Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Sure they do, honey, but these are GOOD jobs in rural area. By that I mean everyone and her sister is applying for them because they usually imply cleaner environments, better pay, better and steady hours. So you have fierce competition for ANYTHING that is remotely white collar. All the moms want 'steady job hours.' All the graduates want a leg up. So you have tons of people applying for them when and if something like this pops up.

I lived near a big city and let me tell you, life in Green Acres is very different. In Philly you probably have half a page of CS or Office Assistant jobs every Sunday. Here we'd have one or two a week. The ad would run for 2-3 weeks before they even got around to deciding...(that's if "Mayor Moe's" grand-daughter didn't get the job first..)

At this point, after not working almost a year, if I have to go do a 'crappy fast food job' or lose my car or apartment or see my kid hungry what do you think I will choose?

I hear what you are saying but I would still have to tell myself over and over if I lived in a rural area-"I'm not fast food material"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
TV guy, you have never lived in a rural area. Some people do these jobs because they HAVE to...it's all that they have around. What about moms who want a part time job? Or a second job for a person trying to pay off bills.

Don't be such a snob.
No doubt. A friend of ming is a shift lead at McDonalds. She has a PhD in anthropology. She lives in a rural area, because that's where her husband's business is. There is no work for an anthropologist in that area, and the closest unversity what an anthropology department is well over two hours away. They live in a terrific small town with great schools and she wants to put her kids on the bus in the morning and be there when they get home.

Her shift at McDonalds is M-F 10:00 to 2:30 which is perfect. She doesn't need benefits, and makes $14.50 an hour for working the hours she wants to work. She actually LIKES working there, and doesn't think the job is beneath her.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I hear what you are saying but I would still have to tell myself over and over if I lived in a rural area-"I'm not fast food material"
But eating Fruit Loops is OK.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:32 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times
Gypsy, you are so right. I have lived in rural, urban and suburban areas. And Traveler 36 (Miami), the situation is the same in Atlanta. You cannot do walk ins in Atlanta (at least for the type of jobs most of us seem to be hunting).

Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Gypsy, you are so right. I have lived in rural, urban and suburban areas. And Traveler 36 (Miami), the situation is the same in Atlanta. You cannot do walk ins in Atlanta (at least for the type of jobs most of us seem to be hunting).

Nobody should be doing walk ins anyway. You have to market yourself in a way for someone to find you not walking in a door saying-"I need a job"

Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Nobody should be doing walk ins anyway. You have to market yourself in a way for someone to find you not walking in a door saying-"I need a job"
Tell that to the guy that started with the company I work for on Monday. He'll laugh in your face, because he was a walk-in and was hired. Of course he'd probably laugh in your face for any number of other reasons as well.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:08 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Tell that to the guy that started with the company I work for on Monday. He'll laugh in your face, because he was a walk-in and was hired. Of course he'd probably laugh in your face for any number of other reasons as well.
I would want no part of a company who hired walkins

Old 07-15-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
If you were in the line of work that some of our employees are (skilled blue collar) you wou'dn't have a choice.

You make a lot of generallizations based on your experience. What about your clients? Do you tell them to never walk in and apply for a job? I highly doubt they are all seeking e-band jobs with corner offices.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:33 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Walking in and applying is alive and well at many places. I have heard it's more common in rural places to walk in and get hired. I have not tried it myself here. When I was at my last job people walked in all the time (it was in the hospitality field). They were always desperate for summer servers, waiters, whatever...

Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 AM

317 posts, read 819,278 times
Quote:
It's all about circumstance these days. Since paper is becoming something an office cuts back on online applications have been creeping its way into the normal way to hire. I think it's a mixture of everything ranging from knowing a friend or family member that gets you in the door, to getting an interview from an online application and in some rare cases a walk in. I'm getting into the financial sector after I finish my MBA and I don't think you can go into JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs (not that I would want to work for any of the two) and say "Hey can I get an application for a job" it's most likely not going to get you anywhere and make you look desperate a little. Certain places like retail, and depending on where you are you can walk in. I know here in Miami half the jobs on south beach are from people walking in and filling out applications and getting hired. We are indeed in a confusing time when it comes to knowing how to get your foot in the door. I'm 27 and my father probably never had to face what I am when it comes to the job market and how to get noticed.

-And in reference to the job at McDonalds, a job is a job and a paycheck is a paycheck. If you make $30,000 a year at McDonalds and save and use your money wisely you can live without a problem. Some people aren't about living their life just to be a millionaire, some people want to get their check enjoy their life and retire with some savings. To each his own. Me personally I don't mind being a rich person that's miserable and consumed by their job.(I will do it with a smile lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search