Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 AM

496 posts, read 941,138 times

Advertisements

That dialogue was hillarious, sinsativ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I put on the news for exactly 5 minutes and saw today's unemployment figure compared to last year...nice way to wake up..

Whatever...! We have to march on, right?

Don't pay the news any attention it's what they do, Overblow stuff. I used to look at CNN News every morning in March and laugh at how they were exagerating things to keep eyes glued to the tube. So ignore the news people

Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 PM

103 posts, read 224,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
1.find local jobsites geared toward your local area

2.Only apply to jobs you are good fit for

3.When there is no job to apply to read up on ways of becoming better at job interviews or anything else job related

4.Jokingly bring up to other people that you are not working so they will be more willing to help you

5.Try Cold Emailing instead of Cold Calling Employers

6.Put in 40-45 hours of job search activity each week

7.If you are not getting calls backs after 3-4 weeks of applying, tweak your resume

8.Don't go to Careerbuilder, Hotjobs, or Monster as your primary choice for job openings

9.Attach a brief Cover letter with every job you apply to which is two paragraphs.

10.Don't let the Local or National News scare you about how tough the economy is and how unemployment is rising because they are in the business to report news. There are jobs out there you just have to find out where they are.

You make a lot of good points. My problem is that I live in the middle of no where. Getting a job around here is almost impossible in my field. The closest place I can even try (for the most part) is Pittsburgh (3 hours away). I have a bachelors of science in electrical engineering and an associates degree in electrical engineering technology. I graduated this past December and still am having a terrible time of getting an entry level job.

For the most part everyone wants that person with 5+ years experience and no one wants someone that has only internships.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:13 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmee1409 View Post
You make a lot of good points. My problem is that I live in the middle of no where. Getting a job around here is almost impossible in my field. The closest place I can even try (for the most part) is Pittsburgh (3 hours away). I have a bachelors of science in electrical engineering and an associates degree in electrical engineering technology. I graduated this past December and still am having a terrible time of getting an entry level job.

For the most part everyone wants that person with 5+ years experience and no one wants someone that has only internships.
I don't want to make any assumptions but why not just move? If you JUST graduated I am assuming you aren't tied down (wife, kids, lease/mortgage). If not then..........

Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmee1409 View Post

Well since you just graduated just focus on getting any job to bring in a cash flow and then come up with a plan for how to get a job in your field. Whether involves moving or researching that kind of work in your local area.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I also live in 'no where.' We moved here 2 years ago and the school is very good for my son. My husband likes it here. I keep begging him to move to a city so I can get a job but he says no, it would not be good for our son.

I agree but meanwhile I can't find anything (apart from volunteering...positions I made myself). There used to be jobs but they all dried up in the recession and NO ONE is hiring for what I can do.

So, I sit here stewing and getting angry. I feel like I am wasting my life away.

Hidden job market, networking, all of the b.s. I have done it...after 2 years I am so fed up...

Anyone who can suggest "how else" to find a job that is a NORMAL job (8-4, 9-5 weekdays) please chime in. Due to childcare needs I cannot work weekends or nights. (more importantly nights, I could probably swing weekends). So retail is out...(not that they'd hire me, but...)

Any more suggestions? This is the cheapest place (as in you can't make any money) I have ever lived...I was able to get 'crap' jobs in NY and PA when I had to but here...nope...

Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
How about Virtual Assistant work? You can do it from home during the day.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Depends on how you look at the unemployment figures. Personally I consider it to be an economy in transition. We are getting rid of the old inefficient companies (*cough* GM, Chrysler *cough*) and hopefully replacing them with more efficient companies that can compete on a global scale.
And what companies or types of companies do you think will be replacing them? Do you really think anything will replace them? They were on a huge scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Inefficient jobs are being lost and new more efficient jobs are being created.
Efficient jobs created that Americans can do or just more jobs created to be offshored to cheaper cost of living/cheap labor countries so the CEOs can keep living like rock stars? That makes a big difference (naturally).

Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I keep begging him to move to a city so I can get a job but he says no, it would not be good for our son.

Any more suggestions? This is the cheapest place (as in you can't make any money) I have ever lived...I was able to get 'crap' jobs in NY and PA when I had to but here...nope...
What city/cities do you think would be better to move to? As for "cheapest," I only hope the cost of living is cheaper there too if there are no jobs (not even crap ones).

Hopefully you can get the teacher thing going ...

Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
i think you like me too-lol
hmmmm ... delusions of grandeur?

I bet STT would make a very cute cougar though ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search