Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2023, 04:58 PM

10 posts, read 10,665 times

Advertisements

So our old department head left the company, and I was promoted in his place temporarily until a new department head is hired. The VP said I and other internal candidates are welcome to apply for the position as well, because it may take a while, maybe a 2-4 months or longer, to conduct a search for the new department head. So I may be in this interim position for a while.

But I don't know if this is just an audition for me or if the VP is intending to really hire from the outside. Because of the uncertainty of this whole situation, as I don't know if the new department head will restructure the entire department and possibly restructure me out of my job that I go back to once my interim role is over, I sent some feelers out there and a company is seriously interested in me, starting sooner than later but the VP of my current company says I'm in a critical role to keep things going until we hire a new department head, and he increased my pay for the temporary job but said my salary will go back down to what it was once my temporary role is over (when the new supervisory is hired).

So the question is, if I get the offer from the other company, do I move on, or do I let the VP know that I received another offer and see if he's willing to offer me the permanent position instead? I'm interested in staying with my current employer because I've been there a while and wouldn't have to commute as far, but I don't know why he wouldn't offer me the permanent position in the first place if he thinks I'm good enough to run the ship for a few months. If I were to say I got an offer elsewhere, you think the VP would think I was trying to strong-arm him into offering me the position permanently, and therefore may not end well because I looked around in the first place?

Appreciate any opinions or insight into this situation. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 09:14 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Don't read into it. It is exactly what it is. Someone has to be in charge temporarily, and that someone is you. Being an internal candidate may be advantageous, or it may not be. If you get a better job offer, take it. The internal candidate is not always promoted. I wouldn't try to use a new job offer as any leverage either.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:52 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Don't read into it. It is exactly what it is. Someone has to be in charge temporarily, and that someone is you. Being an internal candidate may be advantageous, or it may not be. If you get a better job offer, take it. The internal candidate is not always promoted. I wouldn't try to use a new job offer as any leverage either.
This. I've been in your position OP. I stepped up to replace my own supervisor temporarily. Eventually, the vacancy was announced and I applied for it. Management chose from outside the local office despite having at least two employees who could have stepped into the role quite well. In this particular case the reason why I wasn't selected wasn't a very legitimate one, but it was what it was. It didn't feel good, believe me.

Face it. You were the one that could slip into the supervisory role most easily because you were on hand. That does not necessarily mean management might have selected you for the role permanently. Until they advertise the position, they'll have no idea what the candidate pool is even like outside the company's current employee pool. There could be someone outside the company who's truly a perfect fit administratively, culturally, philosophically, even if they don't happen to be privy to the operational details you obviously are. They may be looking for an infusion of fresh blood that has little to do with your particular current skills. Some who will mesh with management in a different way.

All that being said, if you really want this supervisory position, apply for it. If you don't, don't. What do you have to lose? If you don't apply you can't be considered. Just be prepared not to take their decision personally. It may not be.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-02-2023 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-07-2023, 09:53 AM

577 posts, read 299,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpol66 View Post
So our old department head left the company, and I was promoted in his place temporarily until a new department head is hired. The VP said I and other internal candidates are welcome to apply for the position as well, because it may take a while, maybe a 2-4 months or longer, to conduct a search for the new department head. So I may be in this interim position for a while.

But I don't know if this is just an audition for me or if the VP is intending to really hire from the outside. Because of the uncertainty of this whole situation, as I don't know if the new department head will restructure the entire department and possibly restructure me out of my job that I go back to once my interim role is over, I sent some feelers out there and a company is seriously interested in me, starting sooner than later but the VP of my current company says I'm in a critical role to keep things going until we hire a new department head, and he increased my pay for the temporary job but said my salary will go back down to what it was once my temporary role is over (when the new supervisory is hired).

So the question is, if I get the offer from the other company, do I move on, or do I let the VP know that I received another offer and see if he's willing to offer me the permanent position instead? I'm interested in staying with my current employer because I've been there a while and wouldn't have to commute as far, but I don't know why he wouldn't offer me the permanent position in the first place if he thinks I'm good enough to run the ship for a few months. If I were to say I got an offer elsewhere, you think the VP would think I was trying to strong-arm him into offering me the position permanently, and therefore may not end well because I looked around in the first place?

Why aren’t you re organizubf the dept? You know more about it than most others. Show you can be a change agent. Also many great individual contributors fail in leadership and supervisory positions. Stay and show you are the best for this different job or if you don’t like being a supervisory that lesson is worth more than you can imagine. Being a supervisor when you don’t like it is a career disaster. A temp trial is great fir you and you can show you are a leader and change agent.

Old 10-11-2023, 07:12 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
.... I sent some feelers out there and a company is seriously interested in me, starting sooner than later... he increased my pay for the temporary job but said my salary will go back down to what it was once my temporary role is over (when the new supervisory is hired).

So the question is, if I get the offer from the other company, do I move on, or do I let the VP know that I received another offer and see if he's willing to offer me the permanent position instead? I'm interested in staying with my current employer because I've been there a while and wouldn't have to commute as far, but I don't know why he wouldn't offer me the permanent position in the first place if he thinks I'm good enough to run the ship for a few months....

When you put your 2 week resignation notice ...his might force their hand to lie to you about giving you the promotion but they might really plan to hire someone else due to a chip on their shoulder by you threatening to leave. In this case, you could end up getting fired in 4-8 months when they hire someone else. They would have lost trust in you for you trying to leave before they were done with their search. This is why it is suggested by pros to actually resign when giving notice, and change your mind and stay at current job.

If current company wasn't ready to commit tp you NOW(instead put you in the position temporarily), then it perhaps they are looking to find the someone else and using you as a 4 month stop gap. Perhaps they want someone with different experience or education, looking for the "perfect" candidate in their eyes and this isn't you, for whatever criteria they might have.

It's also possible that the VP's boss required a formal job search for all candidates before making an offer, or it could be corporate policy. Who knows. To be honest, they sure don't respect you that much to put you in that position temporarily, only to demote you once they pick someone else. What a horrible position to be in for you.

If I was in your shoes I would take that other position at other company if you get an offer that you like. Too much risk putting in 2 week notice and then staying because you would be forcing their hand. If you don't get the other offer, then stay silent and perhaps they give you the promotion in a few months. In this case it's fine to take the promotion because you wouldn't have forced their hand. Just my take.

Old 10-14-2023, 11:09 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:

If you find another job, and ask for the job to be permanent instead of temporary acting, they will agree to your terms, and then very soon you will be introduced to your replacement and then be placed back into your old role or decide not to keep you around and let you go.

If they really wanted you in the position, they would have simply put you in it. If they wanted to give you a year or whatever time frame as acting in the job to see how you do, they would have done that. But you were told they would look for a replacement for that position and that is exactly what they intend to do.

If you find a better job situation, then you should take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search