Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 10:27 AM

858 posts, read 680,223 times

Advertisements

I am so sick of hearing that employers can't find qualified workers or any workers at all.

This site alone is full of folks searching for jobs and many have been searching for weeks...months.

At 65 I find I am overqualified, too old and possibly overpaid to find any new employment. But many highly experienced folks in their 40s and 50s are struggling to find work, because employers know it's a buyer market. They can wait for the "perfect" candidate (i.e., experienced and cheap) and the longer they wait the longer they can force their existing employees to work harder (i.e., lower operating cost = higher profits)

And they know slowing the supply chain allows them to raise their prices even higher. Capitalism at its "best".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 02:21 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
While I agree, there's not much we can do about it.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:18 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I am so sick of hearing that employers can't find qualified workers or any workers at all.

This site alone is full of folks searching for jobs and many have been searching for weeks...months.

At 65 I find I am overqualified, too old and possibly overpaid to find any new employment. But many highly experienced folks in their 40s and 50s are struggling to find work, because employers know it's a buyer market. They can wait for the "perfect" candidate (i.e., experienced and cheap) and the longer they wait the longer they can force their existing employees to work harder (i.e., lower operating cost = higher profits)

And they know slowing the supply chain allows them to raise their prices even higher. Capitalism at its "best".
Feeling better? This is not your first rant.

Qualified professionals are still a commodity. They get the red carpet treatment. Soso ones do not.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:13 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Qualified professionals are still a commodity. They get the red carpet treatment. Soso ones do not.
Unfortunately, many of the So-So's and the No Even Worth Considering's all think they are CEO material.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:59 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post

Um... okay.

overqualified for what? This isn't exactly a 1:1 correlation between someone needing a job and someone needing a role filled.

I do agree that some companies may be better off looking at "trainability" than experience for certain roles. But that in itself isn't going to be the answer for all jobs/job seekers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Unfortunately, many of the So-So's and the No Even Worth Considering's all think they are CEO material.
They're clearly BETTER than the CEOs because they have no shortage of answers and criticisms of how to solve every problem a company may face..

Old 10-21-2022, 12:01 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
You are absolutely correct.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My last vacant position (60-70k) was filled in May, and I only had 8 applicants. Of those only 4 met the minimum requirements and were interviewed. After interviews only two were considered acceptable, and the one I selected is working out great. Back before Covid that position would have 30-40 applicants and we would interview 10-15. Meanwhile my employer has filled over 400 openings this year, some retirements, but most are because our best people are getting offers for more money by bigger local employers like Amazon and Starbuck's Headquarters. A

Old 10-31-2022, 01:52 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
A lot of lies are being told, all around. My daughter got jerked around a lot on several job searches and hirings. Granted, she messed up a lot from youthful foolishness. But she cleaned up her act and went all over to get a new start. One interviewer stated $13 for the job. She started there and was paid $11. Complained and was told "$13 is what you can work up to". She found a new job at a printing company, gave 2 week notice, then called new place Friday afternoon before her Monday start date. Wanted to verify who to report to; was told the offer had been withdrawn. She met some guys somewhere doing a heating/air project and was told their company was hiring. Told her who to talk to at the office. She went there and was told they weren't hiring. A friend told her to move to her town, that her boyfriend could get her a job at his company. She went, then was told they didn't hire women. She had that same story at another place too.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My last vacant position (60-70k) was filled in May, and I only had 8 applicants. Of those only 4 met the minimum requirements and were interviewed. After interviews only two were considered acceptable, and the one I selected is working out great. Back before Covid that position would have 30-40 applicants and we would interview 10-15. Meanwhile my employer has filled over 400 openings this year, some retirements, but most are because our best people are getting offers for more money by bigger local employers like Amazon and Starbuck's Headquarters. A
What were the minimum requirements and for what position? How did you fill over 400 openings if people are so hard to find? Something doesn't add up here.

Can your company not afford to raise salaries to keep those "best people" you are losing? If people are so hard to find, why not do more to keep the ones you have? Could you survive a smaller profit margin to keep your best people? I've heard a lot of talk over the years how much it costs to hire a new person and get him/her up to spec. Or do you lose those best people by burnout and overwork?

Old 10-31-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Hmm, many CEO's or other exec's can do even a few of the jobs in their companies? How many of them these days "started in the mailroom"? I recall being part of a service team with 4 managers. Only one of them had any experience on the floor and could help get a difficult case through the system. None of the others had a clue and stayed hidden in their private offices. None of them could have covered a desk for a day or helped cover the phones when we had people out sick. Go to them with a question and a common answer was "Geez, I don't know.". Particularly amusing was that one of them was a fierce advocate of crosstraining but was totally unwilling to do it himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search