Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
You are brainwashed from corporate america...they feel as though they aren't to be held accountable. That is the problem. They made promises that they are not keeping...it is happening from every direction.

The thing is, people just ACCEPT the fact that they aren't held accountable and never pursue it. Kudos to this girl for doing what so many don't have the guts to do!
Kudos to her? Are you serious? The problem is she expected the college to find a job for her! She was never promised a thing, and I hope the judge laughs at her and throws the case out. Instead of spending the effort suing the college she should have put the effort into studying so she turned out to be more than a mediocre student at an average college. She doesn't deserve a dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Nope, not end of story...

there are very few IT jobs. The majority of them are offshored to other countries, that is a problem. A HUGE problem in this country. But you obviously do not comprehend that and really is another topic within itself. But there are those who are of the previous generation that can't get work because of today's point and click society and the diploma mill mindset. It doesn't work.

The ironic thing is, you are more than proving my point with every post of yours as to your better than others attitude along with superiority complex. That's ok really because people such as yourself eventually get knocked off of the pedestal you place yourself upon.

You don't have a point here, you have no ground to stand on.
Send me a PM if you want to know the truth about IT. I currently work in that field, and I guarentee this is incorrect. There are a lot of open jobs, and a lot of demand for IT in the USA right now. Sorry, but your post is simply incorrect.

And I will say it again, COLLEGE IS NOT AN EMPLOYMENT AGENCY. Stop thinking like that. It is not a school's responsibility to find you a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Waaaaa, call a waaaaambulance,
Is this really the most mature way to get your point across? The student was promised something that the college did not provide her. Let her sue and let the court decide if her claim is valid. When you pay for a service you want what you paid for and were promised.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And I will say it again, COLLEGE IS NOT AN EMPLOYMENT AGENCY. Stop thinking like that. It is not a school's responsibility to find you a job.
Then the government should stop extending loans and financial aid to borrowers that have no chance of paying the money back. The US government pushes college on every child whether qualified or not but wants to wash its hands when they can not make their loan payments.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Then the government should stop extending loans and financial aid to borrowers that have no chance of paying the money back. The US government pushes college on every child whether qualified or not but wants to wash its hands when they can not make their loan payments.
They don't push loans. The loans are there if they are needed. Nobody is forced to take a loan. And the repayment terms are stupidly reasonable, including forebearence.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I looked at the college's web site a little, and am going to call BS on some of the info in the article. The article said she has $70k in student loans, however the current cost per semester is $5472 for a full time student. We know she lived at home (said so in the article). $5472 per semester for eight semesters (typical for full time) is a little over $40k in loans. Where did the $70k number come from? How can we take this woman seriously if she took out $30k in loans more than she needed?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
Quote:
The student was promised something that the college did not provide her.
What was that? In the CNN article, it says she's upset because career services isn't giving her the same attention as the students with 4.0 GPA (not no attention), they aren't personally lobbying employers on her behalf (what colleges do this, particularly for 2.7 GPA students?), and career services aren't encouraging employers to interview recently graduated students without jobs. All I know if my career services allowed the graduated students on the on campus interview schedule, there would be a revolt by the seniors.

It looks like she used the electronic system to send her resume/application to a bunch of employers and only got two hits, which didn't lead to an offer.

Continued job assistance basically means you get access to the systems that show job postings, you can attend workshops, you get access the career services library, and you can consult with staff if they have time after seeing to the needs of the current students.

It doesn't mean they will lobby or cold call employers on your behalf or give you individualized treatment at the expense of current students.

Usually career services personnel will tell all students that they shouldn't depend on career services to find leads on jobs, as only a small fraction of available jobs go through their office. They are supposed to teach you the skills necessary to find a job on your own (i.e. resume skills, interviewing skills, networking, etc.). Unfortunately, the hard reality is that the employers that recruit on campus, generally are more selective in nature and prefer the better students.

The employers that don't really care about GPA rarely recruit at schools and you have to find them out.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I looked at the college's web site a little, and am going to call BS on some of the info in the article. The article said she has $70k in student loans, however the current cost per semester is $5472 for a full time student. We know she lived at home (said so in the article). $5472 per semester for eight semesters (typical for full time) is a little over $40k in loans. Where did the $70k number come from? How can we take this woman seriously if she took out $30k in loans more than she needed?
She got her AA from a community college. So she only had to pay four semesters at that college, and that's if she got absolutely no financial aid--if her mother is a single mother, the FAFSA should have given her some aid. So my math adds up to $21,888--at the most.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They don't push loans. The loans are there if they are needed. Nobody is forced to take a loan. And the repayment terms are stupidly reasonable, including forebearence.
The government and public schools push college as the only way to make it in American society. That is a fact and the stump speech of many of our Presidents throughout the years. However I see many trade school graduates making much more than college graduates.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:55 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Kudos to her? Are you serious? The problem is she expected the college to find a job for her! She was never promised a thing, and I hope the judge laughs at her and throws the case out. Instead of spending the effort suing the college she should have put the effort into studying so she turned out to be more than a mediocre student at an average college. She doesn't deserve a dime.

Send me a PM if you want to know the truth about IT. I currently work in that field, and I guarentee this is incorrect. There are a lot of open jobs, and a lot of demand for IT in the USA right now. Sorry, but your post is simply incorrect.

I don't need to send you a DM to learn about IT. My DH is in IT and has been for many years. So, I know the truth, I know how it works.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
The government and public schools push college as the only way to make it in American society. That is a fact and the stump speech of many of our Presidents throughout the years. However I see many trade school graduates making much more than college graduates.
I disagree. I know a lot of my friends children in public schools are being steered towards careers that don't require college, including law enforcement and various trade schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search