Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 07:44 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times

Advertisements

Yet it's important to be concerned about racism?

Moderator cut: No politics, please.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-24-2018 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Reference to "left" appears to be political in nature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 07:49 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Why does it seem not to be acceptable to be concerned about anti-Semitism in America?

Probably because hard-core anti-Semitism in America is confined to an ignorant few on both the Low Left and the Low Right -- neither of which has enough knowledge of the history of, nor the diversity within (North) American Judaism, to understand what they're ranting about.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:58 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Maybe I am missing what you are referring to as I live in Canads, but how is it unacceptable to being concerned with Anti semitism in America? In Canada I have heard many people opposing to it just like I have about racism, sexism, anti Islam etc.

Who does not accept being against antisemitic words and actions?

Old 11-24-2018, 01:28 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Maybe I am missing what you are referring to as I live in Canads, but how is it unacceptable to being concerned with Anti semitism in America? In Canada I have heard many people opposing to it just like I have about racism, sexism, anti Islam etc.

Who does not accept being against anti-Semitic words and actions?
Perhaps I should have added the qualifier "North" America to the question in my post, as I did to the text itself.

But to emphasize the point: I have close friends in Canada who are immigrants -- Filipino and Catholic. They had very little exposure to any Jewish culture before setting up shop in Montreal, but have since had other avenues of enlightenment -- including a Jewish household employer. At their firstborn's Christening some years ago, the employer's family and I were the only non-Asians in attendance, and my friends reciprocated at the employer's grandson's brit milah.

It's not that much different in the small (pop 25000) industrial city where I grew up and still live. The community's one synagogue closed about fifteen years ago. There is a Hillel chapter at a medium-sized (enrollment 4000) college twelve miles away, but the closest active congregation is now in Hazleton, six miles further. New burials in the town's Jewish cemetery are increasingly rare, and a visitor from out of town usually has to ask around in order to find it,

And on a much more positive note, I see very little of the "knee-jerk" xenophobia which poisoned much of my parents' generation, and continued exposure to a wider world among those younger leads me to believe that this tend will continue.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-24-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 11-24-2018, 02:46 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Perhaps I should have added the qualifier "North" America to the question in my post, as I did to the text itself.

But to emphasize the point: I have close friends in Canada who are immigrants -- Filipino and Catholic. They had very little exposure to any Jewish culture before setting up shop in Montreal, but have since had other avenues of enlightenment -- including a Jewish household employer. At their firstborn's Christening some years ago, the employer's family and I were the only non-Asians in attendance, and my friends reciprocated at the employer's grandson's brit milah.

It's not that much different in the small (pop 25000) industrial city where I grew up and still live. The community's one synagogue closed about fifteen years ago. There is a Hillel chapter at a medium-sized (enrollment 4000) college twelve miles away, but the closest active congregation is now in Hazleton, six miles further. New burials in the town's Jewish cemetery are increasingly rare, and a visitor from out of town usually has to ask around in order to find it,

And on a much more positive note, I see very little of the "knee-jerk" xenophobia which poisoned much of my parents' generation, and continued exposure to a wider world among those younger leads me to believe that this tend will continue.
I grew up in the 50s and 60s a town of 1250 with three Jewish families , the kids in the other two families being either way older or way younger.

I still do not get why opposing antisemitism is view unacceptable in ether the US or Canada. Statistically actions of antisemitic nature have increased the last three or four years, however I see no evidence of being against it is unacceptable. I think maybe the closest congregation to my city of 70000 is either 164 or 300 km sway. I am not religious. In the NA media I see lots of articles and opinion pieces condemning hate including antisemitic ones.

One thing I would like to see is opposition to actions or policies of the Israeli government not be necessarily tagged as antisemitic any more than an opposition to an American government policy being considered anti American.

On a positive note a woman from Alberta while visiting her brother was charged and convicted with him as halacaust deniers and upon her return to Jasper, Alberta we stated that the town was even more hostile to her than before.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:26 PM

127 posts, read 147,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Not sure how to properly answer this without getting political but I’m going to try...

-A big component to this in my view is non-Jews don’t see anti-Semitism as a problem because for so long many Jews haven’t seen it as a problem. This is starting to change, but we are living in an era of 70% non-Orthodox intermarriage and any effort to maintain Jewish identity ends at age 12/13 for most people until they have kids or maybe attend a social mixer on campus at Hillel or go on a Birthright trip (if they do any of that)

-Many in progressive spaces don’t like Israel and see Jews today in America as being well established, well educated and generally successful and not as an ethnic and religious minority

-Ashkenazi Jews are wrongfully attributed as being “white”

-Jewish organizations, many Conservative and Reform shuls, day schools, camps, etc have focused almost exclusively on Tikkun Olam and Tzedakah and have become outlets to push progressive far left policies and “social justice”

Old 11-26-2018, 04:49 PM

919 posts, read 848,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Your question presupposes the answer.
It is perfectly acceptable to be concerned about anti-Semitism in N America or elsewhere. Who the Hell said it isn't?

Old 12-02-2018, 09:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Has anyone been concerned about these:

https://www.jta.org/2018/11/27/news-...-homes-seattle

11-Year-Old Jewish Boy in NY Attacked in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg Neighborhood | The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com | Hana Levi Julian | 19 Kislev 5779

Man arrested after attempted ramming attack on Orthodox Jews - Israel National News

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com...-to-make-soap/

Man arrested in Brooklyn for shouting 'Heil Hitler' at Jew - Israel National News

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/fbi...e-dc-neo-nazi/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/miami-...de-down-cross/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/swasti...o-area-school/

Pig's head hung on doorway of synagogue in central Israel - Israel National News

https://www.vosizneias.com/309485/20...as-hate-crime/

Older Religious Jew Beaten on Avenue J in Brooklyn, NY | The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com | Hana Levi Julian | 30 Heshvan 5779

https://www.algemeiner.com/2018/11/0...ic-hate-crime/

Brooklyn Synagogue Attacked as Jews Pray Inside | The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com | Hana Levi Julian | 28 Heshvan 5779

https://www.jpost.com/International/...-NYPost-570947

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,...385648,00.html

That's just November and the month isn't over yet.
Why would a Kosher food truck be operating on Shabbat?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism