Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 PM

84 posts, read 267,964 times

Advertisements

I get this question a lot. Every time I apply to a PT job and get an interview, the employer wants to know why I want to work PT. Who are we kidding here, I want a full-time job, but I'm applying to anything and everything that is available. I always tell them that I am looking for part-time or full-time because I can take either right now. They then come back with the "well if you get a full-time job you will quit our job." I understand that. However, if I get ANY job, I'm sticking with it for awhile.

So I just applied to a PT position today and got a response as to why I'm looking for PT work. I'm not sure what to say. I don't have a family/kids, and I'm out of college. I don't want to say I'm looking for full-time too as that will just knock me out of the competition as seen above. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure why this is any of their business anyhow. If I apply for a job, then I want the job, does it matter why? What if I had a personal health issue and could only work part-time hours. I wouldn't want to tell anyone that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times
A couple of benefits of part time work: you get an income and have enough time off to pursue other interests, school, a second job, etc. Something you could say is that you'd like to get your foot in the door and prove that you can make an impact, starting part time, and if the opportunity is there, full time later.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
tell them you have aspirations of becoming a writer or a photographer or an actor or something.....something that would require some concerted effort on your part and would limit your availability for a full-time job. Of course it needs to be something plausible--something you have at least a bit of interest in, even if its not something you have any interest in doing professionally. It just needs to be something that doesn't interfere with your availability for part-time work, and something to convince the employer that you really are deliberately choosing to work part-time rather than just looking for temp work.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
You should lie and say you don't need one right now and enjoy pursuing other stuff, like exercising, or kids on the side.

When you quit, just say circumstances change. They'll never know... This is unlike lying on your resume, etc., which I don't recommend.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Of course it is their business why you want the job. I think it is pretty silly to think otherwise. That being said, I would probably be "creative" in my answer as to not look like I am going to jump ship the first shot I would get at full time work.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:28 PM

84 posts, read 267,964 times
Thanks for the input.

Manderly, I think you misunderstood. They didn't ask "why do you want this job." They asked why do you want part-time work instead of full-time work. In this economy, there is a big difference in those questions. The wrong answer can get your resume thrown out. I don't think its "silly" at all to wonder as to why they are asking that question, and no I still don't think it's their business. When I apply to a full-time position, does the employer ask me "Why do you want to work full-time and not part-time?" No.
I know it's common for employers to ask "why do you want this job" or "why do you want to work here." But when they ask why I am looking for part-time instead of full-time, what would my answer accomplish? If I said I'm also looking for full-time they would probably throw my resume in the trash because they don't want to train me and then I leave. If I said I was a mom and needed to take care of my kids, they would probably think I wasn't flexible and again, resume in the trash. If I said I have health issues, I'm not reliable, so resume in the trash...etc.

This has just been my experience. I think Kodaka and ValueAddedWorker hit the nail on the head. I need to say I'm pursuing personal interests, which actually isn't a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search