Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2023, 11:19 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times

Advertisements

I fired off some resumes for a part time job and they're coming back to me with interview offers.
I may be starting one of the jobs already but I'm not sure how it will work out...in the meantime how do I handle the other interview offers so as not to delay and have them lose interest?
One of them was trying to set an interview date immediately,but I stalled them by telling them I would have to work that into my schedule...which right off probably knocks me down a notch in their eyes being that most candidates would nail down a day right then.
Anyway,if they're still interested when I get back to them then great...but I know how companies like to play hardball and keep the upper hand in things like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 12:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Part time is different that full time with benefits. For part time they are usually looking for multiple people and to start as soon as possible, so they will seem pushy. If they don't get as many applicants as they would like, they will probably still schedule you. I have an opening now for a position that's full time with benefits, pension, and hybrid starting at about $60k. We will schedule one day of interviews, and if an applicant can't make it that day they are out of the running.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:17 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have an opening now for a position that's full time with benefits, pension, and hybrid starting at about $60k.
Wow sounds like a great deal...I'm making less than that plus there's no hybrid,I've got to still deal with the rush hour mess.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Wow sounds like a great deal...I'm making less than that plus there's no hybrid,I've got to still deal with the rush hour mess.
Here in the Seattle area that's not considered a lot, in fact no applicants yet since it went up on Friday.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:33 PM

425 posts, read 646,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I may be starting one of the jobs already but I'm not sure how it will work out...in the meantime how do I handle the other interview offers so as not to delay and have them lose interest?
It's not that hard. You field them as you get them and they will always ask where are you in your job search and you be honest (ie early, or in mid stage other places etc).

After your interview if you like them and they like you and it gets to an offer stage you have to decide whether to take it. Along the way if you don't like a company, just decline to go further. It's very hard to get multiple offers at once so you just have to go with your gut whether a position is worth pursuing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search