Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

I think If you live in a major city like LA, Boston, Philly, NYC, or Chicago, go to craiglist because I have gotten 2 interviews in just 7 days from replying to jobs on Craiglist and ZERO call backs from CareerBuilder. Why? because careerbuilder is on commercials all the time and is too well known and craiglist is not on TV so a lot of people don't know about it. I highly recommend going to craiglist if you live in a big city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
You should be careful with craigslist since some of them job postings are scams, but I see that most of the jobs there are small companies who don't have much of a recruiting budget. I see a lot of jobs for small offices, real estate, sales, restaurant/retail - that sort of thing.

Careerbuilder is more commercialized, but it is also more well known and used by major companies.

So if your looking for any job or a job in a small office, then you probably are better off with craigslist - but I would probably stick to Careerbuilder if your looking for a career position or possible entry-level into a career role.

I have used careerbuilder and gotten many calls from recruiters before, and some employers directly too. Perhaps you need to update your resume and make yourself more marketable if you've never had any luck with careerbuilder.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
You should be careful with craigslist since some of them job postings are scams, but I see that most of the jobs there are small companies who don't have much of a recruiting budget. I see a lot of jobs for small offices, real estate, sales, restaurant/retail - that sort of thing.

Careerbuilder is more commercialized, but it is also more well known and used by major companies.

So if your looking for any job or a job in a small office, then you probably are better off with craigslist - but I would probably stick to Careerbuilder if your looking for a career position or possible entry-level into a career role.

I have used careerbuilder and gotten many calls from recruiters before, and some employers directly too. Perhaps you need to update your resume and make yourself more marketable if you've never had any luck with careerbuilder.
I plan to still use CB, it's just not my number 1 option to find a job, more like number 4

Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post

I plan to still use CB, it's just not my number 1 option to find a job, more like number 4. CL ads are cool because it's more of a "catch me if you can" type of ad where you have to be on top of your search game. CB ads stay posted for 30 days.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
emh

298 posts, read 851,678 times
I tend to prefer craigslist mainly because they have a few more jobs that fit into my skill set. In fact, I have yet to apply for any jobs off of careerbuilder....I just can't find anything that I'm qualified for (despite having 2 masters).

Old 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
I tend to prefer craigslist mainly because they have a few more jobs that fit into my skill set. In fact, I have yet to apply for any jobs off of careerbuilder....I just can't find anything that I'm qualified for (despite having 2 masters).

i agree, it seems like the jobs i see on craiglist are the ones I have tons of experience in but on CB all I see is jobs like Executive Director and Program Manager.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM

10 posts, read 23,981 times
It seems like Craig's List might require some more effort on the job seeker's part than Careerbuilder as well.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangram View Post
It seems like Craig's List might require some more effort on the job seeker's part than Careerbuilder as well.
why is that?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:14 PM

10 posts, read 23,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
why is that?

With Careerbuilder you already have your resume posted automatically and links to the company's website readily available.

With Craigslist you have to submit your resume and look up the company manually. Not major work, but work nonetheless.

I also suspect a company using Careerbuilder has an automated process vs. Craigslist which is a true classified.

So I think Craigslist is a better job opportunity than CB.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
If your in a major city Craigslist has started charging for ads. This keeps the spammer scammers away so most all jobs are legit. Smaller cities where the ads are still free perhaps 80% of all job postings are all email phishing ads.

Hey just an hour ago on my local news, a thug posted a fake car ad to intice some unsuspecting car buyer to his home. When the car buyer knocked on his door, the scammer shot and robbed him. Yes they caught the street thug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search