Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,915 times

Advertisements

I'm venting on behalf of my husband (though this has happene to me on occasion too over the years).

The guy has been out of work for about 2 months. In that time he's had quite a number of inteviews. They've all been out of town except one, and that's because we'd like to relocate.

Right now, he's "in the interview process" with at least 3 companies. And he's getting the same aggravating line. He gets the first phone interview. Nice discussion--lasts anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour or more. Sometimes followed by a second interview before the 'in-person' (because he's out of town--he's been flown to 2 interviews so far).

But the three companies he's got going now are ALL saying the same thing! They start by saying "great background--we've got 2 or more slots open and your background would work for any of them. We're going to talk with the others and get back to you today or tomorrow"

Next thing he knows days and weeks go by. Company #1 gave him this line 3 weeks ago. He sent a thank-you note after the phone interview and got a short reply: you were the first person interviewed--have some more interviews and am going on vacation. Will call you when I return so we can discuss next steps (and then proceeded to list what next steps would be). When this person returned, she never got in touch. So he sent a 'touch base/follow up' email. Her reply: "still interviewing, will call in a few days". No response. Ok, so that one's pretty well dead. Would be nice if she SAID so but oh well.

So, two more interviews on the phone this week. Two different cities. The first one, after the one hour interview said "we've got 3 positions open and your background is great for any of them. I'm going to check w/ the others and get back to you most likely today but maybe tomorrow".

That was Monday of this week.

Second one was yesterday. Person said "we've got a spot open that's even more suited for your experience. We want to talk to you about that position" So they proceed to talk about that position. And then they ended with "ok, we'll be following up within the next day or so. Ok, so that was only yesterday but still, he's heard nothing.

I'm just venting 'cause it's so aggravating! I'd rather be told upfront "you're just not a fit".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,031 times
Your preaching to the choir when it comes to most people who will read this post. And we have all shared your frustration at one time or another.

It's amazing how so many places of employment feel their time is so much more valuable than ours. We take the time and energy to apply for positions, to sell ourselves and hopefully land an interview, then we take time out of our days and gas (which isn't cheap) to go interview. If they want to choose someone else fine, that's how it goes. However, don't lead people on, or fail to call someone back if you say you will, etc. It wouldn't kill them to at least let those that weren't chosen know about the status of things.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
In all honesty that is how the majority of companies operate. Me, I interview and forget about them. If they call back, great. If they don't call back, oh well.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:30 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,553,298 times
Just went through this. Sent a resume, was told to come in and take a skills test (word processing, grammer, spelling, etc.). Took the test and I scored well and was asked right then and there to stay and interview. Interviewed with the immediate supervisor of the position and it went well. Get a call a couple of days later to meet with the Project Director and was emailed a detailed description of the company's benefits. Met with the director and also the HR person and it went well. Was asked if I would be available for a phone interview with a VP in a couple of days. Yes I am. Left out of there with a "looking to see you soon" and "we are still committed to a couple of more interviews but you seem like the front runner right now." Haven't heard anything since. This was 3 weeks ago and they posted the ad in the paper again.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Just went through this. Sent a resume, was told to come in and take a skills test (word processing, grammer, spelling, etc.). Took the test and I scored well and was asked right then and there to stay and interview. Interviewed with the immediate supervisor of the position and it went well. Get a call a couple of days later to meet with the Project Director and was emailed a detailed description of the company's benefits. Met with the director and also the HR person and it went well. Was asked if I would be available for a phone interview with a VP in a couple of days. Yes I am. Left out of there with a "looking to see you soon" and "we are still committed to a couple of more interviews but you seem like the front runner right now." Haven't heard anything since. This was 3 weeks ago and they posted the ad in the paper again.
Ugh. This is exactly the kind of frustration to which I was referring. Of course if the fit isn't right, it isn't right. Why jump through all the hoops? I've been on the other side of the desk plenty of times--I've hired more than my share of people. I didn't waste the other person's time. I always told the people who interviewed exactly where we were in the process and on the occasion my budget for hiring got held up, or the boss wanted me to interview his daughter (yup, that happened), etc., I would call everyone to let them know as much as I could about the delay.

I do work FT--fortunately not unemployed right now like my husband or that would be a total disaster! But I don't work in my chosen field as I traded off salary for job flexibility and a lot less stress. However, now that he's out of work, I'm looking to jump back in so I can pull in double the money. I answered a posting for a position (local) and sent in my resume---the usual drill. Not more than 3 hours later the recruiter calls me. Turns out when they gave the general location of the job, they sort of stretched the truth and what I figured would be a 20 mile commute is really 40 miles. First red flag.

Then the recruiter, who is offsite and downtown, tells me they like to meet the candidates in person if possible before the interview. Ok, so I set up a time and she cancels on me (valid reason though). She wants me to come in the next day and that's not convenient. I push it to next week figuring I'll know by then whether or not I've got the interview w/ the company. No interview and I'm not going to waste my time meeting w/ her. She's being very cagey about whether or not it's actually booked. It's just really disrespectful of my time and totally turning me off to this company.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
In all honesty that is how the majority of companies operate. Me, I interview and forget about them. If they call back, great. If they don't call back, oh well.

I agree. You will hear

"You will hear from us."

"We definitely will be considering you for the position"

blah blah blah

It is all talk and unless you get a second interview or a formal offer...don't even get hopeful.
And don't let them call you up and talk money with you if they aren't making you an offer. I have had some do that with me, trying to find out what I make, because they are probably trying to decide if they want to hire the cheaper one.
If they do, say, "Are you making me an offer for a job?" and if they say "No, just want to know what you are making." I would say, "I will talk money if an offer is made."
Giving a figure could ********* out of a job really fast, and you won't know what they are looking to pay until they make an offer.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times
Yup, that's the way I feel also.

Quote:

Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
My EXACT feelings!! Now, if you want to, be "aggressive" and call the company and ask them what's going on with the job. Just don't "pain" yourself and wait for a call.

Quote:

Old 06-18-2008, 07:35 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,774 times
Sometimes your contact person is not the person making the decision either. That's important to keep in mind. You may be talking with HR and the CEO is making the decision. All they can do is feed you the same line. Don't shoot the messenger!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,160 times
[quote=findingmesomeday;4148743]I'm venting on behalf of my husband

I feel your pain....same thing going on with my hubby, for 6 months now. He is such a trooper, while I seem to be the one with the mama bear attitude wanting to protect what's mine

good luck to y'all !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search