Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 AM

25 posts, read 62,189 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some tips on how to ace a job interview. I haven't been on one is 9 yrs. I had a telephone interview last week now they would like for me to come in for a face to face one. Any advice would be great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
The fact they called you should boost your confidence. I can't get a damn interview for the lowest level 'administrative' job, even part time ones despite education and experience!

Be yourself, be calm, and don't kiss ass. I also suggest having real replies, not stock 'textbook' interview ones. If the job seems like a bad feel--go with your intuition.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:10 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Gypsy, that is really suffering! What are your MS and BS degrees in?

Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 PM

233 posts, read 720,513 times
Default Interview

I know this sounds crazy, but go in with the attitude that they have to sell YOU on the job they are offering.

I went through three interviews with the company I am with now. Each time, I really didn't care if they offered me the job or not. I told them what I wanted and if they couldn't offer that, just tell me - I was also considering another position. I told them that if they didn't offer $XXX, don't even call me again.

Somehow, they offered me the job for more than what I had asked for.

Be confident!!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Thanks thats good advice.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 PM

275 posts, read 469,602 times
know why you want to do the job. ive been on some interviews and they ask "how did you know you want to do X or why do you want to do x". in my head, i also always have some examples i can give if they ask 'what are your greatest weaknessses, describe a time in which you were in a difficult work situation and what did you do, ect" and be confident, good luck!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 PM

Thanks the examples would be great

Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
1. Be honest. Sometimes, interviewers will ask similar questions in different ways and everyone who interviewed you will generally share notes on each interviewee, so if your answers don't match, then they will question whether your telling the truth or not. I've also been in a interview where I didn't know answers to a lot of questions and I kept answering "no" - I wound up getting the job. Afterwards, I asked my the manager about my interview, and he said he purposedly asks people questions they don't know the answer to, to see if we are honest. He said you will be surprised at how many people will talk around the question or make answers up, and that is someone he doesn't want on his team.

2. Do a little research on the company and the position your interviewing for. You dont have to memorize their website, but just enough to show you actually know what the company does and what your role requires.

3. Try to have a few questions about the job/company. If you have well thought out questions, it lets them know that you've actually put some thought into the role and that your not just there "for a job", even if that is the case.

4. Dress nicely. I'm in the corporate world, but I always feel you should dress well for interviews, even if it is a casual environment. You can always dress casual after you get the job. I would much rather be remembered as the guy who dressed professional when I didn't need to, then the guy who did not look professional when he needed to.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Great advice thanks. Its been so long since I have been on a job interview.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I too think confidence counts most. Most employers today play the game. I dont. When I interview I dont even call it an interview when I ask some one to come in. I put little to no weight on all that fancy education crap. If one comes in bragging or even the mere mention of algebra I point to the door. What a waste of education time that is.

I feel street smarts is as important as the position. I have talked with far to many people who brag about straight As and 4.0 averages yet they can not even explain a can opener.

I want to see that you are a dedicated professional rather then looking for a job. After the initial jitters wear off, can you do your job without constantly coming in to ask what's next?

Be confident. Dont begin your cover letter with: "I am applying for blank position". I would rather see: " Good afternoon: I want the blank job with Joe Smoe company". Use the company name always. "I want the Teller position at ABC Bank". Try not to use the word job. By saying "I want" you have already topped the 5000 applications they received saying "I am applying for".

If you get that far, just be you. As idiotic as most companies are today, they still have a little human in them. They will expect you to be nervous so dont be frightened if you stutter a few words or shake in your pants some. They will keep a straight face till they get home and while telling family the story they will laugh till they puke.

In this economic depression there are about 20,000 applicants for every position. Why should they choose you? Keep those words in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search