Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times

Advertisements

What do you do (or have you done) to prepare for a job interview?

Have you ever been asked an interesting, well thought out question by an interviewer? Did you have a good response or were you stumped?
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Do you study the company website for information so you are more informed?

Do you practice questions and answers?

Does your spouse or S.O. help you?

ETC...............

Being the ridiculously organized sort that I am, I have compiled a comprehensive list of over 40 questions and prepared responses for each.
YEP!!! You read that right! Told you I was organized!
My list is nicely compiled on "Word" and I add to it whenever I come across an interesting question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
I practise making fake smiles in the mirror.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:09 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
I'll do research but I've applied to many social work jobs over the years and often there isn't much out there. Some places have websites but the info is usually minimal. Still it's nice to have a background on the company. Usually only 2% of these companies have asked me what I knwo about their company when being interviewed. I don't practice for interviews but often take a few initial interviews when out job searching to get into the swing of things. Best way to practice and hopefully I'll get a job out of the places that I may not have the best chance.

The one question I hate and never know what to answer is "What do you hate the most about your current employer?" Never really know how to answer that one. What exactly are they looking for in a response? I never want to come off as speaking negative and always struggle for an answer. Most of the honest answers I don't think would go over well.

Also how do people respond when they ask what questions you have when they've been completely thorough with the description of the job, pay, hours, etc.? I tend to ask about the work environment as that is important.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:13 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Lately, I've been more conversational in tone during my interviews as opposed to rehearsed and it has worked out great. I go into interviews knowing why I'm interviewing with that particular company and knowing my top 3 strengths and an interesting fact or two that will make me stand out from others. I try to work that info in when I can. I don't just say I can do this and that, I explain that I can do it better than anyone else because....you get the idea. My last interview a few months ago I got hit with an obscure technical question (related to my industry) and I was honest and said it was a great question, let me think for a minute, and then I came up with an answer.

I'm convinced that it's not so much a specific answer that they want, but they want to know if you can think on your feet and deal with the unexpected. I've never applied for a job for which I'm not qualified; but I always bring a good game, too. And I always ask questions about the job and the company. I'm interviewing them, too.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:17 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
[quote=R.J. MacReady;
[[B]B]Also how do people respond when they ask what questions you have when they've been completely thorough with the description of the job, pay, hours, etc.?[[/b]/[/b]quote]

Good questions to ask could include....What would a typical workday be like? What you you (the interviewer) like about working here. Who would I work with the most. etc...

Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I practise making fake smiles in the mirror.
This.
I don't smile much day to day unless something is genuinely funny or makes me happy or whatever. I can't do the fake smile thing so well so I brush up before the interview so as to not look awkward.

The stumper question for me is always when they ask that canned crap like "Give us five words that describe you." "What is your weakest attribute, what could you improve on?" Awesome, sexy, new-wave, hardcore, defenestrator, how is that? If I really knew don't you think I would have improved on it by now? I'm not that complacent yet, jesus. Why don't you hire me and in a year why don't you come back and tell -me- what I need to work on, mmmk? I know they are looking for someone that can analyze themselves and constantly work on improving themselves, but damn that gets old.
I could just memorize some crap before hand...I guess I am just always optimistic that this time these people will have something new and interesting to ask.

I run over the website a few times. I don't have practice questions, I don't run scenarios in my head, and I generally try not to think too much about it. Just walk in with your head up and be as comfortable as humanly possible. I do -not- consider myself an outgoing or suave person by any stretch...pretty much the exact opposite, but somehow I manage to do well in interviews.

Now if the rest of my life went so smoothly I'd be set...

Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
Look at the company's website. Know what they do, how they like to do it, etc.
Be prepared for some questions, but don't rehearse it too much.
1. what is your best quality? your worst?
2. What is your strenght/weakness?
THose sorts of things.
Personally, I look at the website and work out the job description (example: make sure you know what the wording means of each task...nothing worse than to not know what you are doing)
Also, make a list of questions yourself. I do this by looking at their site and finding an intersting thing to ask...For example: I saw on your site that you have done advertisements with Kodak...Are they your biggest account? This lets them know you have researched them and have a valid interest.

Also, know what YOU want from the company. I recently went to an interview where it was for weekends and I knew I needed weekdays, so I went in with that and ended up getting week day position.
GOod luck. Half thinking here (dinner with kids time) so I hope this makes sense.
Just be calm and dress for the job you are going for. If you are going for a management position, better where a suit. Going for a retail job at the mall: nice pants and nice shirt.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
This.
I don't smile much day to day unless something is genuinely funny or makes me happy or whatever. I can't do the fake smile thing so well so I brush up before the interview so as to not look awkward.

The stumper question for me is always when they ask that canned crap like "Give us five words that describe you." "What is your weakest attribute, what could you improve on?"

i hate those questions too!

Awesome, sexy, new-wave, hardcore, defenestrator, how is that? If I really knew don't you think I would have improved on it by now? I'm not that complacent yet, jesus. Why don't you hire me and in a year why don't you come back and tell -me- what I need to work on, mmmk? I know they are looking for someone that can analyze themselves and constantly work on improving themselves, but damn that gets old.
I could just memorize some crap before hand...I guess I am just always optimistic that this time these people will have something new and interesting to ask.

I run over the website a few times. I don't have practice questions, I don't run scenarios in my head, and I generally try not to think too much about it. Just walk in with your head up and be as comfortable as humanly possible. I do -not- consider myself an outgoing or suave person by any stretch...pretty much the exact opposite, but somehow I manage to do well in interviews.

Now if the rest of my life went so smoothly I'd be set...
I don't prepare or practice. I generally think interviews are hit or miss and the odds can either be in your favor or not, like gambling. You could do everything right during the interview but still not get the job. Stressing myself out never works. Stumper questions are ridiculous anyway. I never worry if I make them sound good or not.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
It's odd but some of the interviews I come out thinking, "Wow, I did horrible," are the jobs I get. Sometimes I'll think I did outstanding and never hear back from an employer. I think that's why I tend not to think too much before going in for an interview.

I also try to write a thank you letter for the interview afterwards but sometimes that is difficult if they are going to make a decision in the next day or two.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:04 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post

Also how do people respond when they ask what questions you have when they've been completely thorough with the description of the job, pay, hours, etc.? I tend to ask about the work environment as that is important.
Interviewers love talking about themselves and their careers. If you ask them a few open ended questions, they'll talk forever.

How about why did you choose this company over its competitors? If you could go back in time, what advice would you give yourself when you first started working here? Brown noser-> What characterics have made you successful? Why did you chose this field? Are you happy here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search