Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 75,098 times

Advertisements

i am planning to collect about 4-6 weeks of regular unemployment insurance in nys.

what are my chances of getting audited by nys dol to review my job search record?

i haven't been recording them in their worksheet and don't want to waste my time if there's no chance of having to show it to them
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Your chances are small, especially if you are only planning to collect for a short time. (Although how can you "plan" that? Many people are unemployed a lot longer than they think they will be these days.)

However, if you are audited, you should be able to take credit for your job search or they will punish you, so why not keep track?

If you don't like writing things down, do what I did. I made an Excel spreadsheet that had the same column layout as UI's form and typed in there. It was a lot easier that handwriting things.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:03 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Your chances are small, especially if you are only planning to collect for a short time. (Although how can you "plan" that? Many people are unemployed a lot longer than they think they will be these days.)

However, if you are audited, you should be able to take credit for your job search or they will punish you, so why not keep track?

If you don't like writing things down, do what I did. I made an Excel spreadsheet that had the same column layout as UI's form and typed in there. It was a lot easier that handwriting things.
Good point. Most states will take away your unemployment if you don't have things written down.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Good point. Most states will take away your unemployment if you don't have things written down.
And - some will try to make you pay back what you have received if you can't produce records.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,272 times
OP, if you use the same email address for employment apps, you should create a folder in your email just for jobs and move all corresponding job application confirmations to that folder. If in the event you were to be audited, you can quickly reference back to that folder and write down all the places you have applied.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Will they check on actual applications, ie for follow up?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 39,412 times
I received partial unemployment benefits for 13 months while working part-time as a cashier and never got audited. I kept a spreadsheet of my job applications just to be safe.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerlebrity View Post
I received partial unemployment benefits for 13 months while working part-time as a cashier and never got audited. I kept a spreadsheet of my job applications just to be safe.
This is smart. Even if your chances of being audited are slim to none, why not keep the records? CYA.

I understand this is some kind of temporary situation probably because you have a period of time between jobs. Just keep the records to be safe. It's easy to apply for jobs you know you won't get and you will already be working elsewhere by the time something you applied for might want to interview you. Protect yourself.

There's a reason why I am adamant about this. A RL friend of mine collected UE and was audited. He was looking for work but kept no records. He was too lazy and thought the audit would never happen to him. He was honest and said he had no records. To make a long story short, he now has to pay back all of his UE to avoid being prosecuted for fraud. And all he has now is a lousy part time retail job that doesn't pay worth beans. He is in a world of hurt. It would have been much easier to just keep the spreadsheet.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM

229 posts, read 573,800 times
And - keep those records/spreadsheets on a USB! I lost my whole file when my computer crashed and now have no records. Thankfully we have to report each week (in MN) when we apply for that week's unemployment so they have a record but I went and bought a USB today just for unemployment reasons to make sure it won't happen again. I was able to buy a cheap used computer, which is all I can afford right now, but sure would have been nice to have thought of this happening earlier.

A WHOLE bunch of work/records was lost.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
And - keep those records/spreadsheets on a USB! I lost my whole file when my computer crashed and now have no records. Thankfully we have to report each week (in MN) when we apply for that week's unemployment so they have a record but I went and bought a USB today just for unemployment reasons to make sure it won't happen again. I was able to buy a cheap used computer, which is all I can afford right now, but sure would have been nice to have thought of this happening earlier.

A WHOLE bunch of work/records was lost.
Yea that happened to me too and it sucks big time for sure.

To the OP, I am collecting regular UI in New York for 5 months and I've been audited twice (last audit was this past Thursday). However since you're only collecting UI for such a short period of time, then your chances of getting audited are extremely low. You would have to collect regular UI for at least 3 months in order to get audited. The only thing that may happen to you since it looks like you'll be collecting for at least is a month is that the Dept. of Labor may require you to attend a Workforce1 orientation session. Hope that answers your ques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search