Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 08:58 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,253 times

Advertisements

Is it worth paying a resume writing service to do a resume or am I just better or doing it myself? Anyone ever use one and if so which one? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
Is it worth paying a resume writing service to do a resume or am I just better or doing it myself? Anyone ever use one and if so which one? Thanks!
Why pay money for this service? There are so many resumes online. Have a look at them in order to get some ideas. Paying a "resume expert" is a waste of money.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 AM

522 posts, read 2,627,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Why pay money for this service? There are so many resumes online. Have a look at them in order to get some ideas. Paying a "resume expert" is a waste of money.
If you haven't used one then how do you know its a waste of money?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
No, do your own resume and get ideas on how to state what you did at your previous jobs from research.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:06 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
If you haven't used one then how do you know its a waste of money?
Its a waste of money because there are free samples online.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,606 times
Create your resume like that you will get job in first attempt max in two...There are many sites from which you can take help....

Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
No it is not worth paying a service to do one. Use the 'net for help to write your own and also you will need to tweek your resume for each job you apply to. You will need to match the "key words" in the job specifications before you submit your resume. Most if not all HR depts. have programs that do word searches on submitted resumes and if those key words aren't there, even though you might be qualified the resume goes into the "cylinder file".

Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
To be honest, when I get resumes that were written by a service I completely disregard them. I don't even skim them. They are usually too verbose, full of ridiculous catch-phrases that mean nothing, and seem to over stretch a candidates actual experience. The formatting on them is cramped. They all look the same, and seriously, you could crete your own BS BINGO game from them, they all read almost identically. I think that the services have a computerized program that they feed a little info into and it spits out this resume.

Don't waste your time, I can't be the only person involved in recruiting that feels this way about the resumes created by a service.

Bottom line, my take on it is that if the applicant isn't able to compose their own resume, then they are either lazy or incapable of writing anything that makes sense.

I'd suggest looking at samples online and creating your own, and then asking a friend to look it over and give your some feedback.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:26 PM

37 posts, read 76,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Bottom line, my take on it is that if the applicant isn't able to compose their own resume, then they are either lazy or incapable of writing anything that makes sense.
I don't think that's entirely fair. I used a resume writing service, loved the results, and have been more successful because of it. The issue isn't that I'm lazy or incapable of writing, it's that I'm not an expert on writing resumes.

That said, I think you make an excellent point about the nature of resumes that are churned out by services, especially in terms of the BS "business speak" they use. Honestly, I would have been downright embarrassed to send out the first version of what they gave me for that very reason. But after editing it I wound up with something that was a lot better than anything I could have done on my own.

I guess that's my two cents on it - they can help, especially if you're where I was and get feel like you can't quite get everything to click, but having someone else write it and then sending it out without editing it or personalizing it to your situation (and the job you're looking for) would be a mistake.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM

274 posts, read 998,505 times
i'd suggest you create your own resume, as many have said on here.

if you check out around your local area (including libraries and state employment service branches), there might be some free resume critiques or workshops that you can attend. i know here in michigan, there are many of those services that are available to the public free of charge. personally, i'd do some research online to see sample templates and mold it to the job that you want to apply for... either a chronological or functional resume format, depending on your experience level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search