Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2022, 11:44 AM

317 posts, read 307,557 times

Advertisements

Need suggestions for remote work for my disabled wife please. She is in her late 30's, hasn't worked for over a decade due to various disabilities and has a difficult time maintaining any type of regular schedule due to all of the medications she is on and when they do or don't allow her to sleep. She is on SSDI, which she had to fight for with an attorney for several years before getting approved. I've told her to be satisfied with that and just try to be as comfortable as possible and try to focus on her health, but I think as a young person, she is feeling unsatisfied with being so unproductive. Her previous work experience was limited to retail and corporate security.

She has had many interviews, but is never called back. She thinks that is due to the long time that she has been unemployed and her disabilities. She did have one job as a remote admin assistant, but with her inability to stick to a regular schedule it didn't last long. I also think that she may also be a bit jealous as I work in healthcare administration and have been working remotely since the beginning of the pandemic and she would like to do something similar but is not able to.

There are many independent contractor positions that would probably allow her to set the amount and time of work she does, but a lot of scams also. Unfortunately in her desperation she does make herself vulnerable. I can't keep count of all the times she has fallen victim to scams and given out her bank or personal information, only to find out it's a scam and then have to work to secure her information or report fraud to her bank or whatever the situation may require. To try and prevent this from happening again, I'm trying to help her look, but it's really difficult for me when I wouldn't even hire her because I know how limited she is in her abilities. I know there has to be something for her, I've just exhausted looking everywhere that I'm aware of. I've started looking at places that specifically employ people with disabilities, but most seem like they want people in person and she isn't interested in going anywhere with all the pain she is in. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited by CaliforniaPlaya; 12-16-2022 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 01:06 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I feel for your wife. Has she ever ran across this site? If not, she should check it out & get in contact w/ someone there:

My Employment Options ~ Work from Home & Community Placements For Individuals on SSI and SSDI

https://www.myemploymentoptions.com/

I wish her well!

Old 12-19-2022, 07:57 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Sounds like she needs to work for herself. Author. Photographer. Graphic Designer. Influencer. Baker. Jewelry Maker. Beekeeper.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:38 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Every state has a department or bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. It’s a 78% federally funded program administered by the states which contribute the rest of the money. Their purpose is to help people with disabilities return to work. For people such as your wife she is presumed eligible for services because she is on SSDI and they can help her find part time work so she can also keep her disability.

I spent 20 years helping clients identify suitable occupations based on interest, ability, labor market, disability, etc. It’s free unless you make a lot of money and then you are expected to pay a part of the cost of services. Very few people ever had to pay anything.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:30 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
I completely concur with TT about contacting the agency/dept responsible in your state for Vocational Rehabilitation. They would be one of the go-to resources that may be able to steer you towards a more local or targeted employment resource. There are many employers like myself that are willing to work with and accommodate disabled individual work needs. however, we seldom openly announce these jobs and targeted requirements so we work through state or local organizations.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:20 AM

317 posts, read 307,557 times
We'll have to look into that, didn't even realize that exists. Great suggestions everyone! Thank You!

Old 12-20-2022, 10:39 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Teaching is my retirement pt job and the other was my career. We had job developers that had relationships with employers to let us put our clients in some of their positions. It’s a win win because often we pay part of their wages while the client is training and we send in a job coach if needed to help the client learn their job.

If the client gets promoted we can come back in and help them learn the new job. Everyone’s taxes pay for this and people with disabilities have a low employment rate because employers don’t know how to accommodate and what to expect.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:48 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Not to downplay the desire to EARN with a job, she can still contribute by volunteering. Working with children, seniors, whatever. Check out volunteermatch.org or just contact the local library or other similar resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search