Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

You should definately apply! Think about the skills that you have that apply to the job and highlight them. I have gotten jobs that I had no paid experience for, yet had beaucoup experience doing the work of the job. Even got one where the position description was changed to make a degree "desired" rather than "required" so that they could hire me.

Look at the skills required in the position description and then consider your experience (paid, unpaid, volunteer) that shows that you have mastered those skills and tweak your resume to highlight those strengths.

And remember, many things can be learned, but enthusiasm can't be. Attitude DOES determine altitude! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 PM

173 posts, read 968,174 times
With all the unemployed people across the US and the world, I am sure employers can find the dream or very best candidate.

"Past performance is not an indication of future performance." What has happened in the past may no longer be applicable in the present, considering today's economy.

I mean how many, in the past, have gotten jobs with resumes that read like job descriptions. We joke at a networking group, how we ever got jobs with the resumes we had years ago.

I would only apply if the position is not a black hole one.
Or apply if it does not phase you if the company ever replies back.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
If qualification were a requirement, where would the government be

Old 07-15-2009, 12:10 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
If it's an on-line application or resume submission, you may as well apply, since a computer will grade you. It doesn't take much of your time to apply and only a few nanoseconds for the computer to reject you (or not, in which case the requirement is merely a want on their part).

Old 07-15-2009, 04:27 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Yes, apply if you fall just a little short of the requirements. Employers are looking for the best overall fit, and if a person has the education, personality and interest, but not the experience, you will most likely still be a viable candidate.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 PM

228 posts, read 802,787 times
I'm applying to alot of jobs now, and I see requirements that i know are pretty impossible to meet. For example, I just applied to a job where they wanted someone who programs, who does statistical analysis, has only a B.S., and does alot of genomics work. Pretty sure there aren't many people like that. The most likely candidate is a guy with a PhD who did some genomics work in grad school involving stats and programming.

After reading so many job ads, i am guessing they are written by HR who have no clue what the market is like. If you can see yourself doing that as a career, just apply. However I am also betting that 99% of the resumes from job sites are thrown in the trash or never read; the key is an alternative route via networking.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 PM

256 posts, read 894,621 times
Might as well apply. What's the worst that can happen? I don't believe they'd call you in for an interview unless they believed your resume met their requirements. Just don't lie and say you do have ___ number of years of experience when you don't.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Every teaching job I have inquired about wants at least two to three years of experience. If you don't have experience how does not get experience?

Old 07-17-2009, 04:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Every teaching job I have inquired about wants at least two to three years of experience. If you don't have experience how does not get experience?
Teach at Christian schools making $15K a year or sub.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
What about when they say 2-3 years experience and you have more like 20-30 years experience? That's just an age filter.

For jobs like that, I try to downplay my "extra" years experience, say something like "meet or exceed all requirements" then just emphasize the last 2-3 years, sometimes the format doesn't allow this creativity, but sometimes you can.

Those job descriptions are written by idiots, anyways! They require experience it would take 20+ years to accumulate, then ask 2-3 years, obviously they mean no oldies apply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search