Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 PM

22,267 posts, read 19,259,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Do you have a citation for your assertion that the majority of religious hate crimes are against Jews?
For Canada :
Nov. 30 2018
"Hate crimes against Jews in Canada have spiked 60 percent since last year, making them the most targeted minority group in the country for the second straight year."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haa...cent-1.6701643

For USA
2018 and 2016
Jews were the most targeted group in the USA for religious-motivated hate crimes in 2016, according to the FBI, accounting for 54% of offenses.

Hate crimes against Jews rise FBI reports
Nov 2018

Hate crimes against Jews in America rose last year and accounted for 58% percent of all religion-based hate crimes, according to data released by the FBI.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jta...bi-reports/amp

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-06-2018 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 08:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
For Canada :
Nov. 30 2018
"Hate crimes against Jews in Canada have spiked 60 percent since last year, making them the most targeted minority group in the country for the second straight year."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haa...cent-1.6701643

For USA
Jews were the most targeted group in the USA for religious-motivated hate crimes in 2016, according to the FBI, accounting for 54% of offenses.
The article also says hate crimes overall are up 47% Hate is on the rise in general. Has been in America for several years, I did not know the same was true for Canada.

And in the US, the hate is well-rounded. Rise in every type of hate group, not just white supremacists, who get all the press. Every type of hate group.

My contention, which some say is CT, is that as the income gap keeps getting wider and wider everywhere, with the have-nots and those that are have-nots at least relative to the extreme wealth of the tiny elite, they have us hating each other fighting for ever increasing tiny shares of the pie. Not an original thought, of course. Just the one I believe.

'They' would rather have us at each other's throats than turning on them. I shant participate. I have some issues with some things that some Orthodox Jews do, but I don't hate them for it. There is no group of people I hate and never will.

I get pretty furious with Israel, but anyone who blames all Jews, or even all Israelis, is extremely ignorant. Jews in Israel, plenty of them, agree with the same things many Liberals over here are angry about regarding Palestinians.

PS, did you note that this article said the hate crimes are coming from far LEFT groups? Doesn't that say that Israel is the issue? Why else would lift wingers hate Jews? It's not conservatives, as people like to point to all the time. The 'Alt-right'.

Anyway, appears to be very complicated and multi-faceted.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Are you calling for the destruction of ALL ethno-states then? (not just Israel)
I'm not calling for the 'destruction' of anything, but I will say that the new Nation state law Israel did has ALOT of people really furious.

There is also a deep divide that keeps getting wider between Orthodox and non Orthodox Jews. That isn't helping matters. Israel is supposed to be save haven for all Jews. Not just Orthodox. Yet they control who gets married, who is considered a legitimate convert, and many other things.

They roused a Rabbi from his bed to be taken for interrogation over performing a wedding. He isn't supposed to as a Conservative Jewish Rabbi.

Israel is less and less even pretending to be a democracy or considered a Western Country. That used to be the reason we are supposed to support it. 'The only democracy in the middle east'. Well it isn't anymore.

The settlements are a huge source of contention, and in that nation state law it said flat out, those WILL continue.

Ethnic cleansing, at least displacement, is required to do that. Took a flame thrower to that issue.

That right there has worsened the situation with Arabs/Muslims and the people who feel for them. I will never agree that people should be against Jewish people for this, but that is the nature of the world.

A lot of people hate Muslims due to Israel/Palestine as well. It goes both ways.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:51 PM

22,267 posts, read 19,259,001 times
Quote:
The article also says hate crimes overall are up 47% Hate is on the rise in general. Has been in America for several years, I did not know the same was true for Canada.

And in the US, the hate is well-rounded. Rise in every type of hate group, not just white supremacists, who get all the press. Every type of hate group.

My contention, which some say is CT, is that as the income gap keeps getting wider and wider everywhere, with the have-nots and those that are have-nots at least relative to the extreme wealth of the tiny elite, they have us hating each other fighting for ever increasing tiny shares of the pie. Not an original thought, of course. Just the one I believe.

