Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:38 PM

212 posts, read 821,894 times

Advertisements

How do you dress for a job interview if many times the person interviewing you is dressed like a slab. Should you always go with a suit if you are a male or a skirt, dress or pants if you are female or somply go casual. It really annoys me when I wear a suit and my interviewer is wearing jeans and what happens when no one gets dressed up at your job but you have to leave early from your job wearing a suit for a job interview(suspious).

Women have it much easier in dressing for a interview as they can wear more casual clothes and it will still look fancy vs males.

Do women have a advantage using their sex apeal in getting a job vs men since they have more skin to show..

Last edited by captnemo; 07-08-2008 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:45 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Do women have a advantage using their sex apeal in getting a job vs men since they have more skin to show..
If they are applying to be a topless dancer or a waitress at Hooters, then showing skin would be quite helpful.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
I don't care, always show up in suit.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,605 times
Not if you are applying for a professional position. In a prof'l role everyone should wear a conservative suit; women should wear a skirt suit (note a blazer mix with a separate skirt doesn't count - it needs to be an actual suit...)

If you need to get changed at home or go to a public bathroom and get changed (ie Dunkin Donuts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
How do you dress for a job interview if many times the person interviewing you is dressed like a slab. Should you always go with a suit if you are a male or a skirt, dress or pants if you are female or somply go casual. It really annoys me when I wear a suit and my interviewer is wearing jeans and what happens when no one gets dressed up at your job but you have to leave early from your job wearing a suit for a job interview(suspious).

Women have it much easier in dressing for a interview as they can wear more casual clothes and it will still look fancy vs males.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
"Women have it much easier in dressing for a interview as they can wear more casual clothes and it will still look fancy vs males."

Wow, I have always considered mens's options easier! There's # 1 a suit, #2 a jacket, tie, and pants, and #3 a jacket OR a tie, but not both, and only in a very casual setting.

Women have many more options, and so the decisions become much more difficult. There's suit with skirt, suit with pants, blouse shirt pants, blouse shirt skirt, shirt skirt, shirt pants, heels, low heels, etc, etc.

I tend to think that what a person wears for an interview should be at least two steps above what the people in the setting wear day-to-day. So if the setting is business-casual, like the majority of settings these days, then wear a suit or at least the "jacket plus" option.

My setting has always been business casual, but when I interview I always dress more professionally (same if I am going to extra-agency meetings). When you represent your company to anyone outside, you go at least one step above the norm. I expect people interviewing with me to do likewise.

Only speaking for myself (as a female interviewer who believes in making a professional impression): Try to be too sexy and get taken off the short list, quick.

I'm sure that consciously or unconsciously, attractive people (M&F) get a leg up, but it has nothing to do with how "sexily" they dress unless you are in some forms of entertainment or fashion.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Your interviewer can wear a casual outfit. They already HAVE the job. For me, suits are not optional in interviews. Always go business formal, in outfit and in mannerisms.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
I usually wear a skirt suit. Well at least now. I've worn modest, professional blouses with slacks and a blazer/jacket in the past and have been hired.

Last interview I had was via a staffing agency who sent me (and oodles of others) to interview with the client, instructing us to "dress as professionally as possible and strongly pushed wearing a suit. So I wore a suit.

I was later told that out of 200 applicants sent by "my" staffing agency, I was the ONLY ONE who wore a suit. Many of the others were hired. The interviewer was wearing jeans but apologized (it was Friday/jean day).

I was actually a little annoyed... I spent about $170 on the suit out of my meager savings in order to get the job but it probably wasn't necessary because I DID have dress pants and nice blouses at home.

Oh well, at least I now have a good interview/funeral suit.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Sexy and interview do not mesh. Skin is not an option in an interview. Who would take you seriously?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 AM

650 posts, read 1,206,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Your interviewer can wear a casual outfit. They already HAVE the job.
Absolutely.

When I used to interview staff, I mentally crossed off anyone who showed up dressed casually, even though my staff could wear jeans once hired: the reason is that NOT wearing a suit to an interview displays an ignorance of, or disrespect for, basic work etiquette. That basic etiquette (showing up on time, working instead of chatting, keeping accurate timesheets) is important in a workplace--and the interview is your one shot at showing your potential employer that you can "play the game" when it comes to being a good employee.

In other words--your employer is very likely expecting you to wear a suit (or very close) to that interview. So show him/her that you're an employee who meets or exceeds expectations!

After interviews, my own supervisor and I would sit down with two or three top resumes, and choosing one over the rest was often a very close thing. Something as simple as presenting yourself well CAN tip the balance when everything else is equal.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times
I always call the receptionist and ask what kind of corporate culture they have. They love to answer questions and usually love to talk! The last two jobs I got, I came dressed exactly as the office was and they actually mentioned in the interview that I would be a great fit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search