Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,258 times

Advertisements

To set things up, I had an office visit with a Big 4 accounting firm early March. I thought the whole day went
really well. For some reason, the HR recruiter I was in
contact with said that the company was being slow with
furthering it's decision process. Within the first 2
weeks, I received two emails (each a week apart) from the
HR recruiter apologizing for the inconvenience of not
hearing back.

Another 2 weeks had passed by without another email from
the HR recruiter (one complete month after the second
round interview). So I decided to email to figure out
what the deal was. I received a rejection email hours
later that read:

"Hope you had a nice weekend! Thank you for checking in
with me and thank you again for your patience with this
process.

At this time we are not able to move forward with an
offer. Should anything change, I will be in touch.

It was nice getting to know you throughout the recruiting
process. Thank you for taking the time to interview with
********"

What should I make of the middle paragraph mentioning
further correspondence if anything should change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
You should make of it that if they decide to hire you they will tell you so.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
They are saying they didn't think you were a good fit for the position but should something else come up they may consider you. Usually I would say "this is just a polite way of saying thanks but no thanks" but I was once passed over for a job only to be called two months later with a job offer for a better suited position for my skills. YOu just never know.

Just keep your head high and know you did a good job and made a connection. If you don't have a LinkedIn account you may want to consider getting one. If you had a good connection with this HR person try finding them on there and try connecting. You never know who they may know and if they liked you they could end up putting in a good word.

Hang in there.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,221 times
Yep, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it means they don't want you calling, it means "don't call us we'll call you."

Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrenton View Post
To set things up, I had an office visit with a Big 4 accounting firm early March. I thought the whole day went
really well. For some reason, the HR recruiter I was in
contact with said that the company was being slow with
furthering it's decision process. Within the first 2
weeks, I received two emails (each a week apart) from the
HR recruiter apologizing for the inconvenience of not
hearing back.

Another 2 weeks had passed by without another email from
the HR recruiter (one complete month after the second
round interview). So I decided to email to figure out
what the deal was. I received a rejection email hours
later that read:

"Hope you had a nice weekend! Thank you for checking in
with me and thank you again for your patience with this
process.

At this time we are not able to move forward with an
offer. Should anything change, I will be in touch.

It was nice getting to know you throughout the recruiting
process. Thank you for taking the time to interview with
********"

What should I make of the middle paragraph mentioning
further correspondence if anything should change?
Could be just a form letter, could be a very personal email---i.e. could mean everything and could mean nothing.

The company may have really liked you, but someone else was a better fit that they could move forward with right now. It could be that they liked you a lot, but don't think this job would be the right one for you (maybe they think you would be better in their auditing group, tax consultant, etc). It could mean that when they do have a job opening in another group or another job opening at all that they may inquire with you if you are available.

Or it could be that, they are not interested in hiring you at all and were just being nice.

I would just write back and tell them thank you, and please keep you in consideration for other opportunities at the firm.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,978 times
Quote:
I was once passed over for a job only to be called two months later with a job offer for a better suited position for my skills. You just never know.
Same thing happened to my wife. Well, she never got the "we are not interested." She just got dodged for months, gave up on that position and moved on. Before she landed another offer, they called her up with a job. She used it as leverage since THEY called HER after so long, got an extra 10% pay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search