Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 04:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those unfortunates who just got certified to teach and now the job market is drying up considerably. I'm an older job changer and work as a teaching assistant, and got certified to teach English Language Arts and special ed. The kids I work with now are high school special ed and most of the teachers I work with have said that I need to have my own classroom b/c I'm really good at what I do. I have asked at least 8 teachers to write me reference letters and all have said they'd be glad to, and 2 have done so, but no others have been forthcoming.

I'm not sure what to do next--I have sent out at least one reminder to the remaining teachers and have reminded them verbally as well--in as nice a way as possible. All have been apologetic b/c they're busy, but it's been a couple of months and we're in the middle of hiring season and I've already missed out on one opp b/c I didn't have 3 letters. The problem is that I don't know if they're not writing them b/c they don't intend to, or if it's b/c they really are forgetting, and I don't want to come off as a nag. I know that several of them have filled out questionnaires about me for our own district, but I need the letters too. Anyone know how to light a fire? My co-workers tell me I'm too nice, but it seems like it would not be beneficial to be mean about it. This is the only thing that is holding me up at this point and I'm afraid I'll miss the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 06:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
My first question is, are you only allowed to submit recommendations from teachers from your school? If not, ask other people you know--previous employers or colleagues, community organizers with whom you've worked, parents of students you've gotten to know, etc.

Beyond that, it could be any number of factors that play into any kind of recommendation request:

--are you giving them sufficient time to write the recommendation? Usually a month, minimum, two if you can. Let them know in your initial request that there is a deadline, and then end them a reminder a few weeks beforehand, asking them if they have any questions or issues.

--are you giving them 'talking points'--a recap of your accomplishments that make you suitable for the position to which you are applying, and why you are interested in that particular job. You may want to give them a copy of your resume and these talking points in writing, as a reference while they are writing the letter.

--are you giving them a chance to decline, no questions asked? there may be any number of reasons why someone may not be interested in writing a letter for you. Don't make it awkward for them by demanding an explanation from them, just thank them sincerely and let it drop if they seem hesitant. Some may simply be too busy, others may have expressed initial support for you that is stronger than they feel now.

--make sure they know all the logistics: whom to address the letter to, where to send it, give them an envelope to seal it in if necessary, etc.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Ask who ever is friendly to you that is a professional or supervisor. Keyword friendly. Don't go asking some stuff shirt.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Kodaka, reading over your post, I've seen several mistakes that I've made--I'll try to fix those in my next email to them--talking points is good--no, great.

Yes, I feel I really need these b/c I had to go the alternate route to certification, which means no student teaching and I fear that some of the teachers may be offended by that, but unwilling to say that to my face b/c we all have such a good working relationship. They all know that student teaching would have been impossible for me b/c I'm a single mother now, but all they can see is that they had to do it. And that's why I'd have no professors to write them either, and college was 20 years ago anyway, so my letters will have to come from teachers at school.

Oh yes, and Artsy, I've asked my supervisor also, and even she's not getting it done, though I fear it's because she's ditzy.

Last edited by stepka; 03-21-2010 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: to add a comment

Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Have you considered writing the letter yourself and having them sign it? I had a great working relationship with an executive and when I asked him for a reference letter, he told me to write it and he'd read it and sign it if he agreed with it. I did and he did and I have a great reference letter. At the time, I thought it really strange, but I've been getting more and more requests to do just that. Even one of my personal references had me actually write the letter b/c she just didn't know how to do it.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Have you considered writing the letter yourself and having them sign it? I had a great working relationship with an executive and when I asked him for a reference letter, he told me to write it and he'd read it and sign it if he agreed with it. I did and he did and I have a great reference letter. At the time, I thought it really strange, but I've been getting more and more requests to do just that. Even one of my personal references had me actually write the letter b/c she just didn't know how to do it.
LOL, that's a great idea. I"m certified for English so maybe they feel uncomfortable doing it for me for fear of spelling mistakes or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search