Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

As a new professional in the world of work, I was so happy to get notice that I was promoted and would get a ten percent raise along with lots of new responsibilities. Looks like for me at least the world of work is going to be great and my college training was helpful.

I was so excited to see my first pay stub after my first raise! Even more excited when I saw that they gave me a 17% raise instead of the 10% my promotional letter stated.

I assumed that they would find the mistake and cut my next check down accordingly but the second and third paycheck also gave me the 17% raise. (Instead of the 10% they promised.)

What would you do? Let it be and see what happens and if they find their error in an audit, play dumb, or would you report the overpayment to your supervisor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 12:34 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,739 times
My personal integrity would have me report it to my supervisor to ensure it was in fact on purpose and not an error. If it is an error they will want their money returned.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:39 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,641 times
This shouldn't even be a question. You tell them about it and see if it is a mistake. If not, then they can explain the reason for the difference in your pay and the letter. If it is and you report it, they will appreciate the honesty (which should be expected of any employee).

If it is a mistake and you didn't say anything then you will look completely unethical (which you are by keeping quiet) and at the very least you will have to pay back all the extra money. And, I am guessing they will want it all back in one sum.....not over many months.

The longer this goes unreported, the worse it is going to get.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:50 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Didn't you take ethics in college? Come on. You know need to report it. Don't jeopardize your entire career with this company over a very short-term gain.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:53 PM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur digby sellers View Post
didn't you take ethics in college? Come on. You know need to report it. Don't jeopardize your entire career with this company over a very short-term gain.
^^^^^ this!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:58 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Professional View Post
As a new professional in the world of work, I was so happy to get notice that I was promoted and would get a ten percent raise along with lots of new responsibilities. Looks like for me at least the world of work is going to be great and my college training was helpful.

I was so excited to see my first pay stub after my first raise! Even more excited when I saw that they gave me a 17% raise instead of the 10% my promotional letter stated.

I assumed that they would find the mistake and cut my next check down accordingly but the second and third paycheck also gave me the 17% raise. (Instead of the 10% they promised.)

What would you do? Let it be and see what happens and if they find their error in an audit, play dumb, or would you report the overpayment to your supervisor?
Before you freak out make sure youre calculating your raise correctly. Is your updated salary figure available anywhere? You should see something like 50,000 before and 55,000 now. Or are you calculating the change in your gross pay on your paycheck? How are you calculating it?

If you have any questions your payroll dept should easily walk you through this.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:34 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Before you freak out make sure youre calculating your raise correctly. Is your updated salary figure available anywhere? You should see something like 50,000 before and 55,000 now. Or are you calculating the change in your gross pay on your paycheck? How are you calculating it?

If you have any questions your payroll dept should easily walk you through this.
Yeah good point... Costs like health insurance would stay the same, maybe even retirement contributions, so 10% could easily show up as 17% take home pay.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Yeah good point... Costs like health insurance would stay the same, maybe even retirement contributions, so 10% could easily show up as 17% take home pay.
Yea we had people come to us a lot in my last job who were calculating the net change in their NET pay and it came out to higher than their raise and they were confused. Have to look at gross.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
First, make sure the deductions were taken and are correct.

Second, how sad that you had to post in a forum to ask what you should do.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
First, make sure the deductions were taken and are correct.

Second, how sad that you had to post in a forum to ask what you should do.
Eh, sometimes its good to ask a question, it leads to others pointing out that youre calculating your pay increase wrong before opening your mouth to your manager, this making you look silly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment