Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 PM

83 posts, read 177,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
People are so desperate for a job now days and I can understand why. They have bills to pay and a family to support. But so many applicants are so desperate for a job that they come across as embarrassing. They promise the moon and the stars (and say to work 14 hours a day) "Just give me a job any job please, please please!!

Do you think from an applicants perspective that begging for a job is an effective approach? If you were a hiring manager how do you respond to the applicant who is begging, pleading and crying?
oh, i dunno.. how about giving them a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
Default I do not hire anyone, just recruit and screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zherdev View Post
oh, i dunno.. how about giving them a chance?
Again, I am not in the position to hire anyone but as the Human Resources Recruiter many people feel like that I have more clout and beg me for a job because I am their point of contact.

Most managers at my company feel that the best applicants are not desperate but have options to work at many employers. Much like the attractive men and women who are sought over for dates play it a little hard to get.

People are concerned about candidates who do not get notice at other employers. Managers assume that if someone else does not want them and they have to beg us for a job then something is wrong with them.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
People are concerned about candidates who do not get notice at other employers. Managers assume that if someone else does not want them and they have to beg us for a job then something is wrong with them.
Sounds like where you work is the "last resort" anyone would apply to after being rejected by everyone else.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:12 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:

Managers assume that if someone else does not want them and they have to beg us for a job then something is wrong with them.
*shakes head in wonderment* Managers should stick their heads out into the real world once in a while and then they might understand why people (other than our own beloved TVSG) do not have multiple offers on the table.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
Default We are a prestige employer

Where I work we are a prestige employer and thousands of people want to work here. There is no reason to accept anyone other than the best and brightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
*shakes head in wonderment* Managers should stick their heads out into the real world once in a while and then they might understand why people (other than our own beloved TVSG) do not have multiple offers on the table.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Where I work we are a prestige employer and thousands of people want to work here. There is no reason to accept anyone other than the best and brightest.
Doesn't sound like it:

Managers assume that if someone else does not want them and they have to beg us for a job then something is wrong with them.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:38 PM

83 posts, read 177,278 times
Quote:
Good for you. Now get the **** out..

Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
I guess so if you get to spend all day every day posting on CD......

Old 05-28-2009, 03:52 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Thank you finally someone who thinks with a brain instead of a hat rack . I agree with you totally .

Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
hire them! If they have to swallow their pride and need a job that bad, maybe they will work really hard and be grateful! Plus that would make you feel so good to help someone who really needs it. HIRE THEM!! COMPASSION IS THE WORD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search