'They' would rather have us at each other's throats than turning on them. I shant participate. I have some issues with some things that some Orthodox Jews do, but I don't hate them for it. There is no group of people I hate and never will.

I get pretty furious with Israel, but anyone who blames all Jews, or even all Israelis, is extremely ignorant. Jews in Israel, plenty of them, agree with the same things many Liberals over here are angry about regarding Palestinians.

PS, did you note that this article said the hate crimes are coming from far LEFT groups? Doesn't that say that Israel is the issue? Why else would lift wingers hate Jews? It's not conservatives, as people like to point to all the time. The 'Alt-right'.

Anyway, appears to be very complicated and multi-faceted.
No it is simple and straightforward that Jews are the most targeted group for religious hate crimes in both USA and Canada. Simple straightforward data and links provided.

Also simple and straightforward: Jews are less than half of 1 percent of the world population (0.2 % of the world population) and Jews are 1.4% of USA population. Yet in the USA 58% of religious hate crimes are against Jews.

So 58% % of the hate crimes in the USA are against 1.4% of the population. That is simple and straightforward. So no hate in the US is NOT "well rounded"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-06-2018 at 10:00 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 07:12 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,602,744 times
Quote:
It listed a higher % of hate crimes on religious grounds against Jews than against Muslims. I would have thought, in America, that would be the other way around with all the hatred against Muslims, which got more prominent after 9/11, in a huge way.
I know.
We hear about Islamophobia.
But all the antisemitic hate crimes don't seem to get much press

Old 12-07-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
No it is simple and straightforward that Jews are the most targeted group for religious hate crimes in both USA and Canada. Simple straightforward data and links provided.

Also simple and straightforward: Jews are less than half of 1 percent of the world population (0.2 % of the world population) and Jews are 1.4% of USA population. Yet in the USA 58% of religious hate crimes are against Jews.

So 58% % of the hate crimes in the USA are against 1.4% of the population. That is simple and straightforward. So no hate in the US is NOT "well rounded"
Yes.
Thank you for clarifying this

Old 12-08-2018, 08:34 AM

So... if Jews should rightfully be concerned about racism (as we all should be),
then should African-Americans be concerned about Anti-Semitism?

Old 12-08-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:

58% of hate crimes are not committed against Jews. 58% of the subset that are hate based on religion are.

Overall, more hate crimes are committed based on race.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
So... if Jews should rightfully be concerned about racism (as we all should be),
then should African-Americans be concerned about Anti-Semitism?
I don't feel that I understand the premise of your questions. The one in the OP suggests that someone/someones say we should not be concerned about antisemitism.

This question here suggests someone/someones are saying that Jews should be concerned about racism against blacks, but there is no reciprocation.

Are you referring to BLM? They are mainly about police brutality as I understand it. But yeah, I mean we should all be concerned about all of it.

All I am saying is that hate in general has been on the rise for years. The increase in every type of hate group has occurred.

The sensational headline in the article above says antisemitism is up 60%. That is WOW, until you continue reading to find that all hate crimes are up by 47%.

I am not downplaying antisemitism, but I am putting it in perspective. To me it is shocking that in general, hate hate hate is on the rise.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I don't feel that I understand the premise of your questions. The one in the OP suggests that someone/someones say we should not be concerned about antisemitism.

This question here suggests someone/someones are saying that Jews should be concerned about racism against blacks, but there is no reciprocation.

Are you referring to BLM? They are mainly about police brutality as I understand it. But yeah, I mean we should all be concerned about all of it.

All I am saying is that hate in general has been on the rise for years. The increase in every type of hate group has occurred.

The sensational headline in the article above says antisemitism is up 60%. That is WOW, until you continue reading to find that all hate crimes are up by 47%.

I am not downplaying antisemitism, but I am putting it in perspective. To me it is shocking that in general, hate hate hate is on the rise.
Not referring to BLM at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism