Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:36 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Sounds like, for the time being, you need to "bloom where you're planted." If you're already in retail, can you find a way to move up in the company you're at? That would give you more experience, and more in your line, which will help you in finding another job.
Also, you'll be able to earn a bit more and save up more money for your eventual move. (While there, though, don't talk a lot about how you want to move away).
You might also go back to your college's placement office for help. They will often help alumni with job hunting efforts.
Much good luck to you!
I tried to get in my company's management training program when I first started there a year ago and failed. I have been thinking of reapplying, though.

I have an interview at another company for a manager trainee position so if I am offered a job, I can work there and save money to eventually move or have them transfer me if I stay there long enough..but, again, this contingent on them offering me the job. If not, then going back to my school' s career placement office can help. thanks, southlander!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:02 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Most companys will not hire/interview someone who lives out of the State......just fact!
Most of the time, the only positions that a company will hire out-of-State for is: CEO, President, CFO or other high executive positions. A company will even advertise out of the State to fill those positions.

Thats not really true. If you have what they are looking for they might even help you to move.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
Red face moving to la mesa CA from the south

Hi. I have recently moved to San Diego from the Southeastern US. Quite a culture shift and the weather's great. I am a teacher, and the guv-er-nator is cutting the education budget here. Any suggestions for my job search from you wise people in cyberspace?????

Thanks in advance. I do like it here. Expensive, though.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:42 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,272 times
To OP try federal jobs also. Federal jobs don't matter where you live and they know people are competing from all over. Most posts will say they won't pay relocation expenses because they know many apply from diff states. Some even say only applicants in local commuting area (FAA has that alot). The best site that is not a scam for Federal is usajobs.com
Also many of these jobs will accept education as substitute for experience.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
Take the job, but go strike up a deal with an extended stay motel. Do not move your stuff.
Pack 2 suitcases. Try to find one close to work, so you don't have to rent a car...
Go try them out for a month or two, because that is what THEY are doing with you...trying you out. I wish I had done this. Because they thought nothing of letting me go to give someone else my job after I had moved. No kidding. a real nightmare. It would have been nice to have pulled out plane tickets and said, Au revoir.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
And you have to give it awhile, because they will be all fluffy and nice at first. It takes awhile for the knives and lies to come out.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 AM

559 posts, read 1,394,515 times
Talk to your landlord about listing your apt. as available in the sublet/temporary housing section of craigslist. Ask potential tenants for references. Maybe your landlord can also do credit checks. Maybe list it as available starting in Oct. or Nov. to give yourself time to find a reliable tenant and pack your things.

I have been trying to figure out how and when to move out of state, so I know how difficult it is. I've had a few phone interviews but that's as far as I've gotten. I've also had a few people say "call us after you get here".

Old 08-16-2008, 11:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
There a few things you can do. There are reasons that employers are leery about out of state applicants for jobs. Especially in places that are considered "desired" like Florida, Atlanta, Phoneix, California. The reason that they are leery is because often an applicant will move there and take the job and them decide that the place was not all it was jacked up to be and decide to "go back home". So then the employer has to hire another person and spend money training them.
What you can do is use your cover to letter to let the employer know that you are relocating for a specific reason and that you plan to be in the area for a long time. Even if it is BS, you can write something like like "my spouse has accepted a position in ____ to be closer to his/her family and I too am seeking a position so we can buy a home and get settled". And then you might consider investing a few dollars in one of those pre paid phones with an area code and number in that city.
That tells the employer that you are moving there because you have ties there and not just to "try out a new place" and that you intend to be around for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search