Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

I have worked 6 different places in my career ( now retired) and never gave any advance notice when I left.

The last place I worked before retiring ( good job) the company always said---------" we are non-union. We can fire people at any time for any reason"

I left there and retired with no notice whatsoever.
They called a week later and we set a date for my exit interview which took care of the matter of my 401k and my last paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Every time I look for a job I stress over this scenario. What happens if I am offered a job and I take it, then a week or two later I get a better offer (since I'm sending my resume all over the place?) I'm sure employers realize this could happen. But I don't want to say I'm waiting to hear back from another company, cause then neither one might hire me. I can't afford to not take a job if it's offered, cause 100+ people apply for it.

I received a job offer and was all set to go to the job then got another offer from a job that paid more and much closer in distance. So I never started the job who gave me the first offer. It's all about doing what's best for you

Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
yes i do. the good part about current job market, no mercy is show and none should be expected.
(lil bit like dating isnt it)

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I am kind of in the same boat. What is you take the first job that is offered and the job that you were hoping for DOES give you an offer. Do you quit that new job to take the one that you really want?
Yup, that's what I did. Why Not?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:14 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
That's what I was considering - negotiating the start date. I am very glad to hear of experiences where this has happened, especially by danameless. These employers might not be happy about it, but they should realize the circumstances we are in with this economy. Giving you a week to accept a job - what a dream! That won't happen for me!

Marmac what balls!! Yes it pisses me off how companies are not required to give any notice and can terminate for ANY reason. There is no loyalty anymore. Most people give notice because they don't want to burn bridges. I'm glad it worked for you.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Quote:
That's what I was considering - negotiating the start date. I am very glad to hear of experiences where this has happened, especially by danameless. These employers might not be happy about it, but they should realize the circumstances we are in with this economy. Giving you a week to accept a job - what a dream! That won't happen for me!

Marmac what balls!! Yes it pisses me off how companies are not required to give any notice and can terminate for ANY reason. There is no loyalty anymore. Most people give notice because they don't want to burn bridges. I'm glad it worked for you.
I agree. Many years ago, before my time, I would hear about how good some companies would take care of their people. But today, it is all about the bottom line and loyaty does not exist anymore. Employers expect so much from you, but in return they can lay you off for no reason. I remember the start of my career, my group laid off some people. One lady was a year or so from retirement, and she offered to take the package and leave early so they didn't have to lay anyone else off. Instead, they kept her and laid someone else off who needed the job. It's decisions like this why we have to make the choices that are right for us, for our family, and for our careers.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:19 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yup, that's what I did. Why Not?
And as I recall, you didn't let that employer know that you just weren't going to show up on your start date, just fobbed them off and went for the new job.

You are allegedly a student employment counselor. Great example of how to get ahead in business. I pity the "students" who take advice from you.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Every time I look for a job I stress over this scenario. What happens if I am offered a job and I take it, then a week or two later I get a better offer (since I'm sending my resume all over the place?) I'm sure employers realize this could happen. But I don't want to say I'm waiting to hear back from another company, cause then neither one might hire me. I can't afford to not take a job if it's offered, cause 100+ people apply for it.
Been there...twice. First time, it was between a job that involved relocation and one that didn't. I preferred the second but the interview process started late. I was hoping that the relo job would drag even longer than it did, but it didn't. I asked the local company if I was being considered and when they would make a decision since I have a firm offer in hand (I was in the top three too). I guess that pissed them off...hubby said they probably did not want to go into a "bidding" situation with the first company. I hated the job I accepted and ended up leaving it 6 months later.

The second time was between two contract jobs I was referred to by a recruiter. I didn't like the first one since it was a shorter contract and a longer drive. The second was a longer contract and a shorter drive. Both jobs paid the same rate per hour. I had to take the first job and the recruiter could no longer present me as a candidate to their other clients since that was a conflict of interest with them with regards to their client who hired me. That job turned perm after the contract, but then again, my position is being eliminated by year end, as well as that of 29 others. In a small town, it's just as difficult to burn bridges with recruiters since they all know each other. They're even connected through LinkedIn.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I called company 2 back and told them I could not accept the offer anymore (they weren't particularly happy).
This is almost a genesis for another thread. I'm sure this happens to people all the time for the reasons you originally outlined: sending out resumes to everyone and getting multiple responses at different times.

So how long after a person accepts a job (company 2) can he back out and accept another offer (company 3)?

After accepting but before starting work?
After starting work but not utilizing any relocation assistance?
A month after starting work? Two months?

What is the worst thing that can happen to you?

Is this a common occurrence (saying yes, then changing mind)?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
As a wise friend once said, "It's not an option until they say 'yes.'"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search