUI related.

But since both have been dismissed I think you’re cleared.

Most security questions ask you "Have you been convicted of.....". In your case, the answer is "NO"

Old 08-13-2022, 11:35 AM

The requesting agency still hasn't received the results from the DOJ. Its now been over a month since the live scan. I've checked the status on the DOJ website using my ati number and the status is "in progress". In this time Ive done another live scan and requested my criminal record from the DOJ. Everything looks in order, each conviction has the correct disposition and it says both have been dismissed. What could be causing the delay?

Old 08-13-2022, 11:13 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
The requesting agency still hasn't received the results from the DOJ. Its now been over a month since the live scan. I've checked the status on the DOJ website using my ati number and the status is "in progress". In this time Ive done another live scan and requested my criminal record from the DOJ. Everything looks in order, each conviction has the correct disposition and it says both have been dismissed. What could be causing the delay?
Were you honest in all the paperwork? I had convictions on my record but I had explained each one and they were not an issue. I was upfront about everything and passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search